» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > Off Topic Talk

Old 12-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
radiostar
make it a double

Bike: 2011 gsxr600
My friend needs a new arm

Hey guys,

I have a friend who's just gone through a life-changing accident who could use your prayers.

His name is Chris Neilson, he's 25, just got married this last Summer, and he used to work at a gravel pit not far from where I live. I've known Chris since he first moved to my old hometown in Thorsby Alberta about 12 years ago. Him and I used to be inseparable, but as life has its' ways we both went our own ways after college. He finished his degree in Theology and I headed in a different direction.

Well, just today at about 1700hrs he texted me saying he was in the hospital, and his left arm was missing. At the time I was in Wendys eating supper and thought it was an odd time to be throwing jokes like that around. I asked him if he was kidding, and he said he was very serious. I picked up my wife, headed over to the hospital and found him with his wife in their hospital room, and sure enough, his left arm was gone just above the elbow.

Of course my first question was "How did it happen?", and this was his answer: He says he was working near a conveyer belt gravel crusher with a tiger torch. Well the torch got caught in the belt and was pulled in, which ended up snagging on his glove pulling his hand into the belt. From there it pulled his whole arm in, breaking it backwards, and began tearing up his arm from the elbow down. His co-workers ran to shut down the belt and got it turned off, but his arm was now stuck in the belt, and he couldn't free himself. So they reversed the belt and he began prying at his arm with a piece of metal trying to free himself. He eventually got the arm out, but the part that got sucked in was not recoverable. The ambulance came and he was taken to emergency where they cut the arm off above the elbow and had to dispose of it. He now has about 2-3 inches of bicep left, up to his shoulder.

I have to admit I was taken back when I went and saw him. A lot of you on here have military backgrounds and/or are in the military yourself, so it may be less shocking to you, but it still leaves me in disbelief. This is a guy who's always had 2 arms, and now, barely more than 1. It's freaky to think about it.

Please keep him in your prayers and be safe at work.

Update #4: Chris was released from hospital and is now back at home. On meds, but home. As soon as possible ima get a nice down'n'dirty picture of the stump. I know we all want to see it. :

Update #3: Chris after 2nd surgery. Now he can get up and at least shower, eat, etc.

Update #2: picture of Chris and his wife. (dec 3.2012):

Update: heres a picture i took from today (dec 2.2012):

Heres from before:

I will be posting more pictures of his recovery so you can all see the progress for yourself.

"Wrong is wrong even if everybody is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it." -Augustine

Last edited by radiostar; 12-07-2012 at 06:51 AM.
radiostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Ridyn
Oorah!

Bike: 2012 R6
Re: My friend needs a new arm

Prayers go out to your friend, I promise I will donate what I can as soon as I get home from boot camp. I would love to help right now, but I'm living off of what I saved up to last me until I ship out to boot camp, but I will definitely donate something.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
radiostar
make it a double

Thank you very much, sincerely appreciated. I can't wait to see his reaction when he finds out that people (who haven't even met him) care.

"Wrong is wrong even if everybody is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it." -Augustine

Old 12-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
|/3|\|0|\/|
Dirt track racing!

Bike: 2008 YZF R6 LE

Wow, that is tragic. Feel very sorry for him, my prayers go out to him and his family as well.

Hope the recovery process goes well for him!!
|/3|\|0|\/| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
radiostar
make it a double

Thanks VENOM.

I'll be going to see him in the hospital again today and will hopefully get a picture of us. I think it will make more of a statement if you guys actually see the injury rather than have me write about it.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
BaoPee
Prof AZN Lowballer

Bike: R6 (Track)

paypaled. hope this will help to get the ball rolling for you guys..

Last edited by BaoPee; 12-02-2012 at 08:57 AM.
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
|/3|\|0|\/|
Dirt track racing!

Bike: 2008 YZF R6 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiostar View Post
Thanks VENOM.

I'll be going to see him in the hospital again today and will hopefully get a picture of us. I think it will make more of a statement if you guys actually see the injury rather than have me write about it.
Truth in that statement.

Hope your visit goes well. I'll talk with some local riders on Monday, see if we can pool a donation for him. Really cool to hear your are helping him Radiostar, I am sure he really appreciates it.

|/3|\|0|\/| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
radiostar
make it a double

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post
paypaled. hope this will help to get the ball rolling for you guys..
I received your donation today and cant say how much it means to me. Chris doesnt know yet because im waiting til we have a decent amount, plus what my wife and i can give, and the fundraisers. Im hoping to suprise him with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |/3|\|0|\/| View Post
Truth in that statement.

Hope your visit goes well. I'll talk with some local riders on Monday, see if we can pool a donation for him. Really cool to hear your are helping him Radiostar, I am sure he really appreciates it.

Updated with a new picture from the hospital today. I wAnted to get a better one of the injury but there were his other friends and family there so it wasnt appropriate. Under that white bandage is just blood soaked bridal bandages, nothing really to see anyways. Hes going for his 2nd surgery today so ill update this accordingly.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
radiostar
make it a double

Is my presentation that bad, or are people really that hard up for cash? I have a friend whose missing an arm and people would rather talk about the McRib? I have received 2 offers for donation, only 1 of which actually made an actual donation. For this reason im disappointed, i have to admit.

I have paid 1000's of dollars through this forum for bikes parts and more. In return id love to see some of the r6 forum love ive seen so many times before.

/rant
/please help my friend

Edit: sorry guys please excuse my post. Im very stressed and so is everyone else involved. Its only been like 1 day and i shouldnt expect so much this soon. Merry Christmas to you and your families. I mean it.

Last edited by radiostar; 12-03-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
BaoPee
Prof AZN Lowballer

Bike: R6 (Track)

it is holiday season after all, on top of that, it is hell lot easier to spend money on ourselves than hang it to a total stranger. you gotta understand that.
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement