1st Gen R6 Track Bike - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2000 R6 & 2015 R3
Garage
1st Gen R6 Track Bike

Does anyone else track a 1st gen R6? I recently wrecked mine got a pretty bad concussion and decided to completely tear down and start from scratch. Long story short I picked up my 2000 R6 for $600 runs and drive.
I've got a few questions and looking for some help or ideas. This is my first full track build.

I've redone the wiring and planned on removing the clutch side switches, but worried about the choke. Any suggestions on possibly relocating that? Im also looking into doing a keyless entry. Any suggestions on how to wire that to just a simple small toggle switch?

Im sure I will have more questions the more I start putting thing back together. I replacing every nut and bolt on the bike. The put way to much trust in the kid I bought it from and the bike was literally put together with just random hardware and nothing matched...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Any help tips, tricks or ideas are very appreciated !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	358802   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	358804   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	358806  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:31 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650
Re: 1st Gen R6 Track Bike

I wouldn't worry about the left side switches and such. You will probably still want the clutch switch so you can start in gear. And of course the choke. No one else removes the left side stuff. Replacing the key with a toggle switch is easy. I can't recall the color codes, but there are only 4 wires and it is obvious when you look at a wiring diagram. The Gen1 is a fine track bike. Concentrate on getting the suspension right for your weight. If you don't have tire warmers get some Q4's for the track.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1guy View Post
I wouldn't worry about the left side switches and such. You will probably still want the clutch switch so you can start in gear. And of course the choke. No one else removes the left side stuff. Replacing the key with a toggle switch is easy. I can't recall the color codes, but there are only 4 wires and it is obvious when you look at a wiring diagram. The Gen1 is a fine track bike. Concentrate on getting the suspension right for your weight. If you don't have tire warmers get some Q4's for the track.
I was thinking about that too. I've been in the garage every single night doing little by little trying to do this the right way. Im still debating on repainting the frame and swing arm. I did wet sand it and clean it to but still doesnt look "nice" Ive pulled all the wiring out for any lights and cleaned that up in some nice wiring looms. Cleaned and degreased the motor. Im replacing all the main wearable items like sprockets, tires and what not. Started drilling bolts for safety wiring. I do have a set of Q4s waiting for it and tire warmers. I got a base suspension tune on it now that I had done when I took it to its first track day. I plan on doing everything the correct way so I dont end up on the ground again

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

We just finished relocating the choke lever on my son's bike. We used a lever from a fzr600 (it mounted on the frame, between the frame and fairing) and mounted it to the front sprocket cover. Of course this required building a custom cable, but it does look quite nice down there.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 08:13 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojay64 View Post
I was thinking about that too. I've been in the garage every single night doing little by little trying to do this the right way. Im still debating on repainting the frame and swing arm. I did wet sand it and clean it to but still doesnt look "nice" Ive pulled all the wiring out for any lights and cleaned that up in some nice wiring looms. Cleaned and degreased the motor. Im replacing all the main wearable items like sprockets, tires and what not. Started drilling bolts for safety wiring. I do have a set of Q4s waiting for it and tire warmers. I got a base suspension tune on it now that I had done when I took it to its first track day. I plan on doing everything the correct way so I dont end up on the ground again
It sounds like you have the right attitude and are going about getting the bike ready for the track logically. Just don't put too much time, effort, or money into aesthetics. Doing things the 'correct way' has nothing to do with ending up on the ground. You WILL end up on the ground sooner or later.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1guy View Post
It sounds like you have the right attitude and are going about getting the bike ready for the track logically. Just don't put too much time, effort, or money into aesthetics. Doing things the 'correct way' has nothing to do with ending up on the ground. You WILL end up on the ground sooner or later.
Bikes been sitting since its been cold in the garage. Finally, got a great deal on a set of race fairings for the bike so I now have the motivation to start working on it again. Hopefully, if I can keep the garage warm enough I can finish the controls and get the carbs back on.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:12 PM
My R6 eats me.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2002 R6; 2007 R6; 2004 R6

My first track bike was a first gen and I loved it. Rebuilt it from the frame up just like you are and for the same reason; so I knew everything was right. Eliminated the left side switches, bypassed the clutch and sidestand switches, and went very simple with the choke cable. Just cut off the end and use a cable ferrule to make a small loop in the end of the cable. Pull it with your finger to choke it. Not necessarily very aesthetically pleasing, but functional... and track bike, lol.

Also, I hope you marked all of your wiring connectors for reassembly. Otherwise you'll find that most of the 2 wire connectors are identical and can be plugged into multiple locations, only 1 of which is correct. Ask me how I learned that... the wiring schematic will be your friend.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:18 AM
My R6 eats me.

the 2005 r6 was awesome on track. Missing this bike
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

So heres the latest update. The bike is DONE and has seen the track for the first time this season!! For having the whole thing ripped apart I must admit it did better than I imagined. I started the day off at 2:11 and ended the day at a 1:59 at NJMP Thunderbolt. First session was wet so I babied it, second session I blew a coolant hose and and third session i blew the fuel pump hose in half. Managed to put a temporary fix on it which ended up starving the pump and only giving enough fuel up to 11,000 RPM. Took it home the same night, made all new hoses and lowered the front triple tree to the 1/2" it was suppose to be at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56437482_10214912095420085_48803206578307072_n.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	361042  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in