05 R6 injection to carb conversion : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Exhaust and fuel delivery

Old 11-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
SMSC27
My R6 eats me.

05 R6 injection to carb conversion

ok, let me start by saying this motor is NOT on a bike, it's on a dirt car.. i'll post a pic below.. anyway..

the injection is already gone.. this motor has been running carbs for some time now, but the harness is a complete mess and the rectifier harness is missing. this was someone else's brain child and i want to straighten it out, before the 2013 season gets any closer. i want to keep the carbs, but replace the harness and get the rectifier set up and generating power again. biggest reason for wanting to stick with the carbs, is the fact that A: we run methanol and converted injectors are expensive and B: the injectors take a dump very easily, due to the dust, dirt and grime.

so, basically, my question is.. what year harness do i need? i would go based off the tag on the CDI box, buuut the tags are gone and it's unmarked. i need to put 2 more of these motors together over the winter and i'd like to have them complete and ready to go, with wiring harnesses and all the business, ready to go.. so please.. HEEEELLLLP lol the info is much appreciated
SMSC27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
SMSC27
My R6 eats me.

Re: 05 R6 injection to carb conversion

www.shadowmsc.com
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

not for nothing, but we service injectors for lots of guys running sprint cars (in dirt) and i know of many racing with motors like yours. most are running FI. I am not very familiar with the cars themselves, just saying.. i don't know of any issues directly related to running in dirt. I mean, seriously, all the dirt bikes today are FI, desert racing vehicles, etc.
I would have to ask about to see if they were running methanol though.. you may be 100% correct about that being a reason you can't use fi. Just wanted to point out that dirt/environment is a totally irrelevant concern for an FI setup for dirt track/sprint cars.

sorry , i can't help with your issue..

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 11-07-2012 at 07:54 AM.
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
shnormo
Got street appeal?

Bike: '04 and '07 R6
Send a message via AIM to shnormo

I don't know how to help you with the harness that is on that bike right now. I would get an 05 harness and steal just the charging system circuit off of it. If you are just worried about charging, you can take the 3 wires off the stator hook it up to a regulator rectifier (a universal one should work) and then the two wires out to a battery.
shnormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
SMSC27
My R6 eats me.

i've got it figured out, now.. apparently the harness i have/need is 98-02, i'm told it's basically 'plug and play..' the harness i currently have is garbage, it needs to be replaced. it's been spliced, chopped, shortened and rigged, so it's a bit of a hazard in my eyes.. and sore on the eyes lol.

as far as running injection, i'll pass.. that's a boat load of cash to be spending on something that fails, often.. $750 is a lot to piss away, before even buying a power commander, to see it's full potential.. and running 116 octane isn't an option, either. in order to run gas, you MUST have a fuel bladder, which will cost you more than the meth conversion lol..

carbs may be stone-age technology, but they're a rock-solid setup and still have as much potential to run up front as the FI cars.. and the meth conversion for the carbs is only about 75 bucks LOL

www.shadowmsc.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement