Technician

Bike: 08 YZF R6
Re: 2009 R6 Track Bike

Sorry

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Technician

Im surprised the stock header did not fit with optimals race body work. I have the same ones coming in this week :/ Was checking out the MJS header as well. Interesting. Bike looks sick!
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:52 PM
MIL-SPEC RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbammin View Post
Im surprised the stock header did not fit with optimals race body work. I have the same ones coming in this week :/ Was checking out the MJS header as well. Interesting. Bike looks sick!
Lot of the race bodywork won't work with the stock cat. Plus you don't want that giant heat source in a enclosed space.

MIL-SPEC Racing
FMRRA Amateur #762
WERA Amateur #762

2009 R6-
2013 ZX-10R- ****FOR SALE****
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Garage
Stock Exhaust vs. MJS

I had read (on the Optimal site) that the stock exhaust wouldn't fit. I never tried to fit the stocker with the bodywork fitted. The stock exhaust box is huge and pretty heavy. Here is stock exhaust next to the MJS - I'm pretty sure the stock box wouldn't fit into the lower.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The MJS eliminates the catalytic converter honeycomb and the muffler box, along with all that weight. It includes a bung for the O2 sensor I needed the Power Commander Autotune. And comes with a plug in case you don't need an O2 sensor.

Here is the MJS header installed with the stock slip-on. Interesting that the bike is not that much louder than stock, especially considering removal of all the baffles and catalytic stuff.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There is plenty of room for the MJS with the Optimal lower attached. No rubbing anywhere. I bought some heat reflective material to line the lower, but there were no places where the pipe even came close. The stock slip on comes within an inch of the edge of the lower where the pipe comes out. I have no heat reflective stuff there and no discoloration. The system doesn't even get very hot at that point anyway, probably cause I ride too slow to ever get the bike hot.

2009 R6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

So I decided to check out the link in your sig. I have to admit that I was laughing even more.

Striking similarities to say the least. I also picked up a '09 300 XC-W some time ago for the same reasons.

Actually I bought an '08, but it had the electric start deleted. Then found a '09 less than two weeks later with the stock easy button setup. So I bought that one too. Then stripped both down to the frame and took the best parts from both and put them all into one, and sold the other one. I laughed way too hard because I can completely relate to the "well it'll be a cheap bike" then the next thing you know you just dump a couple grand and quite a bit of hours into it. Haven't done a top end in it yet, but every chassis bearing is new from front to back. New 410 watt starter setup. All that fun stuff. But damn does it run.

But it's fun. And wheelies like a mofo. I dump it over so many time each time I go out I lost count. But I'm having a blast doing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15941423_10211451406385998_3235826235033782774_n.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	332914  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Technician

Do you happen to know the weight differences between the two headers? gahh I knew I would have to go this route but didnt want to spend the money!
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Hey Highside,

I've been practicing my wheelies. Not so good, probably cause I don't want to bend my brand new subframe when I drop it. I have gotten a bit better, but still in first gear. I think I need to start them in second and maybe learn to "clutch-up." Then I'll graduate to the R6 so I can do standup wheelies over the finish line at track days - maybe once before they meatball me.

I enjoyed the nearly total rebuild of the KTM. The KTM rebuild got a lot easier when I discovered the 2007 the PO sold me was actually a 2008. I also had to get a full range of star/torx bits, since that was about the only bolt type on the KTM. Gave me a perspective on how dirt bikes are built today. (My last real dirt bike was a 1971 CZ 360. Had a 4-speed and wouldn't start without about a 1/2 mile tow with a VW. I put a Mikuni carb on it and it became like a Japanese bike.)

The 2008 KTM was the first of a design change, right? Assuming the 2009 shared the same design.

2009 R6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Jbammin,

I didn't weigh either when I had them off, but I'd guess the stock was about 15-20 lbs and the MJS was about 5-8 lbs.

End of last year, I discovered the bracket on the MJS header that attaches under the bike broke off. It was a clean break and I had it welded (stainless steel and I only have gas and stick welders and no stainless steel welding skills). When I bolted it back in, I put some spacers between the mount and the bracket so I wasn't stressing the mount at all. So far so good after two track days.

2009 R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in