Development of shad0ws : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Bike Build Forum

Old 09-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
shad0ws
I have 2 belly buttons.

Bike: '09 R6
Development of shad0ws

Been wanting to put one of this up for a while but just super duper lazy about it.

Started off at the beginning of riding season in 2011. Had a bunch of friends buy bikes and all tried to convince me to get one as well. Told everybody no because I'm so accident prone. Had an 03 Cobra at the time and didn't need anything to go fast as that was all I needed. Then I let a woman into my head and sold the cobra for pickup truck (huge mistake, miss that car everyday). Now I was itching for speed, had split up said evil woman. Started looking at bikes and always loved the R6. Went to the local Yamaha shop and fell in love.

Was/is living at home with "roommates" and was told if I bought that bike I will be paying rent. Well, I pay rent now. Started off just riding around with friends around town, you know, squiding it up.

Then I discovered this forum and the true transformation started to begin. Started going up to the local mountain with my friend from work and trying to improve my cornering skills. All I did was scour this forum for information on proper technique. I took it very slow, never took myself out of my comfort zone my bike. I'm one of those people who like to learn the right way the first time.

I soon discovered that you get what you pay for in gear. Had a Icon helmet and had multiple hot spots on my head and decided to upgrade.

Also went with the clean look around this time. Removed all the stock decals.

Rode like this for a little while still hitting up the mountain everytime I rode.

I then started working on getting my ass to the track because I never really felt safe on public roads especially on mountain due to cars, gravel, etc...

Black Friday came around and Riders Discount threw a killer sale, I couldn't let it pass by. Made all of these purchases with advice and things I read on this forum. Thanks for all the info you guys post.

Sat on this stuff through winter waiting on the season schedule to be posted for track organizations. Eventually heard of California Superbike School from a couple members and started doing some research. Was kind of hesitant of making the purchase considering it was double the cost for a single day with CSS compared to the local org. Ended up PM'ing Chief and he assured me, it was worth every penny. Made the purchase for May 15 or 14, can't really remember at VIR on the North Course.

Started a looking at what I needed for the track on minimum for the R6.
Well, that brought the arrival of these and some Vesrah RJL pads along with making the switch to RBF600 fluid.

Next I had to subdue my need for a DB windscreen. Ended up going with the Zero Gravity Clear DB. Sherman would be so proud. Also picked up some Stompgrips as well.

Next on the agenda was tires, did a whole lot of research on this and ended up going with Dunlop Q2's. Put these tires on the bike and wow what a difference. 10x better than the stock tires.

It was now time to prep for the track . Got the bike all taped up and was ready to roll out.

Got down to VIR and woke up Eric (My94GT). He had had registered to the same day as well. Props to him for making the long drive down for a 1 day-er. Ended up raining for most of the day but we got 2 dry sessions in at the end of the day. Had a freaking blast and fell in love with VIR. Also realized that the track is where it's at.

After coming home from this, I was a changed man. Tried riding on the street a few more times. Never was the same, the street just became boring. All I wanted to do was get back to the track. I was in love with the track. Had my next day planned out at VIR with NESBA on June 30. Paid for my registration and started getting the bike ready for their tech requirements. Safety wired the oil drain plug, filter, dipstick, and oil fill cap along with switching to Water Wetter for coolant.

June 30th finally came around and got everything ready the day before. Forecast was calling for 100+ temps, wasn't too happy with that but I couldn't let the opportunity pass me by after multiple people trying to convince me not to go in that kind of heat. Pussies

Went to Wal-Mart that night to pick up some snacks and stuff and then an epic storm came through. 80-100 mph winds so walmart wouldn't let anybody leave and put us back in the employee break room. I didn't get out of there till about 11pm. And of course when I got home the power was out which kind of killed all hopes of me making it to the track the next day as it takes a serious set of speakers to wake me up. All night I was receiving calls from friends who had trees down in their yards and such. Didn't get to bed until about 1am and just gave up on making it to the track. Got up the next day and started cleaning up the mess the storm had made. Didn't get the bike off the trailer until late in the afternoon. The forecast didn't lie that day, it was hot as balls. Canyon dancer even melted my grips onto my bars.

So feeling uber depressed about missing my trackday I signed up for 3 days at NJMP. Best decision ever. Took a week of vacation at work and make some purchases. Hooked up with Chief for woodcraft accessories. And also purchased a set of "just in-case" tires to take with me to the track.

Made the long trek to NJ and was prepared for on freaking awesome weekend. Met Ant, Chief, Burg, Walt, Talise, Billdozer, Lee, Carlos, Eric, and Roger down at the track. We all a freaking blast, I made huge improvements over this weekend. Chief took the time set-up my bike for me and even sat down with me and watched some of my videos from previous sessions and gave me pointers. I owe you guys, when people say everyone at the track is always more than willing to help, they mean. Made some really good friends that weekend. I appreciate all the advice everyone gave me that weekend, it truly helped . Now on with the pictures!!!

The whole weekend I was fighting my helmet. Couldn't get my head down like I wanted to because it kept hitting my hump on my suit and pushing the helmet over my eyes. Decided it was time for an upgrade, needed something with more of a racefit. Picked up a Shoe X-12, after seeing billy's I couldn't resist. So sexy...

Now I know you see my fairings sitting in the background of the helmet pic. Well chief held a gun to my head and forced me to make another purchase (not really, I begged him). Picked up a set of Armour Bodies and some bleeders.

Currenlty the bike is sitting in the garage with the lower off waiting on ANOTHER package from chief to take care of my exhaust. Also waiting on my brother in law to bring me some paint samples so we can start work on the plastics. Looking to get back to VIR on October. Oh and here is a render of my plans for paint.

So now I'm trying to build an awesome bike and get plenty of seat time at the track and about to start construction of my first home in a few months. Thanks for reading guys.

Last edited by shad0ws; 09-05-2012 at 04:36 PM.
shad0ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
babymilo36
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: 2014 Grom
Re: Development of shad0ws

Sherman IS proud

CMRA #620
Wreck It Pandas #68

My 2008 R6 race build

babymilo36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
F4MOU$
BBBRRRAAAPPPPPP

Bike: 07 R6

Nice write up man. Love the changes you've gone through. If I only had the money I would be in the same boat as you. Luckily I got a new job to help with that, but unfortunately I have some priorities I need to take care of first (bills and then gear to go to the track) before I can use my money as play money.

2007 Yamaha YZF R6R
Toce Brothers Powdercoating Shermoto Levers GPR V1 Damper Mirror Block Off's Frame Sliders Smoked Tail Light/Signals/Windshield Candy Red Billet Grips/Swing Arm Spools/Bar Ends DDM tuning 6000K HID's Fender Eliminator Debadged K&N Filter Bar End Mirrors Red Third Eye USB Phone Charger

www.brapcap.com
F4MOU$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Illernoise
RESPECT

Sweet tits Ben!! Can't wait to see it out there again next season!!
08 R6 Track Build

RIP Jason Jones - snocompton
RESPECT
Illernoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
shad0ws
I have 2 belly buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4MOU$ View Post
Nice write up man. Love the changes you've gone through. If I only had the money I would be in the same boat as you. Luckily I got a new job to help with that, but unfortunately I have some priorities I need to take care of first (bills and then gear to go to the track) before I can use my money as play money.
I know how you feel man, I went through the same thing as well. I just recently finished school and got a pretty big raise at work. You can definitely tell where I started spending all the money. lol. Hard work always pays off man, keep on keeping on!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
shad0ws
I have 2 belly buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
Sherman IS proud
After looking back through the thread I realized I didn't mention your levers.

Just tried to find a pic of them installed, no luck. Everyone already knows they are tits though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illernoise View Post
Sweet tits Ben!! Can't wait to see it out there again next season!!
Thanks man, I'm definitely looking forward to getting up with you guys again next season.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
$Lindz$
I eat my R6

Bike: '07 R6

Awesome dude!

I like the rendering (I recognize the "base", Haha). Is that blue gonna be classic Yamaha blue? And the yellow is neon? It's gonna pop like crazy. Will look wicked.
$Lindz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
F4MOU$
BBBRRRAAAPPPPPP

Bike: 07 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0ws View Post
I know how you feel man, I went through the same thing as well. I just recently finished school and got a pretty big raise at work. You can definitely tell where I started spending all the money. lol. Hard work always pays off man, keep on keeping on!!!
Yeah I hear ya and see that . I got quite a hefty raise just switch companies but doing the same job. But like I said I've been trying to pay off bills for 2 years and just not making enough to do it. With the raise I got I would easily be able to pay them off next year with a bit extra. Looking to shoot to do my first track day in about a year would be ideal for me hopefully.

2007 Yamaha YZF R6R
Toce Brothers Powdercoating Shermoto Levers GPR V1 Damper Mirror Block Off's Frame Sliders Smoked Tail Light/Signals/Windshield Candy Red Billet Grips/Swing Arm Spools/Bar Ends DDM tuning 6000K HID's Fender Eliminator Debadged K&N Filter Bar End Mirrors Red Third Eye USB Phone Charger

www.brapcap.com
F4MOU$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
shad0ws
I have 2 belly buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $Lindz$ View Post
Awesome dude!

I like the rendering (I recognize the "base", Haha). Is that blue gonna be classic Yamaha blue? And the yellow is neon? It's gonna pop like crazy. Will look wicked.
Haha, Your bike is the single handed inspiration for mine. I fell in love with your scheme. Stole the rendering you had and went to town (hope you don't mind). Yeah, I'm going to keep the Yami blue so I don't have to paint the tank and the yellow is going to be flourescent. It should be quite loud on the track.