Wrong master cylinder or...? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
WhiteKnite
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: '03 R6 Track, '11 F800ST
Wrong master cylinder or...?

So I finished fitting my new shorty levers today and when I took the old OEM ones off I noticed they had been ground down on the part that engages the front master cylinder plunger. The original levers say R6 on them, and appear to be correct for an '03. Well when I fit the new levers they were pushing the plunger down quite a bit to the point the brakes were dragging. When I compared the levers I realized I would have to take off about 5mm or more to make them match the originals. It looks like the original levers and the new ones needed about the same amount of material removed to keep from engaging the master cylinder, so is this thing off a different bike or what? It says "3" then "Nissin" on it and appears the same as what I have seen in pictures for an '03. Is there anywhere I can look on it for a serial number or any distinguising marks? Should I look for a used '05+ master cylinder? Or maybe upgrade to an aftermarket one since this will be used as a track bike? I really don't like the idea of coming into the first turn on the track at 150+ mph with brakes I had to rig up...

Last edited by WhiteKnite; 12-12-2012 at 02:16 AM.
WhiteKnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
Locci
Go fast or die slow.

Bike: R6 08 racer
Re: Wrong master cylinder or...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnite View Post
So I finished fitting my new shorty levers today and when I took the old OEM ones off I noticed they had been ground down on the part that engages the front master cylinder plunger. The original levers say R6 on them, and appear to be correct for an '03. Well when I fit the new levers they were pushing the plunger down quite a bit to the point the brakes were dragging. When I compared the levers I realized I would have to take off about 5mm or more to make them match the originals. It looks like the original levers and the new ones needed about the same amount of material removed to keep from engaging the master cylinder, so is this thing off a different bike or what? It says "3" then "Nissin" on it and appears the same as what I have seen in pictures for an '03. Is there anywhere I can look on it for a serial number or any distinguising marks? Should I look for a used '05+ master cylinder? Or maybe upgrade to an aftermarket one since this will be used as a track bike? I really don't like the idea of coming into the first turn on the track at 150+ mph with brakes I had to rig up...
OEM pump is a 5 Nissin.
If you want better brakes go aftermarket, or get a 08+ pump "Newer the better, less wear on internals"
Locci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
WhiteKnite

That explains it then. Thanks for the info. Managed to find a list of nissin non-radial master cylinders and saw the 99-01 R1 used one. Looked up the pics and yep, it has a #3 and is probably what I have... So I guess I can get an R1 brake lever or upgrade to a better master cylinder.

Last edited by WhiteKnite; 12-12-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
WhiteKnite

Problem solved. Found a like new 2012 R6 MC on ebay for $100. Now just have to decide on which levers to get (not going Chinese again ), and pray my new brake lines have enough slack since they come out a different direction.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
mercenary
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Under Construction

RCS19 /thread

MCRA/CCS#81
mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

why do you guys like shorty levers?? personally, i think the feel sucks .. and you have less leverage meaning you have to PULL HARDER than an OEM or race length lever. With the stock length, you can move the master cylinder inward, away from the grip a bit. This has 2 benefits. 1: more leverage 2: less damage in a fall as it's in further.
Shorty levers, never ever understood that thing but the cash in selling them.
Especially if you are track riding/racing, Leave the stock lever on there.

IF you really wanna upgrade your OEM newer R6 radial master cyl and brake system? Get the GP tech adjustable setup with folding lever. http://www.gptechllc.com/products/gp-tech/levers

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
WhiteKnite

I personally like the feel of the shorter levers. I understand your point about moving stuff further inward though. I am leaning toward Shermoto levers, but lets see what kind of price he can get them shipped to S. Korea for. As far as the RCS19, all of the info I could find on here and other forums pointed toward the 19 as being way too touchy on 2nd gens.

Last edited by WhiteKnite; 12-29-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

the stock/OEM brembo mc from the 05 and later bikes are very very good.. you don't need anything else. Even most AMA pro's don't use aftermarket master cylinders.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement