HOW TO: HID install using stock EVERYTHING : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Appearance and Exterior Mods

Old 04-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Agg2001
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001
HOW TO: HID install using stock EVERYTHING

edit (7/30/10): well, after having this thread posted for quite some time, somebody figured out how to do what i couldn't figure out - get the bulb wire harness connections off. if you're looking to not splice the bulbs themselves, then change the "wiring/cutting/splicing portion" of the install to THIS and then carry on with what i've got. good luck either way - b/c it aint hard, but it aint easy. just tedious.

well, after much debating, and waiting for the right time to snap pics along the way, i'm going to go ahead and elaborate on Zac's awesome "how to install HID" thread. this thread will explain/show you how to wire up your housing using the stock location/harness and other than a little solder/heat shrink... it's a piece of cake, imo.

first start with zac's thread, and follow those until you've got the headlight housing off. i placed mine on a soft towel on my shop bench with the windscreen part facing DOWN (you'll be working on it upside down... it's easier that way). ONE MAJOR DIFFERENCE between how he did it, and how i did/do it, is i leave the harness plugged onto/into the housing, and simply unplug the main harnesses from the bike. either way will work... but my pictures have the harness still on the housing.

i start by cutting the useless connectors off the supplied "plugNplay" wiring unit and pull the wires out of that big grommet that they're wired through. you'll also pull the bulb wires through once you cut them, but that's later on.

this is with the dustcaps off and the stock bulbs removed. this is easy enough, so i didn't snap any pics along the way. if you can't do this, you're already screwed. notice the stock wiring harness in the grommet above each hole... clip those wires, and pull them out... the blue side you need, the other side you don't.

install the new bulbs, and reattach the screws/spring that holds it in place.

you're going to have to cut these bulb power wires in order to feed them through the stock grommet. go ahead and pull that big grommet off those wires... you won't need it anymore. cut them NO LESS THAN 2" from the bulb... otherwise, it's too hard to work with.

be sure to think about which way will be out, and put the big plugs on THAT side... i used a mini-needle nose pliar to pull the wire through the grommet. works like a champ. once you're done putting the grommet back in, add your heat shrink to one side (prolly easier if you do it on the bulb side of the splice), solder them back together, and then move the shrink up over the splice and heat her up. i always pull ALL THE EXTRA wire into the housing for this part b/c you'll need the extra play in the wire. once you're done putting the heat shrink on it, you can pull the excess back out through the grommet. and now you're now done with the bulbs. put the dust caps back on at this point to protect your hard work so far. (fyi... i use 3/16" heat shrink for a solder, and 1/4" for a butt-splice)

now then, the blue harness that was originally in the stock grommet will now be soldered to the power wire that you snipped first. same story... solder/heatshrink... here's what you've got.

this is what it looks like once everything is ready to mount back up to the bike. after you get her mounted up, you simply plug the power supply (blue harnessed one) into the ballast, and the ballast back into the two little plugs that go to the bulbs.

this next part is tricky... odds are you, you crossed the positive/negative somewhere along the lines. this isnt' the end of the world. one/both of your lights don't fire up, simply unplug the ballast side of the blue harness, and switch the pins. take a tiny screw driver and look into the harness, and you'll see little bitty tabs next to the pins. press those tabs, and pull the wire out from the bottom. switch em, and you should be good to go. i think there's a good how to on R6messagenet.com about removing harness pins.

finished... and not warmed up yet 10000k HIDs in ASTEBBS bike. yeah behhbbb!

anyhow, i hope this helps ease some of y'all's concerns about wiring up a set of HIDs... like of told MANY of y'all via PMs, it's not hard, it's just a little tedious and time consuming. but when you do it right, it turns out nice and they look CLEAN!!

good luck... i know anybody can do this.

fwiw... a butt splice can be substituted for the solder if you want. just be sure to heat shrink it to keep the color from showing.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

Last edited by Agg2001; 07-30-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Agg2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
kin
Batman wants my bike...

Bike: 06 R6
Send a message via AIM to kin
Re: HOW TO: HID install using stock EVERYTHING

where can u get the heat shrink and solder?
and what is a butt splice?

Mods: Full MJS Performance System, Agg Racing Smog Block off plates, Graves no-cut frame sliders, T-Rex Racing spools, Greggs flushmounts, CA integrated tail light, DDM Tuning 8000k HID kit, custom fender eliminator, DB Puig black screen, Michelin Pilot Power tires, etc.
kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
killa kali
^^ tallest Yamaha rider^^

Bike: 2004 R1

heat shrink and solder can be bought at Lowe's...

excellent write up Agg
killa kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
eric_holmes
Wheelie Retarded

Bike: 2009 R6 Gold on Black

+1 for you

My only question is how do you get the bottom of the plastic cover off of the bulb?

Let the modding begin...
Planned Mods:
-1/+2
Integrated rear taillight
rear sets powder coated satin black
Full Leo Vince Exhaust
Completed Mods:
FE kit
clear tank pad
6000K HID
Black ASV levers with gold adjusters
Hotbodies Smoked Flushmounts

Last edited by eric_holmes; 04-11-2009 at 02:51 PM.
eric_holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
Agg2001
Original Member-Vendor

Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_holmes View Post
+1 for you

My only question is how do you get the bottom of the plastic cover off of the bulb?
there's actually two of them that you have to remove. the black one AND the clear threaded one. i used scissors and cut em off... just be careful not to cut your fingers if you try to crush it with your hands *coughGP1300Rcough*

Old 04-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
osyris_dc
Eats chicken strips

Bike: 08' black

EXCELLENT.

For those that may get confused with the positive and negative wires connecting to the blue oem connector, look closely at the connector.

Where the wires entire the connector, there is a blue stem that protrudes from the main body of the connector. Where this stem and the main body meet, there are markings.

The positive side of the connector has a "24 +" marking.

O you could go the ikea route and just match the wiring with the pics above.
osyris_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
eric_holmes
Wheelie Retarded

Bike: 2009 R6 Gold on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by osyris_dc View Post
EXCELLENT.

For those that may get confused with the positive and negative wires connecting to the blue oem connector, look closely at the connector.

Where the wires entire the connector, there is a blue stem that protrudes from the main body of the connector. Where this stem and the main body meet, there are markings.

The positive side of the connector has a "24 +" marking.

O you could go the ikea route and just match the wiring with the pics above.
I'm so noob! Positive=Red?

Let the modding begin...
Planned Mods:
-1/+2
Integrated rear taillight
rear sets powder coated satin black
Full Leo Vince Exhaust
Completed Mods:
FE kit
clear tank pad
6000K HID
Black ASV levers with gold adjusters
Hotbodies Smoked Flushmounts
eric_holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
Agg2001
Original Member-Vendor

yes... but it doesn't matter. b/c the bulb wires are both black. so really, just hook it up, and flip those two pins in the blue harness at the end if it doesn't work. it's an extra 3 minutes - IF THAT. good luck man.. YOU CAN DO IT!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
LegoZ
I eat my R6

Bike: 2005 Yamaha R6

you guys need to get a spare set of bad bulbs and splice a patch harness in so if the bulb fails you can easily swap... mine is not yet this way and if anything fails it will be a pita to resolve... I have had bad bulbs and ballasts now with stuff off ebay so you just need to plan for it to fail at some point and reduce the pita factor in replacing stuff...
LegoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
Agg2001
Original Member-Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoZ View Post
you guys need to get a spare set of bad bulbs and splice a patch harness in so if the bulb fails you can easily swap... mine is not yet this way and if anything fails it will be a pita to resolve... I have had bad bulbs and ballasts now with stuff off ebay so you just need to plan for it to fail at some point and reduce the pita factor in replacing stuff...
i think i see what you're saying... maybe add a harness or quick-connect right here in the housing so if/when the bulbs go, you can simply open the dust cover, and disconnect and replace. makes sense. nice idea!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement