The Ray - 2001 R6 Rebuild Log - Page 4 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Fill it with wires!

Garage
Re: The Ray - 2001 R6 Rebuild Log

Bought a hiflofiltro foam air filter to replace the K&N with. It should be here by next weekend.

I'm going to be pretty upset if I bought that expensive K&N for nothing. That's just the way it goes sometimes, I should have read up more beforehand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:23 AM
Drop a gear and DISAPPEAR

Bike: 99 R6
There a idle screw with s knob on it on the carbs so you can adjust your idle at a stop light if needed. Was that alll the screwed in???

RESPECT the machine! If you ever hop on your bike and you are 100% comfortable, SELL IT cause you will end up hurting or killing yourself!!
post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Fill it with wires!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAndHEldJEsuS View Post
There a idle screw with s knob on it on the carbs so you can adjust your idle at a stop light if needed. Was that alll the screwed in???
It wasn't, I probably had it actually adjusted further out than it should be to combat how lean the bike was running.

Newbie with a project.

post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:45 AM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2002 YZF R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctag View Post
I didn't have the screws out today, but next time I have the carbs off I'll measure them! Although I'm pretty sure there are variety packs you can get that'll cover what you need.
You would think so but the o-rings in those are too thick from the ones I've seen. I went ahead and ordered 2 pilot screw sets from Partzilla. Thanks anyway.

I saw a special screwdriver for adjusting mixture screws but it was expensive and I don't know if it even works in the tiny space on our R6s.

You have the service manual pdf right?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Fill it with wires!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sped105 View Post
You would think so but the o-rings in those are too thick from the ones I've seen. I went ahead and ordered 2 pilot screw sets from Partzilla. Thanks anyway.

I saw a special screwdriver for adjusting mixture screws but it was expensive and I don't know if it even works in the tiny space on our R6s.

You have the service manual pdf right?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ah, that makes sense. Sorry I didn't get to it in time.

I think I can scrounge something up, I just need to cut a regular screwdriver down to be short enough to get under the carbs.

I do have the manual, thanks!

Newbie with a project.
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:30 AM
My R6 eats me.

For what it's worth...
Here's an article on that motion pro driver.

"Naturally, I havenít tried this tool in every possible application, and Iím sure there are some carb screws that it wonít reach. I found it suitable for adjusting the carbs on a Yamaha YZF600R and an older R1, as well as a Honda 599. It also got the job done on our Project Re-Cycle FZ1, though not as easily as it did on some of the other bikes."

So maybe it will work, huh?

Here's where to get it, you must have browsed right past it. lol

They've also got this one for $25 bucks! It may work and it may not.

Bike bandit has a shit ton of tools! I'm browsing through them like a kid looking through the toy section of the Sear's Christmas catalog!
post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Fill it with wires!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sped105 View Post
For what it's worth...
Here's an article on that motion pro driver.

"Naturally, I havenít tried this tool in every possible application, and Iím sure there are some carb screws that it wonít reach. I found it suitable for adjusting the carbs on a Yamaha YZF600R and an older R1, as well as a Honda 599. It also got the job done on our Project Re-Cycle FZ1, though not as easily as it did on some of the other bikes."

So maybe it will work, huh?

Here's where to get it, you must have browsed right past it. lol

They've also got this one for $25 bucks! It may work and it may not.

Bike bandit has a shit ton of tools! I'm browsing through them like a kid looking through the toy section of the Sear's Christmas catalog!
I actually didn't know BikeBandit had tools.. That's awesome!

Yeah, those things are expensive, but now that I see it has a way to measure fractions of a turn... That does seem really useful.

Thank you for the info!

Newbie with a project.
post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:10 AM
My R6 eats me.

FYI
I put a Factory Pro Jet kit in my bike (replaced the Dynojet kit previously installed) and later replaced the #38 pilot jets with #40's and that made a noticeable difference. I have a full aftermarket exhaust and stock air filter. I'd like to try stock needles shimmed like a lot of people say is the best setup as far as the needles go but I don't have the original needles since they were replaced before I acquired the bike.

We'll get your bike up and running smoothly long before the end of the season! Let me know if you have any questions as I'll likely be pulling my carbs this weekend or next week sometime, ugh! Those f'n intake boot clamps screws! I noticed in the picture you posted of your engine with the one intake boot off that your screws are backward from mine. Are they easier to get at coming in from above the carbs coming in from the front of the bike? I suppose you wouldn't know, if that's how they came on your bike. I think the stock setup has the hex screw head pointed towards the rear of the bike which is a huge PITA! I use a modified hex key about 6" long and most of the short part cut off so I have some grip to turn but doesn't hit the engine when I spin it.

Even with a short screwdriver you'll still have to remove the tank and airbox to adjust the mixture screws, right?
post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Fill it with wires!

Garage

Hmm, yeah I definitely need to play around with the main jets. I wish I had a decent base setting to work off of though.

Thanks man, I'll let you know if I have any questions! I probably will, I'm pretty lost with this stuff haha.

Yeah, with the carb boot clamps like mine I can get an allen key to them without /too/ much hassle. That whole part is just a PITA though, I think regardless of the direction they go in. Now that I've done it a few times it's going a little faster.

I have a flathead "bit" that goes in a multi-screwdriver and I've tried using it without pulling the carbs, but it's just too inaccurate, so I'm going to have to start unseating the carbs to adjust.

Speaking of which, I just went out and put the Hiflofiltro air filter on the bike, and reset the pilot screws to 2 turns out. Started but won't stay running, just goes "Blub blub BLUB blub BLUB" and quits if I stop cracking the throttle... I'm considering going back to the stock main jets, even though the dynojet kit instructions say to use the jets I have if there's a hi-flow exhaust installed, which there is (I think).

Newbie with a project.
post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Fill it with wires!

Garage

OK, I put the stock main jets back on the carb (148 on inner, 152 on outer). And stock needles (N7SA on inner, N7SB on outer) with a washer shim on each since I'm still worried the exhaust will make the bike too lean.

Put the carbs back on, tightened the boots, installed the air filter.

Bike will start and idle roughly. I let it get up to ~120F. Blipping the throttle feels like the engine is too rich, it lags and threatens to die. But if I hold the throttle open the engine works up and then revs higher than it should and stays there after I let go (as though it's too lean) and then I hit the killswitch.

Newbie with a project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in