OSRAM - SilverStar H7 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
TheGuest
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

OSRAM - SilverStar H7

Hi all,

I am thinking of putting a pair of OSRAM - SilverStar H7 on my R6. Will this make any difference? I don't like stock bulbs - hard too see during night riding. Please let me know.

Thanks.
TheGuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
motoman21
I eat my R6

Bike: '12 R6
Re: OSRAM - SilverStar H7

Just get a set of HIDs and you will be good. Theres kits out there that cost just ass much as a set of Silverstars. Search on the forums for a how to.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
TheGuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman21 View Post
Just get a set of HIDs and you will be good. Theres kits out there that cost just ass much as a set of Silverstars. Search on the forums for a how to.
What's the benefit?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
motoman21
I eat my R6

Bike: '12 R6

Wayyyyyy brighter.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

AGG2001 sells HID's now. $55 a set IIRC. I have a set some fcuker backed out of on me I'd let go of unused.

Otherwise, checkout AGGracing.com and order a set up homie. There's countless posts on HID's on here. Below is a google search to help you find info. This site won't search for 3 letter words, so you need to use google like I did below. It's a sticky on this forum somewhere on how to use google to search the forum.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...iw=970&bih=857

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
CBR240
Is it Deals Gap time yet?

Bike: 2007 R6

OP - HIDs are way brighter, and that is good, but:

- your headlights are not designed for them, they will "splatter" (emit light at angles they should not, pissing off driver in front of you and those that pass by you), not a problem for high beams, but is for low beams.

- When I bought my bike a year ago, it had a HID kit already installed. There were issues of the low beams failing to come on at times, turn the key off and back on and it would come on. I replaced everything with another (I thought better) HID kit. All was good for about 5 months, but following a friend home one night, he mentioned the splatter. I enjoyed that it annoyed him (what are friends for), but didn't like doing that to strangers. I was going to revert to standard on just the low beam (the HID high beam is great for seeing deer), but turning the bike on for work one morning one of the ballasts started smoking. I pulled the HID kit, replaced all wiring with OEM, and have not had an issue since.

I do miss the HID high beam, but don't trust the cheap kits anymore.

I am a sample size of one, so this is somewhat meaningless. I not saying don't go HID, I'm just saying you might want to research the pros and cons a little before jumping in.
CBR240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
TheGuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR240 View Post
OP - HIDs are way brighter, and that is good, but:

- your headlights are not designed for them, they will "splatter" (emit light at angles they should not, pissing off driver in front of you and those that pass by you), not a problem for high beams, but is for low beams.

- When I bought my bike a year ago, it had a HID kit already installed. There were issues of the low beams failing to come on at times, turn the key off and back on and it would come on. I replaced everything with another (I thought better) HID kit. All was good for about 5 months, but following a friend home one night, he mentioned the splatter. I enjoyed that it annoyed him (what are friends for), but didn't like doing that to strangers. I was going to revert to standard on just the low beam (the HID high beam is great for seeing deer), but turning the bike on for work one morning one of the ballasts started smoking. I pulled the HID kit, replaced all wiring with OEM, and have not had an issue since.

I do miss the HID high beam, but don't trust the cheap kits anymore.

I am a sample size of one, so this is somewhat meaningless. I not saying don't go HID, I'm just saying you might want to research the pros and cons a little before jumping in.
Thanks a lot! I heard similar input from other riders.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Krutoydiesel
she drops it low

Bike: SOLD-2011 Yamaha R6 Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
AGG2001 sells HID's now. $55 a set IIRC. I have a set some fcuker backed out of on me I'd let go of unused.

Otherwise, checkout AGGracing.com and order a set up homie. There's countless posts on HID's on here. Below is a google search to help you find info. This site won't search for 3 letter words, so you need to use google like I did below. It's a sticky on this forum somewhere on how to use google to search the forum.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...iw=970&bih=857
+1 on the agg

http://aggracing.com/store/index.php...&product_id=73

get 5k for best light and look =)

/thread
Modified 05 Headers
Modified Devil Rocket CF slip on
Block off plates-AggRacing
6k HIDs-AggRacing
Bauce Flashed ECU-Bauce Racing
BMC Race Filter-Bauce Racing
Reservoir Socks-Slowboy
CF Triple tree cover-SKUR

Future-
Shermans levers...
Krutoydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
Blade-Brown
I eat my R6

Bike: 09 R6 - 08 RR (SOLD)

Honestly, after running HID's in my previous bikes for years...I wouldn't even consider installing a free set in my R6. High-Intensity discharge lamps, regardless of color/Kelvin temperature, effin' BLIND oncoming traffic. I mean just look at them yourself....point is you can't, for more than .05 seconds. Plus, it doesn't "look good"...It's a blob/splatter of light due to our reflective housings. Our housing are NOT designed for these electrical gas-discharge lamps. I am currently looking into finding a set of H7 silverstars or the such in light blue or gold. At least then I'll be brighter than stock, will have some color tint and will have an actual PATH of light rather than a clusterf^&k

2009 R6 Black/Charcoal
BAUCE Tune - BMC Track filter

2008 CBR 600RR Graffiti (SOLD)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...8-19174402.jpg
2001 F4i (I miss you, please write)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...8/DSCN0852.jpg
Blade-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
BigShepp
Tron has corrupted me

Bike: 2005 R6 Raven "Deimos"

Cheap HID kits suck.

I did a write up here on the forum on the H7 bulbs I got. Pics are in there. Go check it out if you're interested.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showt...102&highlight=
Proverbs 14:23

“Faster, Faster, Until The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.”
Hunter S. Thompson

"It wasn't until I went to college and I got my first motorcycle that I understood the thrill of speed."
Vin Diesel
BigShepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement