Gonna get a second bike. Suggestions? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Darthteddy
Box of Lube

Bike: 2007 R6
Gonna get a second bike. Suggestions?

To start off, I know these threads pop up like twice a week. But im just looking to see what other people have done, would do again, ect.

Second, I realize this is the R6 forum and everyone shall say get another.

So I recently got in a wreck as some of you may know. My bike has been officially totaled by the insurance company and its looking like im actually going to get a fair price for the bike, and get completely reimbursed for all the mods and the custom paint job, gear, ect. Keeping in mind that I got a great price on the bike in the first place, and I owe no money on it.

So my plan is that im gonna buy the bike back from insurance (no brainer), and go ahead and make it a track bike. Its only gonna cost me about $600 to fix it back up, plus buying it back from insurance.

So that leaves me with what to buy to replace it as my daily driver. I drive about 240 miles a day round trip Monday through Friday, plus weekend driving. Im not opposed to buying another r6. If I did id probably get an 08+. But I've also been curious about some of the other bikes out there. What have you guys had in addition to your R6 that you would buy again.

Things I've been looking at are...
08+ R6
R1???
CBR 600rr
S1000rr
Ninja 300
Super Motard

I know my want list is kinda all over the place but I'm really open to whatever. I just would like to try something else. Not looking to get a cruiser and After about 11,000 miles of commuting on the R6 since July, comfort is clearly not an issue in my selection.

The Bmw has been on my bucket list for a long time, but I'm just concerned about what the insurance would be compared to my R6, and the maintenance costs/difficulties. I feel like its one of those "If you have to ask, you cant afford it" type situations. And with the amount of miles ill be putting on the bike, the maintenance intervals become a big deal. Anyways, what suggestions do you guys have for me.

Discuss. . .

Build Thread
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showt...=1#post2895049

Last edited by Darthteddy; 01-12-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
HER6
Needs more stars

Bike: 2005 R6, 2006 DRZ400 SM
Re: Gonna get a second bike. Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthteddy View Post

Discuss. . .
240 miles 5 day a week?! F@*K!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
High Side
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

S1000, Ninja 300, 'motard...

To say your want list is all over the place is the understatement of the year...

High Side is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Darthteddy
Box of Lube

lol. Well at 5000 brand new for the ninja 300 leaves lots of money to upgrade the 6 and pay for track days and tires. Plus the fuel economy. Im at 2 full tanks a day with the 6. And as much as the s1000rr has only been a dream of mine, they are finally down to a price that I could afford to just pay cash and avoid a bike payment. Never been a fan of owing money on a bike when its so easy to total them.

And that mileage is from my Hollywood to San Diego Commute. FML.

My list is all over because the R6 was my dream bike for years. The look always stood out to me from all the other crotch rockets out there. And now that I have what is to me the best looking motorcycle, im not gonna be to picky on the next one.

Build Thread

Last edited by Darthteddy; 01-12-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
OnTheMove
I eat my R6

If i was in your same position..... idk the BMW is NICE! , but is it really a bike youd want to rack up tons of miles on? A super motard would be sweet too, but they generally have pretty small tanks so stopping for fuel might become a hassle after awhile. An R1 wouldnt be a.bad idea either, once you start killin it on the track with the R6 maybe you could start really rippin around the track with the R1...

If i had to choose my choices would be:
1.Super Moto
2. R1
3.S1000RR

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com App
OnTheMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
HER6
Needs more stars

Quote:
lol. Well at 5000 brand new for the ninja 300 leaves lots of money to upgrade the 6 and pay for track days and tires. Plus the fuel economy. Im at 2 full tanks a day with the 6. And as much as the s1000rr has only been a dream of mine, they are finally down to a price that I could afford to just pay cash and avoid a bike payment.

That Hollywood to San Diego Commute. FML.
Why are you not living in San Diego?!

Supermoto was going to be my suggestion because my DRZ is super comfy....BUT...after reading all the details of your daily adventures I don't think that would be the right bike.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
Darthteddy
Box of Lube

That was my biggest worry with the BMW. Pretty much any other bike im more then comfortable doing everything but the biggest maintenance on myself. But id hate to put them on such an amazing machine. On the other hand, the heated handgrips are awfully tempting when its cold out.

And I lived on Pendleton for about a few months and couldnt stand it. Oceanside is just ghetto. And at the time I was dating a girl in Reno, NV, so I was driving out there every weekend. Then I moved to Huntington beach and loved it. Did that drive for about 2 years. Started going to LA a lot and realized how bad I though San Diego was. Then last December I met my girlfriend and promptly moved in with her which happened to be up there.

She has a 7 year old daughter so moving as a family is a huge pain in the ass(Due to deadbeat ex). Were already balls deep in a BS child support case (where we currently pay him $40 a month and he has her 3-4 days a month), and starting the custody case now to get him out of the picture. Once thats all said and done we might move down to orange county to cut back on my driving. But id pick 4 hours on the bike and about the same amount of sleep a day and being able to see my family, over any other situation. Gotta make sacrifices sometimes to be happy in the long run.

Build Thread

Last edited by Darthteddy; 01-12-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
Rriggs92
Yamaha R6

Bike: 07 r6
Commuter. Get the ninja 300! Then like you said tht leaves some cash for a track bike. Or sink a little money into the 300

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Rriggs92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
HER6
Needs more stars

Quote:
That was my biggest worry with the BMW. Pretty much any other bike im more then comfortable doing everything but the biggest maintenance on myself. But id hate to put them on such an amazing machine. On the other hand, the heated handgrips are awfully tempting when its cold out.

And I lived on Pendleton for about a few months and couldnt stand it. Oceanside is just ghetto. And at the time I was dating a girl in Reno, NV, so I was driving out there every weekend. Then I moved to Huntington beach and loved it. Started going to LA a lot and realized how bad I though San Diego was. Then last December I met my girlfriend and promptly moved in. She has a 7 year old daughter so moving as a family is a huge pain in the ass. Were already balls deep in a BS child support case where we pay the dead beat dad $40 a month, and starting the custody case now. Once thats all said and done we might move down to orange county.
Wow. Crazy.

You can get aftermarket heated handgrips regardless of what bike you get.

Personally I would have to go with something with a more upright seat...not a super sport. FZ6/1, SV650/1000, BMW touring-type bike. I can barely go 240 on my R6 without stopping regularly!

Once I started testing out supermotos I feel I would have a hard time going back to a sportbike on the street. Too comfy!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
HER6
Needs more stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriggs92 View Post
Commuter. Get the ninja 300! Then like you said tht leaves some cash for a track bike. Or sink a little money into the 300

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
You mean leaves cash for track DAYS!!!

Feb 18th at Buttonwillow with Let's Ride.