What oil is best? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

What oil is best?

Can I use 5w30 or is there a better oil to use?
Fram filters just as good or should i spend more money on a good one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:17 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: What oil is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trever Ehrfurth View Post
Can I use 5w30 or is there a better oil to use?
Fram filters just as good or should i spend more money on a good one?
no don't use fram filters. buy yamaha filters. you need to use 10w40 or 20w50 motorcycle grade oil is recommended..most street bikes only need 10w40. a race bike could use 20w50 and air cooled engines typically need 20w oil but water cooled engines are fine with 10w40
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:18 PM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W
Don't use K&N either.

2017 #1 Middleweight F40, #3 Formula 40, #5 GTU, #10 Middleweight GP
2016 Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP
2016 Sportsmanship Award, 2015 Crash & Burn Award, 2014 Sportsmanship Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#132 Proudly representing DC-Moto.net,
, and

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:25 AM
I eat my R6

Would be happy to never touch a k&n again. my prev owner liked them and apparently installed one with an impact wrench, socket wrench rounded out the flimsy little pocket and i had to drive a screwdriver thru the body as a lever to get the filter moving. napa gold or wix are my go-tos
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:35 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

I typically use 20W-50 during the Summer (think, traffic on a 93F day) and 10W during the many months where "cold" starts are a factor.

@
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- What's up with K&N? Are there any known issues with volumetric throughput, bypass or the effectiveness of the filter media? I normally stick with manufacturer brand oil filters for my vehicles but this one has been exception due to the limited local availability of the Yamaha filter + the super easy wrench-off of the K&N. (@gpounce - the previous owner, unwisely, wrenched that filter on - the only reason there is trouble getting any filter off - should also apply oil to the gasket before mounting)
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:05 PM
I eat my R6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
I typically use 20W-50 during the Summer (think, traffic on a 93F day) and 10W during the many months where "cold" starts are a factor.

@
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- What's up with K&N? Are there any known issues with volumetric throughput, bypass or the effectiveness of the filter media? I normally stick with manufacturer brand oil filters for my vehicles but this one has been exception due to the limited local availability of the Yamaha filter + the super easy wrench-off of the K&N. (@gpounce - the previous owner, unwisely, wrenched that filter on - the only reason there is trouble getting any filter off - should also apply oil to the gasket before mounting)
they rupture and blow out seals. happened so much k&n finally did a recall when enough motorcycle owners bitched. also motoamerica, wera and a few other race orgs banned aftermarket filters because of K&N.
they use yamaha filters on the factory MotoGp bikes making 250hp and 17k rpm. it's good enough for your R6

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 04-07-2019 at 03:11 PM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post

@
- What's up with K&N? Are there any known issues with volumetric throughput, bypass or the effectiveness of the filter media? I normally stick with manufacturer brand oil filters for my vehicles but this one has been exception due to the limited local availability of the Yamaha filter + the super easy wrench-off of the K&N.
As mentioned, they rupture. I have seen it first hand at the track. CCS has banned them as have the org I coach for (MARRC). Since they decided to outsource their shells to a cheaper Chinese company, there have been a host of failures. Hiflo Filtro used to make them for K&N and there was never an issue. If you like the nut then just get the Hiflo. Another option is Amsoil filters which are made in the US (Hastings makes some of them, Amsoil makes the rest) and you can use a spider wrench or cup to install / remove them.

2017 #1 Middleweight F40, #3 Formula 40, #5 GTU, #10 Middleweight GP
2016 Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP
2016 Sportsmanship Award, 2015 Crash & Burn Award, 2014 Sportsmanship Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year

#132 Proudly representing DC-Moto.net,
, and

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:30 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

There is nothing special about the Yamaha filters. The filter for the R6 is widely used in cars and bikes:

I have used the Mobil M1-108 and Ryco RMZ119 no problem on both my MV and R6. The main thing is they have a bypass valve and good filtration. Some filters cut corners on filtration to increase flow. Mobil is one that has good flow and filtration. K&N don't filter as well as others to get the flow much like their air filters....

Avoid K&N.

Oil is fine as long as it meets or exceeds the specs in the manual:
SAE10W-30 or SAE20W-40
Recommended engine oil grade: API service SG type or higher, JASO standard
MA

I use Penrite because it is available locally (Australian and known as good quality producer) and exceeds the specs:

Last edited by R6trackrider; 04-08-2019 at 05:35 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:15 AM
#KeepPounding

Bike: 2007 R6

I use Motul 300V 4T 10w40 and Yamaha OEM filters. I know its good quality stuff, and it smells like bananas. Whats not to like?
Straight Success likes this.

-07' Team Yamaha Blue R6 "Carmen"
-18' Toyota 4Runner ORP "?"
-08' Nissan Xterra Off-Road "Katrina"
-93' Ford F-150 sitting on 35's "Sandra"
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:48 PM
I eat my R6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6trackrider View Post
There is nothing special about the Yamaha filters. The filter for the R6 is widely used in cars and bikes:

I have used the Mobil M1-108 and Ryco RMZ119 no problem on both my MV and R6. The main thing is they have a bypass valve and good filtration. Some filters cut corners on filtration to increase flow. Mobil is one that has good flow and filtration. K&N don't filter as well as others to get the flow much like their air filters....

Avoid K&N.

Oil is fine as long as it meets or exceeds the specs in the manual:
SAE10W-30 or SAE20W-40
Recommended engine oil grade: API service SG type or higher, JASO standard
MA

I use Penrite because it is available locally (Australian and known as good quality producer) and exceeds the specs:
I quit using car filters because they now have tiny little slits inside the metal tube for the oil to flow through. the yamaha and Hiflo filters have much larger holes in that tube. btw, denso makes the yamaha filter which also makes suzuki and I believe honda as well.

hey if they put them on rossi's bike they're good enough for me.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 04-11-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in