Flush mount USB port to power iPhone : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Appearance and Exterior Mods

Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
mick86
Premium Member

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6
Arrow Flush mount USB port to power iPhone

Not sure if this is the right section for this but I was considering doing something like the below link:

http://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechan...ke-zomg-96467/

Has anyone else attempted this, where did you draw power from and where did you mount the USB port?

I was considering drawing accessories power from the horn, headlights or something in that vicinity and mounting the USB port on the plastic panel under the handle bars, I don't know the name of this panel.

Plan to combine this with a mount such as this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120925011...ht_1510wt_1397

Then add a cradle that will attach to my iPhone.

Hoping to hear from some more experienced bike modifiers, I'm more used to working with cars.

Mick.
mick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
buddahson
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 Charcoal R6
Re: Flush mount USB port to power iPhone

It would be much easier and probably about the same cost to buy a 12V iphone charger and just hard wire it in. Even with the rubber plugs, I'd be concerned with water shorting out the USB with the linked method.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
toysareforboys
Two Bro's=ORGASM *nohomo*

Bike: 07 R1

Princess Auto (canadian store I believe), sells waterproof USB ports that work great. They don't "fast charge" the iDevices but work great otherwise.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...B-Power-Outlet

Works sweet.

-Jamie M.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
elbaldwino
lolerbaiting

Bike: 2007 YZF-R6

I just hardwired a car charger to the battery. You can get a universal one for like $12 from radio shack. I broke the traditional cigarette lighter housing and hard wired it to the battery. I did add a fuse just in case. Have had no issues in the rain and it charges my phone just fine.

http://www.shermotoracing.com/

How to install Shermoto levers

http://youtu.be/Ts-les5mTxI?hd=1

www.tucsonsb.com
elbaldwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
mick86
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
Princess Auto (canadian store I believe), sells waterproof USB ports that work great. They don't "fast charge" the iDevices but work great otherwise.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...B-Power-Outlet

Works sweet.

-Jamie M.
I had come across this model elsewhere albeit at a more expensive price

http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

Seems the conses is that the project i was considering may look nice but possibly isn't robust enough for wet weather.

Did those of you who wired something up run the cables all the way from the battery and along the side of the tank or did you opt to take power fro ma source up near the instrument cluster? Ideally I'd liek the end result to look clean and as close to OEM as possible.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
mick86
Premium Member

I also looked into options like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcycl...ht_1298wt_1397
Old 10-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
ReasonableDoubt
Will Work For Bike

Bike: 2005 R6; 2006 R6 - A.E.

Get something like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=3889591#

As other have said, it's easiest & more efficient to install a "cigarette lighter" adapter, plus your phone would charge faster than via USB. 5-10 min job and costs <$12, including a cheap car charger from ebay.
ReasonableDoubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
toysareforboys
Two Bro's=ORGASM *nohomo*

Bike: 07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick86 View Post
Did those of you who wired something up run the cables all the way from the battery and along the side of the tank or did you opt to take power fro ma source up near the instrument cluster? Ideally I'd liek the end result to look clean and as close to OEM as possible.
Depends, if you only want it to charge when the bike is running you can wire it to the headlight wires up front for power. If you want it to charge when the bike is off you'd need to wire it right to the battery, with a switch and fuse.

-Jamie M.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Ralfferly
the Blue Meanie

Bike: 07 R-6 06 Road Warrior

If you go to auto zone you can get one for about $5.00 that has a rubber plug to protect from the weather. It will fit in a opening under the panel on left side under the handle bars. It is close to the tank and this is the most out of the way spot that I could find. Just the outlet, some wire connectors, wire, an inline fuse ans some shrink wrap to protect the outlet from grounding and weather proofing on the under side. Just measure like three times before you drill in to that plastic panel, you want to do it right the first time. I found any other spot would severely interfere with the handle bars movement. U-turns will get a little tight, but they were tight in the beginning. When I get home tomorrow, I will take photos of the area I am talking about and post them on here. I will not be able to take any completed product photos due to my bike getting smashed by a suburban last November. But good luck.
Ralfferly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
mick86
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralfferly View Post
If you go to auto zone you can get one for about $5.00 that has a rubber plug to protect from the weather. It will fit in a opening under the panel on left side under the handle bars. It is close to the tank and this is the most out of the way spot that I could find. Just the outlet, some wire connectors, wire, an inline fuse ans some shrink wrap to protect the outlet from grounding and weather proofing on the under side. Just measure like three times before you drill in to that plastic panel, you want to do it right the first time. I found any other spot would severely interfere with the handle bars movement. U-turns will get a little tight, but they were tight in the beginning. When I get home tomorrow, I will take photos of the area I am talking about and post them on here. I will not be able to take any completed product photos due to my bike getting smashed by a suburban last November. But good luck.
Thank you, pictures would be much appreciated. Sorry to hear about the crash :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement