No Throttle Response : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
andressb
My R6 eats me.

No Throttle Response

For a class project we completly disassembled an '06 R6, and have now reassembled it. We had a little issue trying to get it started, but after running the diagnostics discovered that the bank angle sensor was put back in upside down. With that corrected, the bike started right up and responded to throttle input as expected.

After getting up to operating temperature it started to idle rough and stalled. We can start it, but it needs a slight twist of the throttle to keep idling (if you let go the engine dies). It you twist the throttle fully open, it remains close to the idle speed (engine won't speed up). We ran diagnostics again and found no fault codes. We visually verified the throttle plates do open completly, and throttle position sensor via the diagnostics verify's that.

We've got a week to get this resolved. Where do we look now?

Last edited by andressb; 07-26-2009 at 02:47 PM.
andressb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Dave_Stumph
I eat my R6

Bike: 06 R6
Re: No Throttle Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by andressb View Post
For a class project we completly disassembled an '06 R6, and have now reassembled it. We had a little issue trying to get it started, but after running the diagnostics discovered that the bamk angle sensor was put back in upside down. With that corrected, the bike started right up and responded to throttle input as expected.

After getting up to operating temperature it started to idle rough and stalled. We can start it, but it needs a slight twist of the throttle to keep idling (if you let go the engine dies). It you twist the throttle fully open, it remains close to the idle speed (engine won't speed up). We ran diagnostics again and found no fault codes. We visually verified the throttle plates do open completly, and throttle position sensor via the diagnostics verify's that.

We've got a week to get this resolved. Where do we look now?
A bad TPS sensor will give no faults.

In Diag mode
#1 TPS throttle valves Signal 1 suppose to be between 10-24 up to 100
#13 TPS throttle valves signal 2 supose to be between 10-24 when throttle closed up to 100 fully open
#14 TPS for throttle cable pully signal 1 suppose to be between 10-24 up to 100 wide open
#15 TPS for throttle cable pully signal 2 Suppose to be set at 10-24 when throttle closed up to 100 wide open

Now for the Metering test, you can follow me on page 8-97 in the manual!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvv

In the manual It just ask to measure maximum resistance between 2k-3k ohms: If you get that on BOTH TPS's Throttle valves and Throttle cable the TPS's should be good. Also I know this may sound stupid but check your fuses. the 7.5amp fuses are the throttle by wire fuses which controls the output from the ECU (i think)
If all checks out....you need to adjust the TPS throttle and cable sensors or possible replace?

Try to keep an open mind as there could be other issues that have the same effect. Spark plugs, coil packs ect!!!!! But because you started your bike and it responded to throttle.....makes me think its not the TPS sensors...fuse mabey?

Keep us informed!!
Dave_Stumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
andressb
My R6 eats me.

I made a mistake, it's an '05 (not an '06).

We checked the TPS, coil packs, plugs and injectors, and everything appeared to be functioning correctly. We could get it to run just off idle, but no response. We started looking at all the vacuum lines and everything was hooked up correctly. Playing with the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator we were able to bring up the RPM a little. After that we decided to replace it with one from a crashed bike and we got a huge improvement in response , but it felt like the cylinders were missing and it wasn't running as smooth as it should. We decided to replace the plugs since they got fouled up with us running it with the excessive fuel pressure and we brought it back to life. We installed al the plastic, cleaned it up, and the instructor took it for a spin.
andressb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:32 AM   #4
Dave_Stumph
I eat my R6

Bike: 06 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andressb View Post
I made a mistake, it's an '05 (not an '06).

We checked the TPS, coil packs, plugs and injectors, and everything appeared to be functioning correctly. We could get it to run just off idle, but no response. We started looking at all the vacuum lines and everything was hooked up correctly. Playing with the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator we were able to bring up the RPM a little. After that we decided to replace it with one from a crashed bike and we got a huge improvement in response , but it felt like the cylinders were missing and it wasn't running as smooth as it should. We decided to replace the plugs since they got fouled up with us running it with the excessive fuel pressure and we brought it back to life. We installed al the plastic, cleaned it up, and the instructor took it for a spin.
Good find man!! Glad you got her up and going
Dave_Stumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement