Ninja 300 as a track bike? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 12-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
GenPatton
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy

Bike: 2007 R6 Rossi Replica
Ninja 300 as a track bike?

Just wondering what you guys (Who've attended track days) think about using the Kawasaki Ninja 300 as a track bike.

I signed up for TeamPro-Motion for 2013 (Inside Pass) and plan on attending probably 4-5 track days @ NYST. This is going to be my first year doing track days, and will be my 3rd year riding motorcycles.

I was thinking about converting my R6 to a street/track bike, or picking up a used older R6 or ZX6R or CBR to be a track-only bike, but my dad wants to get back to street riding with me, but he doesn't want to spend a lot of money - so he came up with the idea of going halves on the Ninja 300. (He can ride on the street, and I can use it as my track bike)

Whatcha guys think? I like the idea because I think I'll be able to focus more-so on technique rather than focus as much on throttle control.

Of course I'll be in the Beginner Group, being my first year, but do you think I'll outgrow the 300? I figure I could probably get 2 years of track-days out of the 300 (at least) before wanting to go up to a 600cc, but would love the opinions of those of you who have actually experienced the track and know what they're talking about.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I bought the 300 today

BMC Race Filter | M4 Cat Delete | Termignoni Exhaust | Bazzaz Fuel Tuner | AGG Block-Off Plates
Fren Tubo Type 2 Lines | Integrated Tail | Rossi Replica Fairings |
OES Frame Sliders | AGG 10000K HIDs
CNC Tomok Mirrors | Lightech Quick Release Gas Cap
| GP Shift Setup | Shorty CNC Levers | Zero Gravity Screen
☼ March 2013 Ride of the Month

Last edited by GenPatton; 12-11-2012 at 04:35 PM.
GenPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
1Bronco
I eat my R6

Re: Ninja 300 as a track bike?

I think your going to get bored as hell when everyone and their mother is passing you on the track. Now if you were racing a 300 in a relevant class it would be different. If your dad wants something cheap and you want something for the track then an SV650 is the way to go.
1Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Small displacement bike is great for learning. I'm picking up a 250 to go race this year. It'll teach you how to carry corner speed and you will get the chance to pass plenty of people in beginner and intermediate.

If you're interested in eventually racing it, then keep in mind the 300 doesn't really fit into any race classes at the moment since it's a weird displacement and Kawisaki is the only manufacturer making a bike in that size.

If you're going to split it with the pops and keep it usable on the street I imagine you'll end up getting a different bike if you want to race later on.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
NorthShoreR6S
My Power band is blue

Bike: 2009 sold,2008 R6 pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bronco View Post
I think your going to get bored as hell when everyone and their mother is passing you on the track. Now if you were racing a 300 in a relevant class it would be different. If your dad wants something cheap and you want something for the track then an SV650 is the way to go.
Not true. A ninja 300 would be sick for track days. A lot or the more experienced guys are riding 250's on the track to work on technique, and just because they are a hell of a lot of fun. Track days aren't a race, and you will be faster than a lot of guys out there if you start on a smaller bike. I'd love a 250 to go track only on. Bronco, how many track days have you done? What tracks? what group?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
HER6
Needs more stars

Bike: 2005 R6, 2006 DRZ400 SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bronco View Post
I also have to disagree. I know a girl that runs her 250 at the track and can pass 600s in the turn all day long. In fact my friend that rides a zx6r still loves to talk about the day she passed him (in the intermediate group). I think she runs advanced sometimes but her lap times just don't compare overall to the other guys out there simply because of straight away speeds.

While I have never ridden a 300, having ridden a 250 I would imagine the 300 would be a blast at the track.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Agg2001
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001
I'd ride the piss out of a 250 on track. Fun race class too. Cheap as well.

I'm betting the 300 will find its way into a class and will be VERY impressive. Get it - and don't look back.

(excuse typos, as this was a mobile posting)

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

Agg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
1Bronco
I eat my R6

Just my opinion. This past year I rode with TPM. Can you have fun with a 250 on the track? Sure. Can you have fun with any bike on track? Absolutly. But if I had my choice for a cheap street/track ride as a second bike an sv650 would be what I went for. Parts and extras can be had for cheap and are easy to come by and it does well on tires.
1Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
09ORG
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Why don't you and pops find an older kaw 250 for the track they can be had for a song and you won't have to worry about wadding it up, or feeling bad when you do. If I had to do it all over 250 would be my first choice. NYST looks great really trying to attend a track day there if it's anything thing like VIR North I'm there!!! I'm a TPM member also. I thought I would only do 4/5 trackdays my first year 8 trackdays later finally realized I'm hooked!!
09ORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
S2 Studio
Y(o_o)Y

Bike: 05' R6

I've done several TD's on the R6 and am looking to going next season on a 250 simply to work on my technique etc. You should do it!!

S2 Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
GenPatton
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy

Bike: 2007 R6 Rossi Replica

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09ORG View Post
Why don't you and pops find an older kaw 250 for the track they can be had for a song and you won't have to worry about wadding it up, or feeling bad when you do. If I had to do it all over 250 would be my first choice. NYST looks great really trying to attend a track day there if it's anything thing like VIR North I'm there!!! I'm a TPM member also. I thought I would only do 4/5 trackdays my first year 8 trackdays later finally realized I'm hooked!!
Well, he just wants to get back out on the street though. Claims he's too "old" for track days @ 56, but, I'm going to try and have him do a TD with me this year.

Since he wants a street bike, he likes the idea of the 300 with a little more power than the 250 for the mountain rides we usually take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2 Studio View Post
I've done several TD's on the R6 and am looking to going next season on a 250 simply to work on my technique etc. You should do it!!
We're going to the dealership tomorrow to see what we can do.

BMC Race Filter | M4 Cat Delete | Termignoni Exhaust | Bazzaz Fuel Tuner | AGG Block-Off Plates
Fren Tubo Type 2 Lines | Integrated Tail | Rossi Replica Fairings |
OES Frame Sliders | AGG 10000K HIDs
CNC Tomok Mirrors | Lightech Quick Release Gas Cap
| GP Shift Setup | Shorty CNC Levers | Zero Gravity Screen
☼ March 2013 Ride of the Month
GenPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement