Bike takes a while to turn over? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 11-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Xed
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2008 YZF-R6 Black/Grey
Thumbs down Bike takes a while to turn over?

Hey all,

My 2008 R6 has a problem starting up, it takes a little while to turn over which annoys me, I have noticed other people on youtube seem to only have to wait for 2 of those ignition noises for the bike to turn over where as mine might take 5 or so?

The battery has been fully charged at the mechanics, is this something common with the bike or is it something I would need to replace?

eg. of a bike turning over with ease.

At 54 seconds he starts up his bike.

If anyone has any idea please let me know, or if they need more info.
Xed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
R-Silaxin
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven
Welcome

Now, this issue could be a few diff things. Do you keep it on a float charge? Batteries slowly but surely get drained. Under 5k rpm's The bike is running purely off The battery. So if you're just cruising around you're draining The battery... Also, having it sit for long periods can cause this as well. In addition, if you're running hid's or projectors, that only exacerbates The issue. It may just be time for a new battery...

That, or it could be bad gas... Even using supreme some stations have lower quality gas...

Sounds like The battery is on it's way Out though...
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL https://www.youtube.com/user/adam2cox
MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...79&ref=tn_tnmn

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
R-Silaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Ruthless_R6
Slick Nick

Bike: 07 R6 Candy
Re: Bike takes a while to turn over?

I dunno mine takes a few turns of the starter when cold. I think you might just be paranoid. If you notice his bikes already warmed up to 185 when he starts his, when mines warm it starts that fast too.
Ruthless_R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
Xed

Counted the turns, takes around 7 turns, battery was properly charged at a dealer, I do commute so always on the bike revs mainly under 6k but do open up in the back streets, no HID/Projectors, always fill up on premium and have tried different petrol stations :< So its nothing to do with the spark plugs or anything? Might have to contact the dealer and get a new battery then if the charge didn't work properly?

Only reason I ask this is because on two other bikes ive ridden (cbr600rr and bmw s1000rr) both bikes have turned over on cold start after 1 or 2.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
R-Silaxin
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xed View Post
Counted the turns, takes around 7 turns, battery was properly charged at a dealer, I do commute so always on the bike revs mainly under 6k but do open up in the back streets, no HID/Projectors, always fill up on premium and have tried different petrol stations :< So its nothing to do with the spark plugs or anything? Might have to contact the dealer and get a new battery then if the charge didn't work properly?

Only reason I ask this is because on two other bikes ive ridden (cbr600rr and bmw s1000rr) both bikes have turned over on cold start after 1 or 2.
You keep referring To a charge at The dealership... Why? It should be on a float/trickle charge when you're not riding it. Especially if a majority of your riding is under 5-6k rpm's... Even a brand new battery slowly dies when riding it as you are, even with The occasional spirited ride. Get a charger To hook it up To... They can be had at minimal cost, I may even have one in The garage I'd send you if you'd like. Just cover shipping and it's yours... Send me a PM and remind me, I'll look tomorrow! If that doesn't cure The problem, it just means you'll need a new battery... I'm sure your plugs and all are fine... Do not buy a battery from a dealer. There's a reason we refer To them as The stealership... They overcharge for EVERYTHING...

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL https://www.youtube.com/user/adam2cox
MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...79&ref=tn_tnmn

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
R-Silaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
Xed

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Silaxin View Post
There's a reason we refer To them as The stealership... They overcharge for EVERYTHING...

Definately not sure where to get a good battery apart from them around here, costs about $70ish

Old 11-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Thecca
Laugh now, cry later

Bike: 03 R6, 04 Z1000

I think you're just paraniod a bit.

Sounds ok to me...

Check for voltage (motor not running/motor running at idle/motor running at 4-5k)

Should be around 12.5 while not running/running idle and 14v at 4-5k.

You can also get your battery to your local shop and do a load test on it. (Good/bad voltage doesn't mean a good/bad battery. The load test will tell you.)

Old bike : YZF-R6
MJS shorty slip-on, K&N filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj-Agwa View Post
why when i put the straight pipe on a i rev it to like 5 or greater RPM the bike turns off??
Dafuq?
Thecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
Mr. Azim
I eat my R6

Mine doesn't make that "chunk chunk" noise when the RPM gauge "primes".....

I can hear the injectors open (then again, I have the 06 so it just makes that 'opening' sound). But it starts up as quick as yours.
SOAR Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters
Trackside Cuts Custom Leather & Vinyl
MikeyMoto Racing Lightweight Brake Rotors, Levers & Guards
Racer5 & Speedworx Racer Training & Motorcycle Accessories/Parts/Repairs
Bluestreak Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
Vortex Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
Mr. Azim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Azim View Post
Mine doesn't make that "chunk chunk" noise when the RPM gauge "primes".....

I can hear the injectors open (then again, I have the 06 so it just makes that 'opening' sound). But it starts up as quick as yours.
you can not hear injectors opening or closing. they won't even pulse till you hit the starter, and at that point you have way too much sound from the starter motor to hear a tiny injector open or close. even with all 8 firing away at thousands of rpm at the same time in the ultrasonic tank while we service them, they don't make much sound.

what you will hear starting a 08 or later r6, is the servo motor that cycles the variable velocity stacks open and closed. in that video, im pretty sure what you hear is the guy scraping the camera or something. not a sound the bike is making though.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 11-02-2012 at 04:45 PM.
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
danaatscootdotnet
www.1seven1.com

I didn't see this mentioned and notice you have TB can on there ...

Do you have a power commander or bazzaz that's not dialed in? That will make a bike rough starting or idle badly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement