Quick question : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 10-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
CRACKERhead
Knowledge is Power

Bike: '99 Yamaha R6
Quick question

So after syncing the carbs on my '99 (thanks to research done on this forum), im hearing a noise coming from the engine and it sounds pretty much like the valves/tappets.

I know in the manual it says that u should first set the timing and valve clearances before moving on to synchronizing but this has been done when I serviced and replaced the cct about 1000miles back.

Should I have I checked the valve clearances again before syncing? Can the syncing be the cause of the noise that I'm hearing now? If so how and why?

The carbs was heavy out of balance so dispite the noise, she is pulling and reving up way better with more power. Idling is also much more stable and revs are coming down nicely to idle. I still feel throttle response is a bit sluggish from idle tho

Any input will be appreciated

Cape Town
South Africa
CRACKERhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
CRACKERhead
Knowledge is Power

Re: Quick question

Anyone? Sorry if this is a dumb question but i'm a newbie to bikes

Cape Town
South Africa
Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
2004R6Rider
Ride Blue

Valve tick is pretty distinct; however, most engines, to some degree, will run with a barely-audible ticking sound. If you recently adjusted the valve clearances, I wouldn't worry about it, unless what you are hearing is OBVIOUS valve tick.
2004R6Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
CRACKERhead
Knowledge is Power

The sound is definitely coming from under the valve cover. (did the screwdriver to ear thing)

Whats puzzling is that its only evident after the carb sync. Engine was quiet after replacing the cam chain + tensioner and before syncing carbs.

If this is normal valve tick, could it then be that its only evident now because the engine is now running at its full potential since the carbs are now balanced?

Cape Town
South Africa
Old 11-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
CRACKERhead
Knowledge is Power

Guys I'm paranoid here.

I took off the bottom cowlings just to get closer to the engine. I'm even more paranoid now coz the knocking sound is coming from the lower end as well.

How do I go about diagnosing this, coz I'm hearing the same sound under the valve cover and in the lower end. So is the sound travelling down from the valves or up from the rods...

When I give throttle the sound doesn't get louder but gets faster with the revs. Its there throughout the entire rev range from idle. When I drive its still there and I can even feel a vibration. Also, the knocking is not really that loud. U hav2 put ur ear real close to the engine to actually hear it. What bothers me is the vibration that its causing

How would I go about uploading a sound clip or video clip, would it be the same as uploading a pic?

Cape Town
South Africa
Old 11-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
What year bike and how many miles?

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Shush319
Big ol pile of them bones

Bike: 01' CLE R6, 88' GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
What year bike and how many miles?
99 duh.......

OP, how did you "adjust" the valves, "sync" the carbs? Did you get a new OEM CCT, or an aftermarket manual CCT? If you pull in the clutch does the sound seem less or go away?

CCS Rookie 2014

Last edited by Shush319; 11-03-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Shush319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
CRACKERhead
Knowledge is Power

Its a 99 with 37000 miles

Cam chain and tensioner both came from yamaha. There was a hard start problem when warmed up so checked the valve clearances. I did not do this myself so I don't know how far out the clearanses was or which required adjusting.

The noise is there in nuetral with clutch in and out, and while driving with clutch in and out

Cape Town
South Africa
Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
CRACKERhead
Knowledge is Power

Sorry, misread the question. Its an oem cct not a manual one. I synced the carbs myself using a homemade manometer, 2 bottles method. Syncd 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, then 2 and 3

Cape Town
South Africa
Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
Shush319
Big ol pile of them bones

Bike: 01' CLE R6, 88' GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKERhead View Post
Its a 99 with 37000 miles

Cam chain and tensioner both came from yamaha. There was a hard start problem when warmed up so checked the valve clearances. I did not do this myself so I don't know how far out the clearanses was or which required adjusting. Does it start easy after this?

The noise is there in nuetral with clutch in and out, and while driving with clutch in and out
They all make some "ticking noise". Some more than others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKERhead View Post
Sorry, misread the question. Its an oem cct not a manual one. (OE CCT SUKZ Ballz!)I synced the carbs myself using a homemade manometer, 2 bottles method. Syncd 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, then 2 and 3
Really hard to get it right like this...... When you make the adjustment between 2-3, 1 and 4 will move some too. Its best to use the proper tool for the job. You can get a Motion Pro 4 way gauge off eBay (click link below) fairly cheap an well worth the $$ IMHO:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTION-PRO-S...50cb7e&vxp=mtr

CCS Rookie 2014

Last edited by Shush319; 11-03-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Shush319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement