Some Questions (Mostly electrical related) : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
friedshrimp
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2007 YZF-R6
Some Questions (Mostly electrical related)

Hey all, I'm a fairly new R6 owner (of a couple weeks). Bought a used 2007 via private sale. The bike runs great and I am really glad I jumped on the opportunity to get an R6. I am the third owner of the bike.
Anyways, the first owner had some mods done including blue LED underglow strips above the wheels. I was a bit skeptical of the legality of these lights, but the second owner reported that he never got into any legal trouble while riding the bike. Well I got pulled over on the bike the other night and it turns out that blue lights are in fact illegal to have on the road. I looked all over the bike for an on/off switch for the LED strips tonight but wasn't able to find one. Looks like I will need to remove the LED strips then. I popped off the seat and a fairing tonight to try to remove the LEDs but was overwhelmed by a large amount of wires, harnesses, and zip ties. My question I guess is that would I be able to have a shop remove them affordably or can I just cut the wires on the LED ends and tape them off?
Or is there a way I can easily remove them myself the proper way?
Secondly, my bike also has HIDs and the low beam works sporadically. Most times when I start the bike, the low beam won't work but after riding for half an hour the low beam will finally turn on. Sometimes the low beam will come on as soon as the bike is started but if I shut the bike off and start it right back up, the low beam won't be working again. Would this indicate a bad ballast you think? High beam works without issue.
Thirdly, my key doesn't seem to work to unlock the pillion seat. My key works fine in the ignition and the gas cap but the key will not turn in the seat lock. My guess is that the lock doesn't match my key. Is there a way I can change the lock tumbler to match my key, or will I have to take it to the shop or a locksmith?
Lastly when I had my front seat off, I noticed a small push button switch looking thing stuck to the top of what I think is the fusebox. I was hoping it was a switch for the LEDs but it isn't. Anyone have any idea what it could be for? I pushed it but didn't notice any difference. I am posting a picture and my thumb is pointing to the switch. http://imgur.com/ET48A
I'd appreciate any insight any of you guys have and sorry for the long****ingpost.
friedshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement