Downshifting and rev matching? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 04-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Tattooed4Life
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2003 Silver/Black R6
Send a message via MSN to Tattooed4Life
Downshifting and rev matching?

Hey guys im kinda new to the r6, im just wondering if when I downshift I should rev match or is it fine to just very slowly let the clutch out after downshifting?
Also when approaching a stop, instead of downshifting can i just pop the bike in neutral, or will this have adverse effects on the bike?
Thanks!!
Scotts Damper
Power Commander USB (PCIII USB)
HID Lights
Zero Gravity Double Bubble screen
Mirrors with integrated turn signals
Pazzo Racing levers
Tattooed4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Loopus
Torn apart from my bike

Bike: 2009 R6
Re: Downshifting and rev matching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed4Life View Post
Hey guys im kinda new to the r6, im just wondering if when I downshift I should rev match or is it fine to just very slowly let the clutch out after downshifting?
Also when approaching a stop, instead of downshifting can i just pop the bike in neutral, or will this have adverse effects on the bike?
Thanks!!

Bikes are made to do whatever u wanna do with em. U dont need to really watch the rpms while down shifting unless ur pegging the tach ind in 3rd and wanting to go to second for some weird reason.. but if your slowing down from regular riding then i usually just listen to the bike sound and go with the flow.

And with stopping i usually just pop it into second then first and let the motor slow the bike down while slightly using my front breaks when coming to a stop.. I dont see why u need to put it into neutral but if thats what u wanna do then go for it... but when the light turns green and ur still coasting and need to get back up to speed u have to throw it back into 1st or second... /Shrug

In the end do what u like, these bikes takes lots of abuse... Hence them going 70 in first gear no prob ;-)
Old 04-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
AK-27
The One you love to hate

Bike: 07 R6

yea your not going to do any damage to your bike down shifting. In fact its good for the bike to get it up into those high RPM's. These things are built for alot of stress on the engine, hence the 17K or so red line. They are very high end race engines, honestly they arent really built to drive daily at low RPM's around town, but they do the job

Mod List:
* Full Akra Exhaust
* PCIII
* 6K DDM Tuning HID kit
* Gold Powder Coated Rims
* Woodcraft Frame Sliders
* Rear seat cowl
* Stainless Steel Break lines
* New Mich PP's
* flush mounts / custom rear peg LED blinkers
* Speed Screen tinted wind screen
* Vortex 520 Conversion kit (not installed yet)
AK-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
kbrok
Mr. Sixxer

Bike: 2005 Yamaha R6
Send a message via AIM to kbrok

Do what you gotta do man just downshift and its fine use the clutch of course. and as far as slowing down yea you can put it in nuetral but who knows if someone behind you doens't see you or something happens and you have to get outta there na pinch you prolly want to be in gear

2005 R6
Fender Eliminator
No Cut Frame Sliders
Flush Mount Front and Rear Turn Signals
Custom Slashcut Exhaust GP Style
Akropovik Header and Midpipe
Integrated Tail Light
BMC Race Filter
Smoked Windscreen
Vortex 520 Conversion (15-50)(-1,+2)

Future Mods

PC3
kbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Loopus
Torn apart from my bike

Bike: 2009 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrok View Post
Do what you gotta do man just downshift and its fine use the clutch of course. and as far as slowing down yea you can put it in nuetral but who knows if someone behind you doens't see you or something happens and you have to get outta there na pinch you prolly want to be in gear
Exactly... I dunno how many times a bike has saved my ass by having it in first and being able to be gone in .2 seconds
Old 04-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
r6_me
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrok View Post
i always keep mine in gear even at a red light until the car behind me stops. sometimes people cant see u and u want to be able to get out of the way quickly
r6_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
blue03r6
doing your fat girlfriend

Bike: 03 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6_me View Post
i always keep mine in gear even at a red light until the car behind me stops. sometimes people cant see u and u want to be able to get out of the way quickly
what are you going to do ride into the intersection in front of oncoming traffic or into the car in front of you?

guys, If it's going to happen, you will never be able to react fast enough to avoid it.

it's like the guy saying he doesn't need a seatbelt because he can put his hands up and hold on.

as for downshifting, if you are racing or track riding you should at least blip the throttle or let the clutch out slow on downshifts if you have a slipper clutch.
it will momentarily lock the rear if you do not.
on the street, it depends how you are riding.

and you can actually damage an engine downshifting. if you are downshifting and making the engine hit way up in redline zone you should wait until you slow down a little or hold out the gear longer.
I believe they call it "over revving" and it can damage the engine

it makes me want to close my eyes when I see guys in videos do this at the track. it's so easy to destroy an engine like that. and the power of most bikes falls off long before the redline anyway.
when you see professional riders they never do this to an engine. they let it come way down in rpms. you don't need it at the redline for a corner.

Last edited by blue03r6; 04-09-2009 at 04:21 PM.
blue03r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
rchristian56
Zombies may bite!!!!

Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6

I will answer in 2 part since you asked two questions

Quote:
I would rev match a lot less stress on the clutch. When you say your going to let out slowly on the clutch there will be a lot of friction on the plates this way and this is how clutches are burnt out. When using a clutch on a bike you want to be engaged or not.

Quote:
Thanks!!
Oh corse you can just pop it into neutral, will have no ill effect on the bike what so ever.

Most of the time I downshift and rev match ever instance where I'm slowing down but that may be a little bit of habbit. I have a problem comming in hot to all my turn on the street.

There are track we call no brake tracks (like Roebling Road) that you do not have to use your brake at all (idealy) just by using engine braking. It really does help using the engine brake and with the newer R6 the addition of the slipper clutch is a plus plus++. use it it's there to be used and get the feel also check out the slipper clutch write up on the forum it's a great read and a great mod to do if your into that.

Well I hope I helped and as always ask away on here only free knolegde will be giving freely.
ccs#109
Robert

<Click> Blue03r6<----(thats my spell checker)

Ride it like the wifes at home with the kids

Mods: Fluxcapacitor, what else would I need?
rchristian56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
rchristian56
Zombies may bite!!!!

Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6

P.s. sorry about all the spelling I just read it and will take to long to fix....

Also Blue03R6 has a point about watching the RPMs I did not mention in hope that you would know that but +1 on that point watch where you at before you go jumping down gears
ccs#109
Robert

<Click> Blue03r6<----(thats my spell checker)

Ride it like the wifes at home with the kids

Mods: Fluxcapacitor, what else would I need?
rchristian56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
danaatscootdotnet
www.1seven1.com

Quote:
Thanks!!
Slipper clutch .. gotta love it!

I've been trying to break my long-time habit of matching revs. Smooth clutch release and the slipper clutch should do the job and upset the chassis less than blipping the throttle.

-D
danaatscootdotnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement