2012 R6 Exhaust Questions : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Exhaust and fuel delivery

Old 10-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
DeathMachine
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2012 Yamaha R6
2012 R6 Exhaust Questions

Ok, so I don't plan on getting a full exhaust for my bike, but I wanted something that sounded good without being ridiculous, so I decided to go with a Jardine GP1 slip on megaphone pipe thing. Now I have a couple questions when it comes to upgrading exhaust. Here goes:

First: When removing my stock muffler assembly, is there anything I have to watch out for? Like are there any sensors or cables or anything attached to the stock muffler? Also does it just unbolt off by clamps? I'm waiting for the Jardine to get here so I want to know how to swap pipes before I go into it? I know it can't be hard, just wanna know what, if anything, will get in my way.

Second: Upon installing a slip on, do I need to retune the bike? Or can I run it on the stock tune and be ok? Being the cat and all that is still there.

Third: I saw something floating around about smog block off plates by Graves, what are they and would I need them for anything?

Thanks guys.
DeathMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
r6cali
R6

Bike: R6
I went through the same process. You should look for my thread I asked the same question. Maybe other questions you may have will be answered on that thread. I'm on mobile right now so I can't really link you to it.

But I also have a 2012 and yes the stock exhaust does remove fairly easy. There are two cables that connect to it. I did the exup removal (diy guide is also provided here) which ain't very hard and took care of those cables.

As far as the Jardine slip on, noise is about 10 percent louder
You'll have to remove the muffler for a louder tone I believe that what it's keeping it quite

Anyhow ill let more experience riders give you the 411 on this

I'm a new rider with little knowledge just trying to help out from what I learn from here
r6cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
Eric10301
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Track Bike
Re: 2012 R6 Exhaust Questions

Don't worry about having to re-tune your bike, power commanders, or block off plates. Those are only needed when you decide to upgrade your headers or remove the cat. The stock slipon comes off easily enough but you will have the exup cables dangling there until you decide to do something with them.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
DeathMachine
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10301 View Post
Don't worry about having to re-tune your bike, power commanders, or block off plates. Those are only needed when you decide to upgrade your headers or remove the cat. The stock slipon comes off easily enough but you will have the exup cables dangling there until you decide to do something with them.
Alright sweet thanks. But what are the exup cables? And since they will no longer be used what's the best way to take care of them?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
DeathMachine
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMachine View Post
Alright sweet thanks. But what are the exup cables? And since they will no longer be used what's the best way to take care of them?
Ok so I feel like a moron. Did a little research on the exup cables. Still don't know what EXUP stands for or what their purpose is but I know now that it is a servo system that controls the butterfly valve in the stock muffler assembly. I looked up the DIY thread on removing the cables, and instead of doing a bunch of wire work to "trick" the ecu, I'd much rather spend the 50$ and buy an EXUP emulator. It'd probably be cleaner and much easier. There are quite a few manufacturers of it so if you guys have any preferences on which one to go with that'd be appreciated. Otherwise I'm just going to go with the Graves one.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
pickpocket293
iRun

Bike: Sold off in pieces.

Search... or look in my signature. Christ.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s? HERE
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250? HERE
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer? HERE
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz? HERE
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH? HERE
  • How does rotating mass work? HERE
pickpocket293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Smack9x
wifey = R6

Bike: 2011 R6 Red SE
Send a message via Yahoo to Smack9x

I got the Jardine dropped the exhaust silencer and put some cable ties around the exup cables to secure it. No issues no worries I did 3k miles with setup this season. Next season MJS headers will be in place and stock slipon/ex up system will go back on.
Smack9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
OhioYJ
I eat my R6

My FAQ stickied at the top of this section answers all your questions. There is a section just for the EXUP and explains what it is doing.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
R6_350z
Living The Dream

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMachine View Post
Ok, so I don't plan on getting a full exhaust for my bike, but I wanted something that sounded good without being ridiculous, so I decided to go with a Jardine GP1 slip on megaphone pipe thing. Now I have a couple questions when it comes to upgrading exhaust. Here goes:

First: When removing my stock muffler assembly, is there anything I have to watch out for? Like are there any sensors or cables or anything attached to the stock muffler? Also does it just unbolt off by clamps? I'm waiting for the Jardine to get here so I want to know how to swap pipes before I go into it? I know it can't be hard, just wanna know what, if anything, will get in my way.

Second: Upon installing a slip on, do I need to retune the bike? Or can I run it on the stock tune and be ok? Being the cat and all that is still there.

Third: I saw something floating around about smog block off plates by Graves, what are they and would I need them for anything?

Thanks guys.
you really contradicted yourself right there partner, that shit will be fing loud once you take the cat off...leo vince, akrapovic, m4 or any slip on will sound better than the jardine or megaphone.

if you remove the cat yes you will need either a pcv or bazzaz..if you do not remove the cat then you need to do nothing to the bike(your slip on wont change the tone much, your bike will sound almost the same)

oops my bad thought i read something about you removing the cat ha long day..slip on you'll be fine either the jardine or megaphone won't be loud and you don't need anything else

MODS
- Shogun FS- Zero Gravity DB - Custom FE - Hot Bodies Flush Mounts - MotoDynamic Integrated Tail Light - Supersprox -1+2 - Taylormade Full Exhaust - PCV - OURY Grips - Corbin Seat - Ebay Shorty Levers

-Future Mods-
-Translogic MicroDash-Projectors-ASV Levers-GYTR Solo Seat- Bright Gold Carrozzeria Rims........

2011 ice silver metallic Audi A4
2004 350z(sold )

sig thanks to GIJoe007

Last edited by R6_350z; 10-31-2012 at 06:07 PM.
R6_350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Krutoydiesel
she drops it low

Bike: SOLD-2011 Yamaha R6 Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
Search... or look in my signature. Christ.
someones not having a good day...

but yea i agree, your sig is loaded with goodies
Modified 05 Headers
Modified Devil Rocket CF slip on
Block off plates-AggRacing
6k HIDs-AggRacing
Bauce Flashed ECU-Bauce Racing
BMC Race Filter-Bauce Racing
Reservoir Socks-Slowboy
CF Triple tree cover-SKUR

Future-
Shermans levers...