» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > Off Topic Talk

Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Long distance rifle suggestions.

Been looking for a new rifle for hunting and target shooting. I don't know much about rifles as I mostly use a bow or shotgun. The only calibers i've used are .223 .270 .308/7.62. so my knowledge is limited.

Im looking for something to take down white tail deer for teh nom noms and possibly hog and coyote as they are a problem around here. So under 200 yards.

For shits and giggles id like to be able to say I could take out deer at 500yd. the fields running in front of the chicken coups is 500yd. I wanna be able to target shoot out that far.

I was looking at the Remington 700 in a .308. Heard a bunch of good thing about those. But what suggestions do you guys have on a caliber and rifle? Also some suggestions on optics would appreciated.

Thanks

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Oh and for what its worth I can easily get most ammo as bass pro and Gander mountain are both really close. So that doesn't really make a diffdrence, but cheaper is always nice lol.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
RSICKS ATL
Get you some!

Bike: 08 R6
If I recall correctly, you just missed a stellar Black Friday deal on the 700 Mag at Dick's. Get a .308 AR, that'd be fun

Sent while riding my R6. o_O
2008 R6 Raven - Mods - Bauce Racing ECU Flash : Gutted header : MJS Mid-pipe : Carbon Scorpion Powercone slip-on : -1 Front Sprocket : AGG Smog Block Offs : BMC Street Filter : TechSpec Snakeskin tank grips : MotoDynamic Smoked Integrated tail light : Smoked LED flush mounts : LP Racing No-Cut Frame Sliders : Swingarm Spools : Renthal Road Race Dual Compounds : Graves Billet Bar-ends : 07 Black wheels : Powder-coated rearsets : Smoked windscreen : 3000k Hi/8000k Low HIDs : Fender Eliminator with LED tag bolts : AGG Rear Reservoir Delete : AGG Angled Valve Stems : Battlax S20s

RSICKS ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Aleeex
m3lover2

Bike: Trek Fuel 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSICKS ATL View Post
If I recall correctly, you just missed a stellar Black Friday deal on the 700 Mag at Dick's. Get a .308 AR, that'd be fun

Sent while riding my R6. o_O
I would only go ar10, and not ar15, for a bullet thst big/strong

My Vouch Thread

John 3:16
Aleeex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
dirty_red_lobster
My R6 eats my money

Bike: 2006 blue R6
30-06 or 7mm is my choices

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
GPR steering damper-Termignoni slip on-Custom mid-pipe-Power Commander III-Vortex rearsets-Vortex Gas Cap-Apex clip ons-Integrated taillight/fender eliminator-Frame Sliders-Tinted Windscreen-Woodcraft case cover-Michelin Pure 2CT's
dirty_red_lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: some stupid ones
Re: Long distance rifle suggestions.

.300 weatherby magnum.
redisdeadrideblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: some stupid ones

remember, though, its going to get expensive and if you plan to shoot that far effectively, from what i understand youll need a to take a little training...unless you have money and brass to burn.
redisdeadrideblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
mell0
My Bonneville eats me.

Bike: ST3R

I would go with the .308. A great long range round that will undoubtedly take down a deer at 500. If you're thinking long range/ target shooting you shouldn't be looking for anything other than bolt action. Only down side is .308 is a bit expensive.

You could always get a mosin nagant and shoot forever considering the ammo is so cheap. IIRC a few companies make different stocks for them so you don't have to be stuck with the old russian one. Mosins can be had for like $100 at most gun stores too.

2013 Triumph Bonneville
2002 Procharged Mustang GT
mell0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #9
2007R6carbonfiber
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

The Remington 700 is a fantastic rifle that's seen a lot of use in American wars. I love mine. If your looking for a semi check out a browning bar. They're great rifles not much more than a tricked out 700 would be.
2007R6carbonfiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
2007R6carbonfiber
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

And the mosin is a great gun to build if your low on funds but don't expect to much accuracy past 200 yards with military surplus 762x54 ammo. Still a great gun a mosin chalked up the most sniper kills in history back in WWII
2007R6carbonfiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement