Keeping the rear solid on landing : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Reactor
End of the month!

Keeping the rear solid on landing

Here is a question for the experienced.

I have lifted off both wheels while on track. It seems every time it happens, the rear gets squirly on landing? What gives? Suspension set, bike performs well the only thing is I am not running a damper. Is that what I need to keep the bike settled when coming down? The rear normally touches first, it happens so fast I can't tell if it starts before or after the front touches down.
Reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Reactor
End of the month!

Re: Keeping the rear solid on landing

Other times both seem to touchdown at the same time. My thinking is that the rear doesn't get silly until the front touches and the wheels are not aligned for whatever reason (normally me). And yes, I get bad head shake too. I know I need a damper just for that reason alone.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
S3aturnR
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

throttle input is what's gonna make the back loose on landing. either too much or too little. input on the bars is what gets you headshake. it's difficult to lift the front and stay neutral on the bars, tho. a damper will help that, but i think it's important to understand why the bike does what it does before you mask it with parts...

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Reactor
End of the month!

hmmm.... more of a maintenance throttle type thing?

Yea, that is why I am asking. Thanks
Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
So you have a track were you get air born? Try to land both at the same time or rear slightly first. Stay on the throttle.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Reactor
End of the month!

Yea but you really have to try to do it or be crazy aggressive on the gas. The crest at the exit of turn 10a at Mid-Ohio will send you airborn if you have little regard for the slight right turn at the bottom of the crest. But is repeatable.

I am still trying to wrap my head around it. I can keep it on the ground by putting more body weight forward and/or a slight roll off pre crest or by simply going slower or even being in a higher gear. Since going slower isn't really an option right now and a higher gear feels sluggish, I am looking at rider error first and other stuff second.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
theturtle7023
Theturtle7023

Bike: 2007 R6S, 2007 R6R

If you are exiting a turn, maybe you aren't going completely straight yet so it gets a little sideways in the air. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...s3slbGY#t=104s
Old 10-31-2012, 05:20 AM   #8
Reactor
End of the month!

I would bet it is similar to that, front up higher than the rear. Rear really a few inches off the ground with a wiggle on landing.

Now let me look at this differently, how do the fast guys carry speed over crests? I see other riders go over that crest without leaving the ground going faster than me. Why do I jump and they don't?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Try keeping steady throttle over the crest. Not accelerating but not slowing down either.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

not sure how serious of a question this is to be honest, but possibly try rear brake over the crest.. stay on the gas, but a little rear brake keeps the front down. some have to do the same out of the bowl at turn 4 homestead, and exiting the chicane at Daytona, and cresting turn 4 at Barber..
mostly just keep loose on the bars too. let the bike drift a bit, especially up the big hill of turn 4 at Barber. You know in your head the track turns right at the crest, so you instinctively wanna push the right bar to go right, well, if the front is light as you crest the hill and ya are pushing, the wheel wont' be straight. You get all kinds of wobble, and you grip the bike even harder, which compounds the problem putting those forces through your body into the REST of the bike. There is tons of room to the left of t4 there, just let the bike run wide with little bar input and steady throttle.

I give that as an example as i don't race roadA. but principles may be the same. there are lots of things to work on to go faster.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement