Racers Please help Cam Degree specs : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 08-19-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
rchristian56
Zombies may bite!!!!

Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6
Racers Please help Cam Degree specs

I've asked this in the engine section but know one can help me.....

I need the cam degrees for a 2007 R6, the opening for both intake and ex at .050" and the closing for both at .050"

Just some specs I dont care if there factory or racing.

I'm looking more for streetable marks something better mid rangy. Something where the intake valve is clossing earlier then later this way it builds up more presure in the cylnder.

I'm not too worried about top speed since I do not need to hit 140 for any reason on the street but getting the cams degreed in better will help with a more snappy throttle and thats something I miss in the R6.

Well thanks for any help anyone can give me I've been looking and asking for some time now!!
rchristian56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
blue03r6
doing your fat girlfriend

Bike: 03 R6
Re: Racers Please help Cam Degree specs

I would think you are wasting time. just change the final drive gearing (sprockets on the wheel and engine not the cam sprockets)
furthuremore, I don't think the stock cam gears are adjustable. you would have to buy the racing kit gears for this.
http://www.yamaha-racingparts.com/r6...geid=0&kitid=5

Last edited by blue03r6; 08-24-2007 at 02:24 PM.
blue03r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
rchristian56
Zombies may bite!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue03r6
I would think you are wasting time. just change the final drive gearing (sprockets on the wheel and engine not the cam sprockets)
furthuremore, the stock cam gears are not adjustable. you would have to buy the racing kit gears for this.
http://www.yamaha-racingparts.com/r6...geid=0&kitid=5

Changing final gear drive has nothing to do with cam adjusting or the results I'm looking for with degreeing the cams.

As for sprockets I can make factory ones adjustable, do not need to spend any money on that!

I've done these many time on many bikes but I have never had so much trouble finding some specs this is crazy!!

Anyone who knows anything about cam degreeing will agree with me it is worth the time to get these things dialed in!

Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
blue03r6
doing your fat girlfriend

Bike: 03 R6

I got ya. I just thought you were wanting some take off power etc...didn't know the engine isn't tuned well enough for ya.
blue03r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
rchristian56
Zombies may bite!!!!

It's not that factory isn't tuned well it's just that there is more potential there so why not take it.

Cams come degreed at a factory rating before they are added to the bike. So when they are added to a motor with a crank and chain and after break in with tension and heat taking it's toll just after the first 100 miles the cam specs will go off.

So bringing the the cams back into specs keeps the engine running nice gives better throttle response and keeps all things timed in.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
rchristian56
Zombies may bite!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintong
hey i was reading your post from last year i am sitting with a 2007 R6 in pieces just changed the head gasket now want to do the cam timing. did you get any joy with yours cause i am clue less what timing to put to get the most horse power?

thanks
Clinton
Clintong,

Well I went long and hard looking for answers and no one really had a good answer for me.

What I did was bought a set of slotted cam gears from Graves and started playing.

Factory cam timing for the 07 R6 is as follows;
Intake open btdc is 39 deg
Intake close abdc is 65 deg

Exhaust open bbdc is 63 deg
Exhaust close atdc is 25 deg

These numbers alone can be hard to come by so keep them safe.

On the 2008 R6 they did change the Exhaust open to 64 deg and close to 24 deg but I did not use those numbers.

What I suggest is playing with the timing, it is really a rider preferred number and if you have a dyno it helps out a lot also, if not just keep trying until it feels right for you.

Just setting the timing to factory can be an improvement, remember that even though these specs are what they should be at, motors are made by machines and cam gears and chains are set in the motors with machines that do not have a very consistent way to make sure that all the specs and clearances are perfect so the cam timing can be off and setting them right can be a big improvement and worth the time just setting them straight.

P.s. if you need any help with how to degree the cams let me know do not atempt to do it without knowing what the steps are and how to get propper techincs done right.

Just in case
BTDC means before top dead center
ABDC means after bottom dead center
BBDC means before bottom dead center
ATDC means after bottom dead center

Hope this helps if you need more info let me know I will try to help.

Also I will revive the thread and repost this message there for you.

Thank you,
Robert
ccs#109
Robert

<Click> Blue03r6<----(thats my spell checker)

Ride it like the wifes at home with the kids

Mods: Fluxcapacitor, what else would I need?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
Agent4573
Studmuffin

Bike: 04 R6
Send a message via AIM to Agent4573

good to know. I've looked before for the specs and couldn't find them anywhere....
Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
dirtracer99
My R6 eats me.

What about race specs of a 09 r6???

And if someone can just give a rundown of how you degree cams, it seems pretty easy just want clarification.
Thanks
dirtracer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement