Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2006 R6 Recall - Air Filter

24K views 175 replies 60 participants last post by  Yamahauler 
#1 ·
All registered owners of 06 R6's will be getting a letter soon about this recall...I actually had this happen to me on the track, :fact

RECALL ON 2006 YZF-R6 AIR FILTER ELEMENTS
Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in all 2006 YZF-R6V, VC, SPV, and SPVC (“R6”) model motorcycles. In affected motorcycles, the air filter mounting screws may come loose and fall out. If they do, they could get caught in the throttle valve which could prevent the operator from reducing engine speed properly. This could result in loss of control and a vehicle crash with injury or death. To correct this defect, Yamaha is initiating a Factory Modification Campaign. Affected motorcycles must have the air filter element replaced with a new one
that is designed to hold the screws securely.
In the near future, Yamaha will notify all registered owners of affected motorcycles by mail, and will send a Technical Bulletin to authorized Yamaha Motorcycle dealers with the necessary modification information.
This recall also affects any air filter elements you might have in stock for maintenance, as well as any accessory GYTR Performance High Flow Air Filters for the R6 that you may have in inventory. Do not sell any of these filters; they
should be returned to Yamaha for credit as described in the upcoming bulletin. Motorcycles that are affected should not be operated until they are modified. It is a violation of Yamaha policy for your dealership to deliver any affected motorcycles to customers until the procedures in the bulletin are performed.

See less See more
#12 ·
extrakt0r said:
All registered owners of 06 R6's will be getting a letter soon about this recall...I actually had this happen to me on the track, :fact

Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in all 2006 YZF-R6V, VC, SPV, and SPVC (“R6”) model motorcycles. In affected motorcycles, the air filter mounting screws may come loose and fall out. If they do, they could get caught in the throttle valve which could prevent the operator from reducing engine speed properly. This could result in loss of control and a vehicle crash with injury or death. To correct this defect, Yamaha is initiating a Factory Modification Campaign. Affected motorcycles must have the air filter element replaced with a new one
In the near future, Yamaha will notify all registered owners of affected motorcycles by mail, and will send a Technical Bulletin to authorized Yamaha Motorcycle dealers with the necessary modification information.
This recall also affects any air filter elements you might have in stock for maintenance, as well as any accessory GYTR Performance High Flow Air Filters for the R6 that you may have in inventory. Do not sell any of these filters; they
should be returned to Yamaha for credit as described in the upcoming bulletin. Motorcycles that are affected should not be operated until they are modified. It is a violation of Yamaha policy for your dealership to deliver any affected motorcycles to customers until the procedures in the bulletin are performed.
called my dealer gave them my vin and my bike is clean they said

#13 ·
Mkiv said:
called my dealer gave them my vin and my bike is clean they said
huh what u mean by clean, they said your bike doesn't effect the recall? I wouldn't trust them, call Yamaha instead and give them your vin#.

#17 ·
cls06r6 said:
I just got off the phone with Yamaha, and she told me that the recall effects all 2006 YZF R6. She read the recall to me and it is was the same as the post on here. Thanks for the post. The phone # for Yamaha Customer Relations is (800) 962-7926.
so theres a 100% chance that while im riding down the road sometime in the future my whateve ris going to get stuck in my throttle and jam my throttle open?

#18 ·
She told me that I should not ride the bike until I get it fixed, This is my first brand new bike, and I never had a new car. I do not know if this is going to happen to you, or any one, I just think that they are not going to do a recall for nothing, IMHO. I just know that I am going to have it fixed or I am going to worry about it, and it is not going to cost me anything. I was also thinking that since I do not know the size of the screw, so if somehow it gets past the valve, into the cyclinder, it could do alot of damage, and then they would ask why did you not get it fixed, so that is why I am having it fixed. If my thinking is wrong I am a newb. :) I hope this helps.

#20 ·
extrakt0r said:

I wonder if my bike is affected, Mine is a YZF R6 VCL. It says the R6V, VC, SPV, and SPVC are the one affected.

#25 ·
SRPS13 said:
If so do we warranty them through our local dealer or yamaha directly? I have both factory filter and GYTR.
dealership, call them and make an appointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.