ECU Flashing Questions : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 01-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
drew62987
My R6 eats me.

ECU Flashing Questions

Ok so Im researching R6's for the 2015 season. I plan on buying all the upgrades throughout the year and just ripping down the bike the day I get it. My question is about the ECU flashing. Im used to dealing with gsxr's and have no idea what half of the flash options are. Could someone please explain them to me and if anyone has any experience with having your ecu flashed vs using dynojet or bazzaz let me know what you thought was better.

??Remove all throttle based restrictions
Race ignition timing (for premium pump gas)
??YCC-T Race Throttle
??Bypassing the factory o2 sensor for better throttle response
Adjustable velocity stack opening point

So what throttle base restrictions are there and how do they work?
What in hell is YCC-T Race Throttle? (Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle)
Now I know almost every time the o2 sensor is removed but if you're flashing the ecu and aren't using any products that have their own o2 sensor wouldn't you want to leave that in to read the exhaust and make its own adjustments based on what you changed the fuel maps too?

Last edited by drew62987; 01-14-2014 at 10:42 PM.
drew62987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 03:09 AM   #2
Locci
Go fast or die slow.

Bike: R6 08 racer
Re: ECU Flashing Questions

I'd go with a proper YEC reflash.
Any piggyback system won't be as good as the ECU.

As a OEM ECU it limits throttle opening to 80% when you're below 10.000rpm
With the YEC reflash you get the ability to open them to 100% at any rpm.

The o2 sensor very limited in the way it works.
It's a narrow band sensor and will only work at lower throttle openings.
At WOT the ECU runs without the o2 sensor, but adds/retracts fuel based on air temp and air density.

The velocity stacks gives you the benefits of two worlds, the give you more power all over the rpm range by altering the intake length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew62987 View Post
Ok so Im researching R6's for the 2015 season. I plan on buying all the upgrades throughout the year and just ripping down the bike the day I get it. My question is about the ECU flashing. Im used to dealing with gsxr's and have no idea what half of the flash options are. Could someone please explain them to me and if anyone has any experience with having your ecu flashed vs using dynojet or bazzaz let me know what you thought was better.

??Remove all throttle based restrictions
Race ignition timing (for premium pump gas)
??YCC-T Race Throttle
??Bypassing the factory o2 sensor for better throttle response
Adjustable velocity stack opening point

So what throttle base restrictions are there and how do they work?
What in hell is YCC-T Race Throttle? (Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle)
Now I know almost every time the o2 sensor is removed but if you're flashing the ecu and aren't using any products that have their own o2 sensor wouldn't you want to leave that in to read the exhaust and make its own adjustments based on what you changed the fuel maps too?
Locci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locci View Post
I'd go with a proper YEC reflash.
Any piggyback system won't be as good as the ECU.

As a OEM ECU it limits throttle opening to 80% when you're below 10.000rpm
With the YEC reflash you get the ability to open them to 100% at any rpm.

The o2 sensor very limited in the way it works.
It's a narrow band sensor and will only work at lower throttle openings.
At WOT the ECU runs without the o2 sensor, but adds/retracts fuel based on air temp and air density.

The velocity stacks gives you the benefits of two worlds, the give you more power all over the rpm range by altering the intake length.
i'm pretty sure the throttle body butterflys are restricted at HIGH rpm, not below 10,000 rpm. Yes, a flash unrestricts the butterfly openings to allow a few more HP at high rpm.
I'm a fan of keeping a power commander for your fuel mapping/quick shifter kill time adjustments/ignition timing adjustments. Flashing your map to the ecu is not a bad idea, and saves $ on a pc BUT without the software and ability to do your own flash, you can't make ANY changes to these things..

Get with Bauce-Racing (chiefsmokedog on this forum) and just have the box flashed. If you plan to make changes, get a pcV or other fuel management box.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
Locci
Go fast or die slow.

Bike: R6 08 racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
i'm pretty sure the throttle body butterflys are restricted at HIGH rpm, not below 10,000 rpm. Yes, a flash unrestricts the butterfly openings to allow a few more HP at high rpm.
I'm a fan of keeping a power commander for your fuel mapping/quick shifter kill time adjustments/ignition timing adjustments. Flashing your map to the ecu is not a bad idea, and saves $ on a pc BUT without the software and ability to do your own flash, you can't make ANY changes to these things..

Get with Bauce-Racing (chiefsmokedog on this forum) and just have the box flashed. If you plan to make changes, get a pcV or other fuel management box.
From what i've seen the butterflys are limited below 10.000rpm on the stock ECU.

But any how, the YEC firmware is a way better
And yes, i agree with you that a pcV or bazzaz is more user friendly for adjustments as you're provided with the software and cable to adjust.

But most people that do the flashing is also able to provide the cable and software to adjust the ECU after having it flashed.
Locci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
bluerebel
Sometimes..........

Bike: 2012 R6
Contact Anthony from Bauce Racing. He will get you squared away and will answer any questions you have. There's a thread "first impressions..." On this forum.... It's a huge one but there's a few people in there that give their feedback on the flash.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

bluerebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
marcustrotta
My R6 eats me.

Bike: Yamaha R6

I use flash-tune to flash my racing R6. It allows you to:

- Remove ECU
- Reduce Engine Braking
- Tune fuel maps (with or without PC map importing)
- Fuel Maps Fuel Injector Proportioning
- Ignition Timing
- Set Cooling Fan Temps
- Set Rev-Limiter Control
- Set ECU Based Quick-shifting (need extra hardware)
- Speedometer calibrations (based on %, sprocket ratio ou turn the speedometer into gear indicator -> what I use)
- Disable AIS, EXUP, O2 sensor
- Remove Electronic Throttle restrictions (it's in the high RPMs not low)
- Change Variable Stacks opening time
- And some other things

The downside is that it takes a long time to write to the ECU (same with YEC), so a lot of people use a Power Commander on top (even with YEC) so they can simply make fast changes on track, since you can do it in seconds with the bike running with PC.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Marcus
marcustrotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
Mac7504
Belly on rotund

Bike: 08 R6(S)exy + 08 R6LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcustrotta View Post
I use flash-tune to flash my racing R6. It allows you to:

- Remove ECU
- Reduce Engine Braking
- Tune fuel maps (with or without PC map importing)
- Fuel Maps Fuel Injector Proportioning
- Ignition Timing
- Set Cooling Fan Temps
- Set Rev-Limiter Control
- Set ECU Based Quick-shifting (need extra hardware)
- Speedometer calibrations (based on %, sprocket ratio ou turn the speedometer into gear indicator -> what I use)
- Disable AIS, EXUP, O2 sensor
- Remove Electronic Throttle restrictions (it's in the high RPMs not low)
- Change Variable Stacks opening time
- And some other things

The downside is that it takes a long time to write to the ECU (same with YEC), so a lot of people use a Power Commander on top (even with YEC) so they can simply make fast changes on track, since you can do it in seconds with the bike running with PC.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Marcus

I think it took under 10-15mins to flash my ECU...Not very long at all...

Then again, I did have, the man, the legend, Chief in my garage handling de shit...
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
marcustrotta
My R6 eats me.

Yup .. it's something between 7-10 minutes usually. The only issue is that if you're on the track and needs to change a fuel map quickly, you don't want to waste 10 minutes of track time doing it. It's easier with a PC where you hook the computer and change the map in 2 seconds ...

That's the main reason why a lot of people use PC, Bazzaz or RapidBike on top of a YEC ECU our even a flashed one

Now if you don't need to made changes on the track ... no need for a piggyback module.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
marcustrotta
My R6 eats me.

BTW, forgot to mention about the other modules.

PC will allow you to change:
- Fuel Maps
- Ignition (with an additional ignition module)
- Quickshifter (with an additional QS hw)
- Secondary Fuel Injectors (with an additional SFM module)
- Autotune (with an additional AT module and wideband sensor)
- 2 maps (with an additional switch)
Flashing won't give you is the AutoTune and 2 maps compared to Dynojet

Bazzaz
- Fuel Maps for 8 injectors(with ZFi module)
- Quickshifter (with QS4 module)
- Traction Control (with ZFi TC module that has QS as well)
- AutoTune (with ZAFM module)
- 2 Maps (with additional switch)
Bazzaz doesn't have ingnition modules
Flashing won't give you Traction Control, AutoTune and 2 maps compared to Bazzaz

RadidBike Racing
- Fuel Maps for 8 injectors
- Ignition
- Engine Braking
- 2 maps
- Pitlane limiter
- RPM Limiter
- Quickshifter (with additional hw)
- Autotune (with additional hw/sensor)
The bad thing is the you can't use RapidBike sw. Only authorized dealers have access to the software to tune bikes.

Regards,

Marcus
Old 01-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
Mac7504
Belly on rotund

Bike: 08 R6(S)exy + 08 R6LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcustrotta View Post
Yup .. it's something between 7-10 minutes usually. The only issue is that if you're on the track and needs to change a fuel map quickly, you don't want to waste 10 minutes of track time doing it. It's easier with a PC where you hook the computer and change the map in 2 seconds ...

That's the main reason why a lot of people use PC, Bazzaz or RapidBike on top of a YEC ECU our even a flashed one

Now if you don't need to made changes on the track ... no need for a piggyback module.
Gotcha and agreed.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement