» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > Off Topic Talk

Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: some stupid ones
King Obama and his recos....

The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama is taking to address gun violence.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2IA59vAOU
redisdeadrideblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter

Re: King Obama and his recos....

Basically, what it says is that he cant do shit without congress. I love #16.... Under obamacare doctors can ask patients about guns in their homes. Im sure they really need to know that shit, right? Totally affects their diagnosis of why I may or may not be suffering from anal leakage.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

That list looks pretty reasonable to me. It's focused on mental health and training people. And yeah, he can't ban, confiscate, etc. without getting Congress on board, which I think is how we'd all like it to stay.

The legislation he's pushing for is:
- Assault weapons ban (whatever that means?)
- Magazine capacity limited to 10 rounds
- Universal background checks

I'm fine with universal background checks. I'd be willing to barter high capacity mags for a national CCW program - but the assault weapon ban is just silly. We did it once already. Didn't make a lick of difference.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
BigShepp
Tron has corrupted me

Bike: 2005 R6 Raven "Deimos"
"King" Obama is right. Pretty soon we'll be a monarchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Proverbs 14:23

“Faster, Faster, Until The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.”
Hunter S. Thompson

"It wasn't until I went to college and I got my first motorcycle that I understood the thrill of speed."
Vin Diesel
BigShepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
That list looks pretty reasonable to me. It's focused on mental health and training people. And yeah, he can't ban, confiscate, etc. without getting Congress on board, which I think is how we'd all like it to stay.

The legislation he's pushing for is:
- Assault weapons ban (whatever that means?)
- Magazine capacity limited to 10 rounds
- Universal background checks

I'm fine with universal background checks. I'd be willing to barter high capacity mags for a national CCW program - but the assault weapon ban is just silly. We did it once already. Didn't make a lick of difference.
No, no trading of one right for another when both are already rights. Why should I give up something I hold legally for the possibility of maybe being allowed to carry a concealed weapon. I can do that now, and to be honest, Im willing to roll the dice on a misdemeanor for a loaded firearm more than I am to go someplace that has a reputation for being shitty without a means to protect myself and my family.

What does "Shall not be infringed upon" mean to you?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Miller'sR6
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2012 Yamaha Blue R6

And all these new rules are not going to make a damn bit of difference. All the crazies are still going to get guns. Im glad I have a couple of guns allready.
Miller'sR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
No, no trading of one right for another when both are already rights. Why should I give up something I hold legally for the possibility of maybe being allowed to carry a concealed weapon. I can do that now, and to be honest, Im willing to roll the dice on a misdemeanor for a loaded firearm more than I am to go someplace that has a reputation for being shitty without a means to protect myself and my family.

It doesn't really matter what it means to me - it matters what it means to the judges on the Supreme Court.

I mean - I'm with you. I don't understand how the hell CA can get away with banning OPEN carry - but the reality of the situation is the law exists and it's not going anywhere.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
danaatscootdotnet
www.1seven1.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Wait, you missed the first part:

"... the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I love it when one minute the constitution and amendments are viewed as completely ridged, then totally subject to flexible interpretation the next. Often by the same people.

When Jefferson ratified the amendment, do you think he had black powder muzzle loaders in mind, or neighborhood nukes? And here lays the HUGE grey area and main point of contention between two polar-opposite groups with extreme points of view.

And yup, I've got a CCW and black weapons that hold a lot more than 10 rounds. I find the extreme positions and rhetoric an utter waste of time and resources.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Mac7504
Stab-stab, twist!!!!

Bike: 08 R6S + 08 R6LE

Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaatscootdotnet View Post
Wait, you missed the first part:

"... the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I love it when one minute the constitution and amendments are viewed as completely ridged, then totally subject to flexible interpretation the next. Often by the same people.

When Jefferson ratified the amendment, do you think he had black powder muzzle loaders in mind, or neighborhood nukes? And here lays the HUGE grey area and main point of contention between two polar-opposite groups with extreme points of view.

And yup, I've got a CCW and black weapons that hold a lot more than 10 rounds. I find the extreme positions and rhetoric an utter waste of time and resources.
I agree, the Constitution is interpreted however it suits the interpreter it seems, which isnt how I believe it was to be seen.

And does it matter what TJ envisioned in terms of weapons? The man was a genius among other geniuses, and to assert that they didnt expect bigger, badder weapons in the future would be a little naive and a drastic underestimation of their intelligence. I can sensibly agree to some of the things suggested, but then, we get into horsetrading aspects of rights that are already guaranteed. Why put something on the table for debate when by definition it shouldnt be.

Maybe there are those out there that failed history and dont realize that guns built the America they call home, and guns are what ensures that that freedom is retained. Tell me with a straight face that democratic foreign policy is going to stop China if they decide to invade.... How serious do you take diplomacy before someone sticks a big gun in your face? Are we, as a (mis)represented electorate to view our government as anything other than something we should be suspicious of? How many bills pass each year that no one reads?

In the end, I dont see mandated gun surrendering, because who is going to do it? Do you see the police coming to your door to take your guns? What are they going to do, knock with their guns drawn holding a list of what you have and expect you to turn it over? Or even get past the door? Which amendment would that violate first, due process under the law or illegal search and seizure or self incrimination? Do I surrender my 5th amendment right by virtue of registering my firearm? I believe that the constitution and the men who wrote it would say no. So is this an assault on the second amendment solely, or does it go further than that? Are we really going to follow suit with New York, as a country, and start the erosion of some of our core amendments set in place to protect us from the government that is supposed to represent us in the first place?

More is at stake here than high cap mags and features on a rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement