'03 R6 vs. '07 R6 track bike : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
WhiteKnite
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: '03 R6 Track, '11 F800ST
'03 R6 vs. '07 R6 track bike

So, I am having a bit of trouble deciding between two bikes at my local shop. They will be used almost exclusively for the track like 80/20%. I have an F800ST road bike, so maybe a quick trip out to the twisties now and then.

I love the look of the 07, and it has nice rear-sets, a steering damper, sliders and spools, nice levers, piped, safety wired, and probably some stuff I'm forgetting, but basically fully upgraded and track ready. The red and white color even matches my leathers. Thing is, it has like 32,000 miles on it and was track ridden (but never crashed too hard I don't think, steering stops and frame are perfect and no rash on it anywhere).

Now, they also have an '03 that was in a minor crash and is waiting for a set of cheapo auctmarts fairings to arrive. It doesn't have any upgrades but has lower mileage (like 20,000) and is quite a bit cheaper. Looks well taken care of over all. Big chicken strips and touring tires so at least the previous owner probably wasn't pushing it.

I live in S Korea so prices are different (MUCH higher here usually) but the '03 is about 5 grand and the '07 is like 7 grand (pretty much going rate here). I am looking at racing in the 600 class here in a year or two but it is pretty competitive That '07 would be ready to go racing with a few minor mods. I am thinking I would need to resell the '03 and get something more modern later if I go into competition.

What would you guys do?
WhiteKnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
Mr. Azim
I eat my R6

Re: '03 R6 vs. '07 R6 track bike

Buy the track-prepped bike.... even though the 03 is "cheaper", you'll spend just as much, if not more, buying the extra parts and other goodies that you'll need/like to have. Seeing as it had touring tires I can only assume it was a street bike?
SOAR Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters
Trackside Cuts Custom Leather & Vinyl
MikeyMoto Racing Lightweight Brake Rotors, Levers & Guards
Racer5 & Speedworx Racer Training & Motorcycle Accessories/Parts/Repairs
Bluestreak Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
Vortex Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
Mr. Azim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
WhiteKnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Azim View Post
Buy the track-prepped bike.... even though the 03 is "cheaper", you'll spend just as much, if not more, buying the extra parts and other goodies that you'll need/like to have. Seeing as it had touring tires I can only assume it was a street bike?
Yep, I was thinking along those lines too. Thanks for the input. The '03 is bone stock except for a slip-on. I have never had a bike with such high mileage though, but after some research I guess it really isn't all that high, even with the track time it has seen. I will be riding the Korean F1 track which has some pretty complex corners, so the slipper clutch could come in handy on the 07. Another nice thing is the rear sets are adjustable so I could drop them down for a bit more comfort when i take it out on the street.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

my 2 cents, having raced an r6 for the past 9 years..
for a track day bike (and maybe even as a race bike in the rain and at some tracks).. i would SERIOUSLY consider the 2003.
Now, had you said 08 or later vs. 03? I would more likely tell you to get the 08+, but the fact remains the 03 may be a better choice for the following reasons. Would have been nice if you provided a U.S. $ difference

1- the 03-04 has probably the best "feel" front ends of any r6. The non-inverted forks provide lots of feedback to the rider.
1a- the 2nd gen bike is EASIER for most to ride fast.
2- steel valves. They don't wear as fast as the TI valves of the 3rd gen bike. And at 30,000+ miles on that 07?? THOSE VALVES are not long for this world. especially track mileage vs. street. $1100 for a set of TI valves, and $200+ to have the head seats cut.
3- The 03 WILL STOMP the 07 in the midrange power. No bull shit. Fact.
4- the 07 CAN hustle around the track faster, but only in the hands of a capable rider.
5- it's an 07. as i stated, if it were an 08 with a better front end, softer frame, 10hp more in the midrange?
6-parts. There will be lots of spare stuff for the 03.
7-the stock 3rd gen slipper isn't bad, but you can likely find an aftermarket if you REALLY have to have a slipper clutch. remember, your saving a wad of money on the less expensive bike. But that said, at a course with lots of tight turns, MORE engine braking COULD help.

again, this isn't a perspective of what i read, this is the perspective of having raced and 03, and 04, two 05's, two 07's (god they sucked) and now two 08's (love em).
Still, if the 2nd gen bike had the aerodynamics of the 3rd gen, and the top end power of a built 3rd gen, i would still race a 2nd gen bike at some tracks and in the rain. That 2nd gen bike was DARN GOOD.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 10-14-2012 at 06:54 AM.
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
WhiteKnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
my 2 cents, having raced an r6 for the past 9 years..
for a track day bike (and maybe even as a race bike in the rain and at some tracks).. i would SERIOUSLY consider the 2003.
Now, had you said 08 or later vs. 03? I would more likely tell you to get the 08+, but the fact remains the 03 may be a better choice for the following reasons. Would have been nice if you provided a U.S. $ difference

1- the 03-04 has probably the best "feel" front ends of any r6. The non-inverted forks provide lots of feedback to the rider.
1a- the 2nd gen bike is EASIER for most to ride fast.
2- steel valves. They don't wear as fast as the TI valves of the 3rd gen bike. And at 30,000+ miles on that 07?? THOSE VALVES are not long for this world. especially track mileage vs. street. $1100 for a set of TI valves, and $200+ to have the head seats cut.
3- The 03 WILL STOMP the 07 in the midrange power. No bull shit. Fact.
4- the 07 CAN hustle around the track faster, but only in the hands of a capable rider.
5- it's an 07. as i stated, if it were an 08 with a better front end, softer frame, 10hp more in the midrange?
6-parts. There will be lots of spare stuff for the 03.
7-the stock 3rd gen slipper isn't bad, but you can likely find an aftermarket if you REALLY have to have a slipper clutch. remember, your saving a wad of money on the less expensive bike. But that said, at a course with lots of tight turns, MORE engine braking COULD help.

again, this isn't a perspective of what i read, this is the perspective of having raced and 03, and 04, two 05's, two 07's (god they sucked) and now two 08's (love em).
Still, if the 2nd gen bike had the aerodynamics of the 3rd gen, and the top end power of a built 3rd gen, i would still race a 2nd gen bike at some tracks and in the rain. That 2nd gen bike was DARN GOOD.
Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to reply. You have some great points. My prices were in US dollars, the 5 grand vs 7 grand was an estimate in USD. The exact prices at today's rate are $6,712.50 for the '07 and $4922.50 for the '03. Looking on cycle trader I guess those prices really aren't that far off U.S. prices now that the exchange rate has begun to favor KRW a bit more.

I always assumed inverted forks were all around better, but my only comparison is from my old CBR1000rr to my F800ST which is kind of apples to oranges since (among other things) that F800 doesn't even have cartridge forks and it is severely under-sprung for my weight.

This decision is so tough because even test riding the bikes won't tell me much about the track performance. I really just have to rely on other people's experience. Thanks for the input and great to hear from someone who has had both on the track!

Last edited by WhiteKnite; 10-14-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

no problem.
the 07 is just a very stiff bike. they fixed some of those issues as WELL as got a 10hp midrange loss back in the 08 and later bikes. Lots of info on this in older threads..
You can get a bit more feel from the 07 with an 08 or later lower triple clamp, and cutting the frame spar out that runs from side to side under the airbox. (not hard)
The missing 10hp though? big $ fix.

A former champion roadracer from Canada, Pascal Picotte, has been quoted as saying the 04 r6 was his favorite bike (same as o3). The NON inverted forks proved awesome front end feel, and the motor is amazing. Will never have quite the top end the 3rd gen bike will have, but you need MID range to get around most tracks.. and if your saying the tracks you will be on will have lots of slow tight corners, you have to accelerate out of those. You want MID range. the 07 is a screamer. Due to the lack of midrange power, If you can't keep it near the rev limiter, you can't go faster than the 2nd gen bike. Throw into the mix the numb-er feeling front end and i bet money if you rode both back to back.. you would go faster on the 03.

not saying the 3rd gen bike isn't good! it is. Just it is way more race oriented and needs requires a better rider to go fast.
Talk the dealer down on the 03.. the 07 will always sell for more just because it's a 3rd gen bike. Few understand the capability of the 2nd gen bike though, having only track ridden the 3rd gen bikes!

My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 10-14-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
Terrible
Premium Member

Hmm….07 track bike…I'm sure if you poked around on this site you can find one…

2/1/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdamage2122 View Post
Same to you. Hope someday you are put in an unfair leathal position so I can say "well life just isn't fair...". I'm sure your family will agree
Terrible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible View Post
Hmm….07 track bike…I'm sure if you poked around on this site you can find one…
just need to ship it to S Korea.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Sherry
I eat my R6

Bike: 2005 R6

Melk had some nice points.

I don't have a whole lot to add, but by personal experience I have my 05 out on the track and I LOVE it! Never ridden a newer R6, though I don't quite like the seating position of them as compared to my bike.

From reading your posts, I would likely go with the 03, learn to ride it and ride it well as it is, while saving yourself a couple grand, and even more over the next year or two, until you decide to get into racing. At that point you can reevaluate your situation and get an even newer bike or one with nice mods that would be competitive for your racing experience.
*2010 Yamaha WR250X (super moto)
*2004 Yamaha Zuma (pit bike)
*2005 Yamaha TTR230 (dirt)
*2007 Honda CRF150rb (dirt)
WERA #127
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Terrible
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
just need to ship it to S Korea.
I know right! I'd be willing to meet half way---just not sure where exactly that would be!

You make an interesting point about changing out the triples to 08 and later..I have some 2011 ones laying around…if I keep the bike I may switch them out. Straight swap or ?

2/1/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdamage2122 View Post
Same to you. Hope someday you are put in an unfair leathal position so I can say "well life just isn't fair...". I'm sure your family will agree
Terrible is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement