Built motor Questions - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Built motor Questions

Hi,
I am building a motor over the off season. JE 13.1:1 +2 mm pistons, Carrillo light weight rods from KWS,cometic mls gasket, custom web cams, etc... I am trying to find a set of HD valve springs and retainers. YEC made a set, but I'm told its discontinued. Any help would be great. Thank you!

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:00 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: Built motor Questions

run stock cams, no need to run HD springs.
If you are roadracing this engine, i suggest running the stock cams anyway. the engine is more rideable and will make more than sufficient power. you need to have Kevin at KWS do the head work and give you good cam timing #'s. Ya may want to consider the CP 14:1 pistons they sell, but I ran the JE 13.5:1 for years. They are pretty darn good, and are less $ than the CP pistons.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

WEB is making me custom cams, I know someone who works there, figured it was worth a shot. Kevin is doing my motor work, that's why I'm getting the Carrillo rods from him. Nobody makes springs and retainers? Ferrea, or anyone?

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:11 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVR6 View Post
WEB is making me custom cams, I know someone who works there, figured it was worth a shot. Kevin is doing my motor work, that's why I'm getting the Carrillo rods from him. Nobody makes springs and retainers? Ferrea, or anyone?
what are you hoping to accomplish with the custom cams ? what are you doing with this engine ? i don't care if you got them for free, i personally wouldn't run a custom grind in this motor for roadracing. there simply is no way to improve on the stock cams for reliability, and ridability. But that is me. If you are getting good guidance on the cam grind, you should be fine.. but you better talk with Kevin about this.

If you are drag racing or the like, then you could potentially disregard what i'm telling you as i would be the first to tell you I don't know what would be best for drag racing.. but for roadracing, i know a thing or two. We talk with Kevin at KWS on a fairly regular basis too and years ago, he was one that helped set me straight on that. You can make one very strong and reliable SB motor using stock cams, springs, and valves. I can also say that if you are discussing this motor and the cam grind with Kevin, he will be able to tell you if what you are doing will work well. He knows R6 motors.

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 08-17-2013 at 09:14 PM.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

I spoke with Kevin already about this. If you're not familiar with web cams, maybe you should familiarize yourself. Everyone around these parts is so inside the box. I'm an outside of the box guy, I know well how motors work, I've built a few 1000+ whp cars and cams play a huge roll. Like I said I spoke with Kevin about this and he thinks its worth a shot, worst case, I swap stockers back in. I came I'm here looking for info on aftermarket valve springs and retainers, not looking for opinions on what I'm choosing to do. No offense. Ill be running MoTeC on this bike as well! Oh Em Geeeee!!!!!
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Kevin is a huge web cams dealer as well, go figure!
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:04 PM
I eat my R6

What year R6? Just wondering I'm planing a rebuild on an 03. I haven't been able find much for valvetrain either.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:07 PM
I eat my R6

Haven't built cars running those numbers but have built quite a few. Why aren't you building this motor minus some it the machine work.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1s1ks1x View Post
Haven't built cars running those numbers but have built quite a few. Why aren't you building this motor minus some it the machine work.
I picked up a spare motor for $500, 2006 with 11k on it. Got the FSR forged JE pistons for a great price. 13.1:1 cr, Kevin is applying the lightweight Carrillo rods, have a big bore cometic head gasket, and Kevin is gliding my head work. Figured might as well go for a fun over bore motor, with a beautiful KWS head. Looking to make 235+rwhp, in a fully streetable bike. Just sinething different. I can't wait. I really need to find valvetrain components though. Apparently YEC discontinued the valve springs and high pressure oil pumo unfortunately. :0(
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:52 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

ok. So not a closed course roadrace bike.. i understand now. yes, Kevin will get you sorted. He knows his stuff. Again, i was saying stick with stock cams for roadracing (as in knee on the ground closed course competition). If you want a "go fast" street bike, anything goes. You are not as worried about full lean angle closed throttle, to open throttle situations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in