Teenage Motorcycle racers : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
theturtle7023
Theturtle7023

Bike: 2007 R6S, 2007 R6R
Teenage Motorcycle racers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3UVEMqOKm8M

Old 12-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
TheJokester3
A work in progress...

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6
Re: Teenage Motorcycle racers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2007r6 View Post
"I refuse to tip toe through life to arrive safely at deaths door".
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
There is more to squidliness than just your gear.
Build Thread
TheJokester3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

One of these kids, Joe Roberts, was out at the local club racers last time I was at the track. He was riding an S1000RR borrowed from Keith Code and plotting his was through A group like everyone else was standing still. He came in from one session talking about how he almost chased down Jake Zemke (there were a few AMA guys out there for the race weekend).

Joe did two stints in the Red Bull rookie cup and he's currently in Spain testing bikes and deciding if he wants to race in some GP series there, or go to AMA. He's 14.

Blows my mind. Makes me pissed at my parents for not sticking me on a motorbike at 5 years old.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
theturtle7023
Theturtle7023

Bike: 2007 R6S, 2007 R6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Makes me pissed at my parents for not sticking me on a motorbike at 5 years old.
I've been yelling at my parents about this for a long time. Any motor vehicle I take to a track, i'm pretty fast at it. I show them Valentino Rossi or at 4 on a bike and say, "SEE, we could have millions but noooooo"
Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
PacmanR6
Vroommm

Bike: White Rice
Send a message via AIM to PacmanR6

I know my kid is getting on a snowboard at 3, and a motorbike by 4... Now I just need a wife who would agree.
PacmanR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
GenPatton
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy

Bike: 2007 R6 Rossi Replica

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacmanR6 View Post
I know my kid is getting on a snowboard at 3, and a motorbike by 4... Now I just need a wife who would agree.
+1 lol

BMC Race Filter | M4 Cat Delete | Termignoni Exhaust | Bazzaz Fuel Tuner | AGG Block-Off Plates
Fren Tubo Type 2 Lines | Integrated Tail | Rossi Replica Fairings |
OES Frame Sliders | AGG 10000K HIDs
CNC Tomok Mirrors | Lightech Quick Release Gas Cap
| GP Shift Setup | Shorty CNC Levers | Zero Gravity Screen
☼ March 2013 Ride of the Month
GenPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
05 R6 Rob
I gotta ride!

Bike: 05 R6 Raven

My nephew has been on wheels since 3. He rode a 4wheeler around Glamis and Ocotillo Wells. At 5 go his first two wheeler, began racing local events right away. Won his first local series at 6, continued racing and riding hard until he was diagnosed with type 1 diabeaties at 8. Sat out a year to get it under control. When my brother in law got him back out on the track he could see that he lost a bit of his drive... He's 12 years old now riding an 85 at the track, he rides a Banshee in Glamis, and now just finished 10th in the Lucus Oil Off Road Racing Series (LOORRS) and 4th in the Lucus Oil Reigonal Series in JR2 kart. I'm a very proud uncle and hope to see him up with the big boys one day.

My daughter has been on 4wheelers since 5 and now at 16 rides a TRX450R, yep, an R! Kick starts that thing herself every time. My boy has been on a 4wheeler for 2 years now and will be getting his first 2wheeler for Christmas this year. He's 7. (not my son, he came into my life at 5 and is now my boy for all I care. ) I'm also a proud Dad.

My Pop's got mad at me when I bought my first dirt bike at 20, and even more upset when I bough my first street bike at 30....
gytr shorty
power comander
sliders
speedo healer
graves block off plates
woodcraft case cover

had led's, flush mounts, fender elimator, and yosh trs but stripped for the track now!
05 R6 Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Tdub
FastForward Performance

Bike: Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
One of these kids, Joe Roberts, was out at the local club racers last time I was at the track. He was riding an S1000RR borrowed from Keith Code and plotting his was through A group like everyone else was standing still. He came in from one session talking about how he almost chased down Jake Zemke (there were a few AMA guys out there for the race weekend).

Joe did two stints in the Red Bull rookie cup and he's currently in Spain testing bikes and deciding if he wants to race in some GP series there, or go to AMA. He's 14.

Blows my mind. Makes me pissed at my parents for not sticking me on a motorbike at 5 years old.
Joe will be doing another year with the Rookies, or so I have heard from a reliable source.
Right now I would have to say the 2 fastest teenagers (17 yrs old) in the country would have to be Garrett Gerloff (Graves R6) and Jake Lewis (Meen R6). These 2 have been setting 600 class track records since they were 14 yrs old. Both will be riding in their 2nd pro season in 2013 in the Daytona SportBike class. Before moving to the 600s, they raced the 125s with Joe chasing them.
It is a shame we don't have the Rookie Cup here in the States anymore. It was some of the best racing at an AMA national.
Tdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Bike: 04 R6 (Sold) 06 R6R

My old man taught me how to surf when I was 5, but motorbikes weren't in my life until I turned 30. It's awesome that these young kids have parents that can afford (time and money) to get their kid on a bike and to the track.

I gave my old 04 R6 to a friend's 17 year old son to convert to a track bike. You should have seen his face light up. It was awesome and i knew he could never afford it on own as he's a student right now and his parents dont have much disposable income kicking around. I had just returned from another tour "overseas" so i had a bit of extra cash, it just made sense to me. The kid will not likely be the next Valentino, but I hope he pays it forward in the end. I guess my Dad taught me more than just to surf.........karma, it s cool concept!

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Pipelinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
Joe will be doing another year with the Rookies, or so I have heard from a reliable source.
Right now I would have to say the 2 fastest teenagers (17 yrs old) in the country would have to be Garrett Gerloff (Graves R6) and Jake Lewis (Meen R6). These 2 have been setting 600 class track records since they were 14 yrs old. Both will be riding in their 2nd pro season in 2013 in the Daytona SportBike class. Before moving to the 600s, they raced the 125s with Joe chasing them.
It is a shame we don't have the Rookie Cup here in the States anymore. It was some of the best racing at an AMA national.
Right on. I talked to Joe & his dad at the beginning of November and I was under the impression that he had already been invited to the Rookie's Cup twice, and that's all you get.

It blew my mind how non-chalant he was about racing the liter bike and blowing by everyone out there.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement