Engine locked up? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
0chcinc0
My R6 eats me.

Engine locked up?

Hey guys.. first post here,
Anyways i bought my r6 about 4 months ago, got a deal on it or so i thought..purchased it for 2200 with 29k on it. I knew it needed some electrical work when i bought it which i immediately started to work on. Previous owner installed led lights throughout the fairings and said after that the bike started having charging problems. So i obviously went to the battery first and that did the trick for about 2 weeks. Then i replaced the stator and RR. then again it fixed itself for a while. After i finally got the bike in the condition to run for an hour or more i got to riding it and noticed a ticking. Took it to a couple of people and they said it was just the "yamaha tick" ..well the noise got progressively louder. Turned the bike around to head home and the noise got unbearably loud and the bike shut off. Everyones said it was the valve shims. So i started to take the bike apart and as me and my dad got to looking at it..he got curious and we removed the stator cover again to see if we can turn the engine over by the stator bolt..and it wont roll front or back..any ideas?

this is how shes sitting right now...its my first bike so any help is greatly appreciated
0chcinc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
mercenary
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Under Construction
Re: Engine locked up?

Take that swing arm extension off and throw it in the trash (or sell it to some GSXR lover, like Steph)

welcome to the family

MCRA/CCS#81
mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
0chcinc0
My R6 eats me.

Lol i planned on it. Already purchased a stock one along with new tires. Just waiting til i figure out this other shit to throw it on. Thanks for the welcome
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
mercenary

Possibility that you dropped a valve at that mileage and the noise. If it's locked up you're gonna have to dig into it anyway so pulling the motor and checking the head/valves wouldn't be too difficult.

MCRA/CCS#81
Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
reid5506
ROLL TIDE!

Bike: 2001 r6
Make sure its in neutral first. May be the valves dropped if so..u might have a major issue. Did u have the vavles looked at anytime since u have owned it??
reid5506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
0chcinc0
My R6 eats me.

Its in neutral. and no im more of a fix it myself type of guy which is why i came here..what do i need to be looking for if a valve dropped? what all would it have affected? and on another note. the reason we re opened the stator cover is because it was still having trouble starting after all the electrical work so we thought it was the starter motor itself..and after we removed that and inspected and reinstalled it, it was still not starting which is what led my dad to think the motor was locked up
Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
0chcinc0
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post
Possibility that you dropped a valve at that mileage and the noise. If it's locked up you're gonna have to dig into it anyway so pulling the motor and checking the head/valves wouldn't be too difficult.
is there a way i can pull the motor without having bike stands?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
mercenary

Pull it sitting on the tires.....

MCRA/CCS#81
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
0chcinc0
My R6 eats me.

Lol i knew that was a dumb question. still had to ask. wasnt sure if there would be enough clearance underneath the bike to lower it....
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
reid5506
ROLL TIDE!

Bike: 2001 r6
If it has dropped, it could pretty much have been beat to shit by a piston and possibly cracked something.. Either way its gonna have to be pulled out and checked. With the noise you said you heard sounds like it to me have seen ppl get lucky and it not mess anything up. something someone with a lil more experience and know than u have by how u sound....sorry no offense

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
reid5506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement