Engine ice for regular street use? - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:55 PM
The Black Widow

Bike: 2005 Raven
Re: Engine ice for regular street use?

I often found that at stop lights or cruising at low speed on a hot day my temp would rise to 205+. Though i'm sure it is normal I switched to engine ice and it seems to help out in those situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 11:41 AM
My R6 eats me.

How often to change Engine Ice?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 AM
My R6 eats me.

205? That's pretty low it seems. I had an RSV4 that would push high 230's on hot days. It was quite unpleasant.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:57 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

it's actually garbage. I've seen many guy's bikes puke this stuff out after being ran hard. just use regular coolant. peak, prestone, zerex etc.

and yes, 205 on a R6 is normal. the fans come on at 215 and turn off at 212. while you're moving around 50 and above your bikes should be around the 180 to 190.
remember the bike's come lean from the factory. running a map with a lower air fuel ratio like 13.5 to 1 instead of 15 to 1 will make it run cooler too. also your engine oil choice, it may be inadequate. engine oil's second job is to cool the engine. if you're using car oils STOP. they're not designed for high revving engines and keep it cool.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-17-2019 at 03:02 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:04 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
.......... if you're using car oils STOP. they're not designed for high revving engines and keep it cool.
Supposedly they contain friction modifiers that aren't good for wet clutches.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:34 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Supposedly they contain friction modifiers that aren't good for wet clutches.
yeah it's not that the oil is bad per se. its you don't know what the additives are and if they have a negative affect. if they say they passes Jaso MA or MA2 certifications then it should be ok for the clutch. the other thing to consider if you want to use car oils is that the manufactures are the voices behind what the oil companies have to do to make their oil meet their specifications.
flat tappet engines are history in cars. but in motorcycles such as sportbikes they are the current design. so a car oil will have less of the additives or properties needed to protect these engine parts. zinc is one of these additives. most modern car oils have very little if any of it. whereas a motorcycle specific oil has a lot to protect the lifters and cams.
people just think oil is oil. but if they had the data presented to them they'd realize how much damage they can be doing by using car oils in a motorcycle. yeah I've seen the stories of guys always using it and have over 100k. but I don't know if they're telling the truth. I'll stick to using what standardized testing(jaso, sae and astm) proves and what engineers recommend.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-18-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:41 PM
My R6 eats me.

should be fine.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:02 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I had an issue with the stock coolant (blue came with the bike, used @ 1300 miles) where sometimes if i sat for too long it would go past 230+ and my light would come on. Now between having a ECU flash that made my fans come on sooner, and switching to Cool-Aide, it stayed around 210-220 in traffic. Even when running fairly hard it stayed 195-205, and it just bothered me. I flushed it and swapped in Engine Ice yesterday, and since then i have not seen my bike go over 212 and that was when i actually let it sit and idle in my driveway for about 10 minutes after a decent ride. It's staying between 190-208 now. I cannot attest for what others have been through, but so far, out of all my others bikes (13 zx6r/15 CB1000R/15 FZ07) this bike seems to run the hottest, and the engine ice has dulled it to a point of not even noticing.

BTW, its been fairly same temps over the last month or so, being 90+ every day, and i've been riding the bike on almost the same route...So i know for sure Engine Ice has helped me, personally. I always used the Cool-Aide on my other bikes, so i know i've been mixing it right, as well as flushing the system in the same exact fashion.

As far as oil, when i got the bike it still had a yamaha oil filter on it, so i put about 200 miles on it and then parked it until i got some Mobil 1 and a new filter, just to be sure in case either only the oil was changed or no break in at all was done. Boy i'm glad i did. Nasty ****ing oil, whoever owned it before me may have not even done the break in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in