choke how to use it! : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 03-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
soccermaster7788
noobie

Bike: 2000 yamaha r6 YZF
choke how to use it!

hey guys,

i want to finally figure out how to use my choke on my 2000 r6 bike. My dad used to be a mechanic and knows a lot of stuff. Hes telling me that the bike should not idel in neutral.... which is what i hve been doing. I turn on the choke and let the bike sit there until its like at 130 and i can take the chike off and start riding.

So in short.... some people tell me to ride with the choke on and then turn it off while riding, while others tell me to let the bike warm up before riding.

can you guys help me out and give me the scoop on this.
will much appriciate it!!!!

philipp
soccermaster7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Captscooter 954 R6
STOP PROJECTING ON ME@!!@

Bike: 2002 954, 2006 R6
Re: choke how to use it!

the choke should only be used for warm up. i dont know why the hell anyone would tell you otherwise.. thats like simple first day tech shit.
2006 RAVEN-Full Yosh TRC Carbon System. Graves Block-Off Plates, PC3 USB, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Speedo Healer, Greggs Customs Front Flush Mounts. Powdercoated Pass. Pegs and Rearsets. Zero Gravity Clear Dubble Bubble. CRG Shorty Roll-A-Click Levers in Black. Michelin Pilot Power 2CT Front and Rear. EBC HH front Pads. Galfer Black Brake Lines. Acumen Digital Gear Indicator. GYTR Filter. Tuned Stock Suspension. Integrated Rear Turn Signals into Pass. Pegs with L.E.D.s
Captscooter 954 R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
soccermaster7788
noobie

well i know its just as long till the bike is warm... but can i start riding with it on and turn it off while riding or should i wait for it to warm up and then take off???
Old 03-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
varnaR6
My R6 has returned!!

Bike: 2005 R6, 2007 R1

All bikes are different - all carbs are different. That's the first thing to understand. My ZZR is fine riding with the choke on for 2 minutes, doesn't foul my plugs. My R6 doesn't require it, I start up with full choke until the idle (not the temperature) runs up, it usually peaks at 4.2k with full choke, I try to cut the choke by 3krpm. At the first idle peak, I cut back to around 1/2 choke and get my gear on. By the time I'm done I turn the choke off - depending on the outside temperature, sometimes she's warm, sometimes she still needs a minute but the engine can sustain combustion.

You need to use choke for a little time as is necessary to keep the engine running. I can cut my choke after about 15 seconds, the engine will stay on, but I don't because it idles at 1krpm for a few minutes if I do that. I prefer to cut the choke when the engine can idle at its running speed (I keep my idle at 1.3krpm), not below.

As for idling - there's no reason not to idle in neutral, matter of fact, I'm not sure where else you'd like to idle.

As for riding with the choke on, like I said above, my ZZR does it without fouling the plugs. On most bikes, if you run with the choke on you'll be fouling the plugs up fast. It doesn't take long either a 1 or 2 minute ride with full choke is enough to demand a clean up on the plugs. Long story short, don't ride with your choke on, not even partially.

If you find that you MUST ride with your choke on to keep the bike running for a few minutes, that's NOT normal and you need to check your carbs, A/F ratio and fuel pump, filter and lines.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Captscooter 954 R6
STOP PROJECTING ON ME@!!@

Bike: 2002 954, 2006 R6

i guess u can ride with it on. but i mean how long until the thing gets started and warms up enough to start riding.. like 2 or 3 min..? shouldnt be much longer than that. if you have issues of it not ideling or whatver it probably means u have some tune up issues that need to be adressed. like needing plugs maybe some wires. a carb sync and other minor stuff.
2006 RAVEN-Full Yosh TRC Carbon System. Graves Block-Off Plates, PC3 USB, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Speedo Healer, Greggs Customs Front Flush Mounts. Powdercoated Pass. Pegs and Rearsets. Zero Gravity Clear Dubble Bubble. CRG Shorty Roll-A-Click Levers in Black. Michelin Pilot Power 2CT Front and Rear. EBC HH front Pads. Galfer Black Brake Lines. Acumen Digital Gear Indicator. GYTR Filter. Tuned Stock Suspension. Integrated Rear Turn Signals into Pass. Pegs with L.E.D.s
Captscooter 954 R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
soccermaster7788
noobie

alright thanks guys!!! it does just take like 2 minutes.... so its all fine.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
jmejiaa
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 R6

I put my choke on for 2 minutes until it can keep and idle on it's own. Then I just let it warm up a little. The choke is more to help it turn on I guess. I've had other bikes and even a car with choke and I have always done the same.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Dieselboy
My R6 eats you.

Bike: 2010 Yamaha M1

I usually use full choke to start, pull it back to half choke after 10 seconds. I then turn it completely off as soon as it will idle without it, this is usually 10-40 seconds.
Colin #686
NESBA A | CCS AM
BrewCrew
///If you ride like lightning, you’re gonna crash like thunder.

Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement