2002 R6 Idle Troubles? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 03-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Irillus
YZF-R you kidding?

Bike: 2002 R6 Abarth Replica
2002 R6 Idle Troubles?

So my 2002 R6 seems to not be able to idle stably. I get it set to about 1,200 RPM's with the idle adjustment knob. Then as soon as I twist the throttle it revs up and stays around 4 grand. I then have to turn the Idle knob down to get the RPM's to drop back down to idle speed. But then I can twist the throttle and it goes right back to 4-3 grand and stays there till I twist the Idle adjustment back down again. It eventually gets to where my idle knob is turned all the way down so the bike either wont idle at all or it revs up too high as soon as the throttle is touched. The idle speed only stays stable when the throttle is not touched (I know that sounds stupid). It was doing the same thing before I did the re-build so I am running sea foam through the tank to hopefully clean gummed up areas in the carbs. Any ideas what might be causing this problem?

Custom 1/2 Fairings-Custom Valentino Rossi Phillip Island 2007 Graphics-Custom Paint-MIG High Mount Exhaust System #468/500-K&N filters-GPR V1 steering damper-DynoJet Stage 2 jetting-Gafler brake pads-Pirelli Diablo Rosso's-Ano levers-Integrated tail light-Carbon intake covers-Double Bubble screen-Signal mirrors-Custom plate bracket-Heated Grips-Clear flush mount front signals-Vortex gas lid-Dzus Fastners.
Irillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
MNR6MAN
I eat my R6

Bike: 02 R6 BLUE 07 R6 CHARCOAL
Re: 2002 R6 Idle Troubles?

carbs dirty vacume leak something sticking or mounted wrong
MNR6MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
emry
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Typical lean idle issue. Do your homework on how carbs work.
emry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Irillus
YZF-R you kidding?

Must have been the carbs gummed up because when I got home from work I fired it up after the sea foam had sat in the carbs all night and it kicked a big puff of dark black smoke then ran smooth as a baby butt. Instant throttle response and then drops back to idle.

Thanks guys,

Custom 1/2 Fairings-Custom Valentino Rossi Phillip Island 2007 Graphics-Custom Paint-MIG High Mount Exhaust System #468/500-K&N filters-GPR V1 steering damper-DynoJet Stage 2 jetting-Gafler brake pads-Pirelli Diablo Rosso's-Ano levers-Integrated tail light-Carbon intake covers-Double Bubble screen-Signal mirrors-Custom plate bracket-Heated Grips-Clear flush mount front signals-Vortex gas lid-Dzus Fastners.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
r6_me
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irillus View Post
So my 2002 R6 seems to not be able to idle stably. I get it set to about 1,200 RPM's with the idle adjustment knob. Then as soon as I twist the throttle it revs up and stays around 4 grand. I then have to turn the Idle knob down to get the RPM's to drop back down to idle speed. But then I can twist the throttle and it goes right back to 4-3 grand and stays there till I twist the Idle adjustment back down again. It eventually gets to where my idle knob is turned all the way down so the bike either wont idle at all or it revs up too high as soon as the throttle is touched. The idle speed only stays stable when the throttle is not touched (I know that sounds stupid). It was doing the same thing before I did the re-build so I am running sea foam through the tank to hopefully clean gummed up areas in the carbs. Any ideas what might be causing this problem?
whats sea foam? and do u just put it in your gas tank?
r6_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Irillus
YZF-R you kidding?

Sea Foam is engine magic. It is was designed to be used in Marine engines that cannot be disassembled at sea. Sea foam can be added to your oil and your gas. When you run sea foam through your system the internals look new and it cleans all residue out of your drive train and carbs.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Old 04-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
99EM1
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

How do you use Seafoam? My R6 is having similar unstable idle problems and frequent stalls.
99EM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
Irillus
YZF-R you kidding?

Just go to Autozone or Advanced and pick up a can. You just pour it into your gas and your crankcase (in the right amounts). Your bikes exhaust smokes for a few minutes then runs really clean and smooth. I have however found the root cause of my problem is lean jetting due to my K&N air filter and shortened Leo Vice exhaust. A new DynoJet kit is on the way.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
r6_me
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irillus View Post
Just go to Autozone or Advanced and pick up a can. You just pour it into your gas and your crankcase (in the right amounts). Your bikes exhaust smokes for a few minutes then runs really clean and smooth. I have however found the root cause of my problem is lean jetting due to my K&N air filter and shortened Leo Vice exhaust. A new DynoJet kit is on the way.
the crankcase? do u have to take the cover off how do u pour it in there?
r6_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
Irillus
YZF-R you kidding?

Same exact hole you put your oil in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement