Over tightened oil pan bolt : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 12-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Celticsfan
Aware?

Bike: 2007 R6
Over tightened oil pan bolt

I changed my oil last night and tightened the bolt, not too tight at least I didn't think so, but I noticed some oil around the bolt and wiped it down and put a plastic plate under it so see if it leaked overnight. There wasn't a ton on the plate but it looks like theres definitely a slow leak. It may have been last time that I did, but i didn't want to try and tighten it anymore today in the event that i didn't actually f it up...I did a search but a few of them were archived...

While on the topic, is there a trick to getting the oil filter without absolutely destroying it with a screwdriver and getting oil everywhere? I hand tightened it last time but still couldn't get it off easily/cleanly lol

2007 R6
Shermoto Levers, Full Leo Vince SBK, PC3, GPR V1 Steering Damper
Celticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Tdub
FastForward Performance

Bike: Honda Z50
Re: Over tightened oil pan bolt

Did you replace the drain bolt washer or Oring?? Do you oil or grease the filter oring before installing?
Tdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Celticsfan
Aware?

Nope no O-Ring, messed that up, I'm gonna head to the dealer and pick one up tomorrow, I looked it up and it said some people do/do not use them and that it's good to prevent over torquing (dohh)...so I guess I'll have to drain the oil and then redo the bolt and put it in back in and add a little.

As for the filter I just dipped my finger in the oil and then ran it along the threads of the new filters and spun it on there. My problem is that I can never get enough grip to grab anything

2007 R6
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Wipe the oil on the gasket of the oil filter, not the threads.

That might help a bit. Doesn't matter what you do, it's always a pain in the dick to get that filter off.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
MaliceRacing
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I just use channel locks on the oil filter. Clamp down and crush the filter with the locks and get it started and then it should come off with your hand. Always replace the O-ring when you change the oil!
CVMA #12, WERA #12
2013 CVMA Champ - Middleweight Shootout, MW Supersport, and Formula MW
Pirelli - InHouse Suspension - Racer's Edge - CT Racing - TrackDaz - ACT Racing - Valley Office Equipment - MC Pro Design - Galfer - Sidi - Shoei Helmets
MaliceRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Celticsfan
Aware?

Gonna sound like a noob question, (only changed the oil twice) but what are you referring to with the o ring?

2007 R6
Old 12-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
MaliceRacing
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticsfan View Post
Gonna sound like a noob question, (only changed the oil twice) but what are you referring to with the o ring?
There's a disposable O-ring that comes off with the oil-drain bolt. It's a crush washer and needs to be replaced every oil change to avoid leaking. Also, if you fail to take the o-ring off the bolt and try to install with a new o-ring it will not seal properly and you will leak oil.
CVMA #12, WERA #12
2013 CVMA Champ - Middleweight Shootout, MW Supersport, and Formula MW
Pirelli - InHouse Suspension - Racer's Edge - CT Racing - TrackDaz - ACT Racing - Valley Office Equipment - MC Pro Design - Galfer - Sidi - Shoei Helmets
MaliceRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Celticsfan
Aware?

Ahh gotcha, thats what I thought you meant, I was going to say I don't remember the filter coming with anything else, appreciate the info!

2007 R6
Old 12-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
RYAN762
what the what?!

Bike: 2005 R6, 2008 CRF250R

As for the oil filter, go down to your auto parts store and get a cup style oil filter wrench. Can't remember exactly what size off the top of my head. But I used that to remove the original filter from the factory(which I've heard horror stories about) and it was on there tighter than hell, but it broke it loose without having to stab it with a screwdriver or anything crazy like that.

2008 CRF250R - JO suspension, Pro circuit cam, pro circuit ti valves/springs, beryllium valve seats, ported and polished head, stroker crank(since I destroyed the falicon crank ), full hinson clutch, ti/carbon full Yoshimura RS-3 system

1995 Chevy S-10 ZR2 - 2 inch lift, cammed 350

2005 R6 Street Build
RYAN762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
milko
Sherwin Antagonist

Bike: 2009 r6

4 words....stalhbus oil drain valve

As for filter, I've been using the K&N filter. Has a nut on the end of the filter so you can use a wrench to get that sucker off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
Saw the cooter, was no impressed...There were things that fell to the ground; deeply saddened me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Its gonna be awesome to be back on the track tho. Being there all weekend and not riding was like getting a lapdance in sweatpants bro! :
MyNotSoSuper Build
milko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement