Possible Engine Lockup - What to start crossing things off? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 07-06-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
I love grits
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Possible Engine Lockup - What to start crossing things off?

CliffNotes:

Bought bike that had been layed down and would not crank.
Charged battery and still get relay click.
Tried push starting (didn't think of possible gas in cylinders) , speedo read 7mph, let out of 2nd and the rear did lock up.

What should I do next?

Hey guys,

I bought a 2001 r6 with 15k on the odometer that has been layed down on the left side. I bought it from the second owner (who buys/resells bikes for a living) who bought it from the original owner. The original man was a hispanic man with poor English and so the exact causes as to why the engine wouldnt turn over were not found. The man I bought it from does not like to rebuild engines, so after he tried putting in a different battery and nothing happened, he put it up for sale.

The instrument cluster lights up, the lights work correctly and upon trying to start the bike - you hear the famous "click" from the relay.

I took the battery out, hooked it up to my charger :

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...37266-VEC1097A

and got a full charge reading from the charger itself (it has a built in computer that monitors voltage, current etc).

Hooked it up to the bike again, and the relay clicked just like it did before.

I am going to charge that battery and a spare I have, and take them both to autozone in the morning to ensure they can handle a load- but I am fairly certain they will be able to.

I did not think of gas in the cylinders, and I did try to push start the bike. The spedometer read 7 mph, I was in 2nd gear, slowly backed off the clutch and the rear did lock up.

Attached is a video of me trying to start the bike after putting the charged battery back on.

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MVI_0134.flv

And yes, the same thing happens when starting with the clutch in.

Now I am not looking to hear you shouldn't have bought that bike and all that, I bought it knowing what I was getting into. My question though is : What should I start with?
Pull the plugs and try to turn her over by hand to make sure its not locked up? Get a new relay or test the starter?

I'm new to bikes so I just need some help of what I need to check, and in what order would make the most sense.

I have access to a working r6 engine that has a hairline crack in the housing that spits oil, but otherwise works fine that I can get the internals out of and swap over ... or see if my certified welder buddy can weld up the crack. But it involves me going to pick it up, and I would rather locate the problem first.

I just need some help in determining my next steps. It's as easy as you saying :

Battery load test, new relay, pull and test starter, etc .

Thanks for your help guys, and I can't wait to get it running right.

Last edited by I love grits; 07-06-2007 at 07:08 PM.
I love grits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
blue03r6
doing your fat girlfriend

Bike: 03 R6
Re: Possible Engine Lockup - What to start crossing things off?

I dunno ron, that def seems like something mechanically wrong there.
that video, I can tell your battery is def good. if it were not, you would only hear a click from the starter. that is trying to crank over.

since it was wrecked on the left side I would pull the stator cover off and inspect the starter gear. see if it is installed correctly etc.. and at that point you can turn (or try)the motor over with a socket and ratchet by the flywheel. especially since it was wrecked on that side the stator could be hitting the rotor in there etc..

also, you could pull the oil pump cover(its just called this for some reason even though the oil pump is not behind it) to see if something happened to the timing chain. again you can turn the motor by the crankshaft rotor bolt behind this cover.

thats not a bad idea removing the sparkplugs. this will let you know if the engine is hydrolocked. if it was off laying on its side it may have filled up the cylinders with something. oil I doubt but gas its very likely.

judging by your other pics (yeah Im nosy) I'm sure you can get this figured out.

the R6messagenet has service manuals for download. they are just not up and running at this hour for maintenence. I'll post you the link in a few. or someone else can.

Last edited by blue03r6; 07-07-2007 at 03:30 AM.
blue03r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
I love grits

Alright, I pulled the plugs today - they all looked to be in good shape ; not covered in oil, no damaged electrodes.

I pulled the stator cover, as well as the timing cover, and could turn the engine over by hand. My question is, shouldnt I be able to turn as many times as I want to? About halfway through, it hits a "rough" spot (catches a little bit and then breaks free), and the two extremes I cannot turn it past where they are for fear of rounding off the bolt heads (obviouslly much harder than it was when turning smoothly)

Here are the two videos -

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MVI_0139.flv

Oh, and it turns just shy of 360* before locking up, so its not able to turn a full revolution. And if you turn it with speed, at the rough spot , it makes a slight "clunk" noise

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by I love grits; 07-07-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
blue03r6

maybe the timing is off and the valves are hitting the pistons.

simple enough check for that. but you will have to pull the valve cover off.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:02 AM   #5
Paytheon
I eat my R6

What is odd is he is moving the pistons and rods thru full motion it appears. However, the starter is hard locking up against something mechanical it seems. I think I would attempt to remove the starter and work inward from that position.

Paytheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:21 AM   #6
blue03r6

he already removed the starter gear in the videos. or so it appears. we can check that off the list.

Ilovegrits, does that rotor or the flywheel behind it look bent?

Last edited by blue03r6; 07-08-2007 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
I love grits

Welp, I got her tore down to bare frame. Just waiting on some stands to get here from the man in Brown, to take the front and rear tires off.... yes, that's right - you can easily pull the engine w/o a stand; in fact, I did it by myself with nothing more than a floor jack (touch me twice I know haha ) . Also, you do not need to cut the chain, just pull the front sprocket.

I'm starting my next hitch tomorrow morning at 5 (I work 7 on 7 off on an onshore oil rig) so tearing into her will take a week for me to find time as its a 12.5 hour shift plus a 2 hour total commute.

I figured I would throw some pictures up just for shits and giggles :

Looks kinda heavinsh, no?

Looks a little sad without all that fairings and engine to fill her in.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will keep everyone updated when the rebuild begins.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
mickr_6
My R6 used to eat me

Bike: 1999 R1 and 1999 KLR 650

Thats not good man.
Could be as blue says, the timing may have slipped and valves hitting pistons
Now you have the engine out just start at the top, take valve cover off and check timing chain marks and check valve movements first
Good luck

1999 R1

Polished Rims

Carbon Vented front mudguard

Carbon Vented rear hugger

Braided hoses front and rear

Yoshi R7 oval stainless slip on

Ohlins steering damper

R1 top yoke cover

R1 wavy rear disc

R1 reservoir cap

Double bubble tinted screen
mickr_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
I love grits

Welp got the top end off, and discovered that 6 out of the 8 intake valves were not seating properly. The pistons all move correctly and without binding, and do not appear to have any type of excessive deposits or damaged walls etc.

What do yall do for the attachment to remove the valve springs?

Here are some pictures:

All of the other piston heads had darker deposits than the ones you can see here.

And just for clarification, the pistons move in syncronization correct? By that I mean the 4th and 1st pistons are in unison, and the 2nd and 3rd?

I'll keep yall updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement