Title Question. MD ->VA : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
mtarr07
My R6 eats me.

Title Question. MD ->VA

Hi everyone,

So I'm looking at possibly buying a 2007 zx6r (I know, I know, its not a Yamaha) that has been down. It basically needs new fairings, a slip on, and a new headlight assembly. As you know though, sport bikes easily get totaled out. My question is, this bike is titled in Maryland and the title reads "damage greater than 75%. Repairable." I'm thinking with some haggling, I could talk the guy down to $1700 (he's asking $2000 and it hasn't sold yet). The bike runs and drives fine (seller sent me a video of doing so after the damage, plus I'm going to test drive it if I do buy it). I'm wondering how hard would it be/ long would it take to title it in Virginia? I could potentially have a like-new zx6r with 9xxx miles for ~$2700 (I'm repairing it myself). Was thinking of possibly driving it for a season and then trying to dump it for $3500-$4000. Do you guys think this is feasible?

Let me know your opinions.

Thanks
mtarr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
ryan.chin
I eat my R6

Bike: 2007 R6 Raven
Re: Title Question. MD ->VA

All you're trying to do is change the title from MD to VA. As long as there is a clear title, and a bill of sale and everything, you should be fine.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
tdoss1980
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 raven

Believe the salvage title will carry over in virginia, but since it says repairable, an appt with a state trooper to inspect the motorcycle after the repair can take care of that.

But here is a link to the Va DMV
http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/c...wreq/index.asp
2005 R6, Motodynamic Sequential Signals, Flush Smoke Front Turns, 6k Hid, Devil Racer Carbon Highmount Ceramic Coated Black, Ohlins Steering Dampener, Motovation No Cut Frame Sliders and Bar End Sliders, ASV Levers, Vortex Black Rearsets, K&N Air Filter, Factory Pro +4 Ignition Advancer, Superflare Vstacks, Graves Slide Stops, Graves Smog Block Offs, -1 520 Conversion with Driven Sprockets and DID Chain, Goodridge Shadow Brake Lines, Brembo CNC Calipers with Vesrah RJL Pads, Brembo 19x20 Master Cylinder, Zero Gravity Windscreen, Stompgrip Tank Pads, Gilles Chain adjusters with race lifters, NRC Powdercoated Racing Covers, HINSON SLIPPER CLUTCH, Vented Brakes Cooling System, Racetech Internals Front and Rear with Michelin Power Super Sports holding it to the road
tdoss1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
mtarr07
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.chin View Post
All you're trying to do is change the title from MD to VA. As long as there is a clear title, and a bill of sale and everything, you should be fine.
If you read my post, it says that the MD title is not clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoss1980 View Post
Believe the salvage title will carry over in virginia, but since it says repairable, an appt with a state trooper to inspect the motorcycle after the repair can take care of that.

But here is a link to the Va DMV
http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/c...wreq/index.asp
Thanks for the link, I looked that up and read it but am a bit confused by the wording I guess. It says "Salvage vehicles with an estimated cost of repair of 75 percent or less of actual cash value will receive a certificate of title branded as "REPAIRED". Salvage vehicles with an estimated cost of repair more than 75 percent, but not exceeding 90 percent of actual cash value will receive a certificate of title branded as "REBUILT"." Is this when the inspector comes to look at the bike? Because if so, the bike will look brand new and get a "repaired" title. Or, will it just carry over the salvage title from Maryland?

Also, whats your guys opinion on the scenario. If I can do this for ~$2700, do you think it would be worth it? Do you think I could sell it for $3500 possibly next season?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
tdoss1980
nova r6

The way Im reading this is, you need an insurance estimate or estimate from a local shop detailing the repairs need to be made to get the bike in legal working condition and have the repairs done(they dont say if you can repair yourself or not), then with a salvage certificate in your name, send proper paperwork and 135.00 to dmv, inspector will contact you and inspect the bike, if they approve they will give you a certificate for you to get a "rebuilt title" and be able to ride on the street again. But since your original paperwork (previous owners title) says damage over 75% even if the bike is 100% repaired to original the title will always say salvage rebuilt.

If it were me that is a whole lot of headache for a street bike but perfect for a track bike. Keep your eye on Craigslist for other nontotaled bikes, you will be better off in the long run.

Just my .02
2005 R6, Motodynamic Sequential Signals, Flush Smoke Front Turns, 6k Hid, Devil Racer Carbon Highmount Ceramic Coated Black, Ohlins Steering Dampener, Motovation No Cut Frame Sliders and Bar End Sliders, ASV Levers, Vortex Black Rearsets, K&N Air Filter, Factory Pro +4 Ignition Advancer, Superflare Vstacks, Graves Slide Stops, Graves Smog Block Offs, -1 520 Conversion with Driven Sprockets and DID Chain, Goodridge Shadow Brake Lines, Brembo CNC Calipers with Vesrah RJL Pads, Brembo 19x20 Master Cylinder, Zero Gravity Windscreen, Stompgrip Tank Pads, Gilles Chain adjusters with race lifters, NRC Powdercoated Racing Covers, HINSON SLIPPER CLUTCH, Vented Brakes Cooling System, Racetech Internals Front and Rear with Michelin Power Super Sports holding it to the road
Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
mtarr07
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoss1980 View Post
The way Im reading this is, you need an insurance estimate or estimate from a local shop detailing the repairs need to be made to get the bike in legal working condition and have the repairs done(they dont say if you can repair yourself or not), then with a salvage certificate in your name, send proper paperwork and 135.00 to dmv, inspector will contact you and inspect the bike, if they approve they will give you a certificate for you to get a "rebuilt title" and be able to ride on the street again. But since your original paperwork (previous owners title) says damage over 75% even if the bike is 100% repaired to original the title will always say salvage rebuilt.

If it were me that is a whole lot of headache for a street bike but perfect for a track bike. Keep your eye on Craigslist for other nontotaled bikes, you will be better off in the long run.

Just my .02
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I saw this orginially and was hoping he didn't report it since it literally is only fairings and headlight assembly (the exhaust just has rash on it). Then I found out he reported it. Not sure if all that work is worth it to still have a damaged title. I think I will pass it up. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
tdoss1980
nova r6

No problem man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement