Back on a 6 finally! (oh and some initial ownership issues too) : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 01-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Brzrkr
Why is this broken?

Bike: 2006 Yamaha R1
Back on a 6 finally! (oh and some initial ownership issues too)

Soooo in september of last year I had the joy of finally getting my first track day on at summit point and had a blast despite the drizzle. I actually think that was probably the best first track day I could have, being in the slick. definitely checked my ego and forced me to stay precise on the controls and not just pile onto them etc etc. I learned a ton from that track day. I was mad at first that it started drizzling but said fcuk it and rode anyways. I'm glad I did.

Then, a week later I was robbed of attempting a second track day when someone tried to steal my 01 R6 from in front of my house. I think the worst part of it was that they did a shitty job of it and then destroyed my R6 when they couldn't get it loaded in the caravan they stole to steal my R6 because the tailgate didn't work. First they dragged it all the way down my street with the handlebars locked, so they dropped it and dragged it multiple times, and once they got to the van and couldn't load it, they dumped it down a hill into some trees. the tank was smashed to shit, forks bent and twisted, bodywork all jacked up etc. Oh, I also found vegetation in the oil reservoir area like they had jammed sticks and leaves into it and recapped it on purpose. that was a real dick move. Progressive totaled my bike out but I got compensated pretty well.

Couldn't find a replacement for the budget I had to work with so I caved and bought a cruiser just to be riding. I learned very quickly I have NO place being on a cruiser. But on the plus side when I took it to a local skills circuit a police station lets the public use, I felt it was teaching me a good bit about BP. There seemed to be a sweet spot in where I put my weight that would just instantly gain a ton of traction. I tried to corner it as well as I could on squishy suspension like that haha.

But I sold that last week and finally raised the last bit to buy my friends R6. I present to you all my 05 R6!! She's got LOR exhaust with an air filter and PC3. the exhaust sounds great but I think it's a bit too loud. 26k miles, so she's due to have her valves checked and adjusted which is good considering the valve cover gaskets are starting to show seepage. High beams are a little titchy, I don't think they have a solid connection so I'm going to have to clean the connections and see if it resolves that issue. they flicker on and off rapidly in an intermittent fashion, and I hear what sounds like a relay when it switches on and off. Horn doesn't work but that should be an easy fix.

Idle will fluctuate up and down a hundred RPM or so in a uniform fashion while sitting there, so I'm not sure if that's a normal idle or the PC3 needs adjustment. Well, it needs adjustment anyways since it smells a little rich and I heard the downloadable map for LOR wasn't all that great. I've never messed with a FI bike before so this is new ground for me.

Also, is the 05 supposed to have the winky faced headlights going on? one side seems to be low beam while the other is high... I thought Yamaha put low and high on both sides.

Lastly, I'm going to have to track down a passenger seat or a cowl for my bike. My friend lost both his seat AND cowl when he didn't secure it all the way. I have to keep the bike covered so the PC3 isn't constantly on display for whoever may walk past and be tempted to steal. If anyone has a spare seat or black cowl for the 05 you don't mind parting with, let me know. I'd greatly appreciate it! I'll post two pics from when I found my 01 when I track them down. It was pretty heartbreaking to see my bike lying like that in the dirt :'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygBP7MtT3Ac
Brzrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
TheJokester3
A work in progress...

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6
Re: Back on a 6 finally! (oh and some initial ownership issues too)

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2007r6 View Post
"I refuse to tip toe through life to arrive safely at deaths door".
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
There is more to squidliness than just your gear.
Build Thread
TheJokester3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Bike: 04 R6 (Sold) 06 R6R

Good to see you back on a sportbike. Total shame about your 01 man, that sucks! I just got rid of my 04 and had a passenger seat and 2 solos for it, bad timing. There seems to be a lot them kicking around though, so you shouldn't have much problems finding one. Good luck.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Pipelinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
Tribalic One
This is bat country!

Bike: 2005 white/red R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzrkr View Post

Idle will fluctuate up and down a hundred RPM or so in a uniform fashion while sitting there, so I'm not sure if that's a normal idle or the PC3 needs adjustment. Well, it needs adjustment anyways since it smells a little rich and I heard the downloadable map for LOR wasn't all that great. I've never messed with a FI bike before so this is new ground for me.

Also, is the 05 supposed to have the winky faced headlights going on? one side seems to be low beam while the other is high... I thought Yamaha put low and high on both sides.

Lastly, I'm going to have to track down a passenger seat or a cowl for my bike. My friend lost both his seat AND cowl when he didn't secure it all the way. I have to keep the bike covered so the PC3 isn't constantly on display for whoever may walk past and be tempted to steal. If anyone has a spare seat or black cowl for the 05 you don't mind parting with, let me know. I'd greatly appreciate it! I'll post two pics from when I found my 01 when I track them down. It was pretty heartbreaking to see my bike lying like that in the dirt :'(
First, congratz for throwing your leg over another 6!

I have an 05 as well, my idle normally lopes/fluctuates once she's warmed up. I do not have a PC or Bazzaz though, so you may be able to trim that out more. I'm sure someone with more knowledge can fill in the blank. Also, I've noticed as the ambient temp outside changes I've noticed I have to make minor adjustments to the idle screw, as my idle speeds up or slows down.

Yes, you will forever be told you have a headlight out! Unless you run high beams all the time like my buddy does on his 09. I have HIDs and my low beam is more than bright enough most of the time. Might as well save my high beam.

This is where I've found the best deals for OEM replacement parts: http://www.yamahapartsnation.com/ I've ordered 4 coils and a rear seat from them, and they seem to always have the best price with fast shipping.
Tribalic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Brzrkr
Why is this broken?

It rides like a dream! I think the suspension could use a little fiddling for my weight but it's great overall. A ton more power than my 01. Still miss my 01 though. It had a lot of character. Can't complain about upgrading to the 05, I'm glad to have the upgraded suspension! It handles unbelievably well!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Brzrkr
Why is this broken?

Thanks for the tip! I'll check them out

Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Tribalic One
This is bat country!

Bike: 2005 white/red R6

No problem, you've also moved into the fuel injection world. I'll never own another bike with carbs, to much of a pain!

You should be more than happy with her.
Tribalic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Brzrkr
Why is this broken?

Yeah fiddling with carbs was a PITA. I thought my 01 was fast. this is entirely a different beast. I've gotta spend some time changing the way I corner the bike again after being on a cruiser for so long before I really feel her out. I'll probably spend some time at the local skills circuit just dicking around.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
androcathr
My R6 eats me.

Total shame about your 01 man, that sucks! I just got rid of my 04 and had a passenger seat and 2 solos for it