The Ray - 2001 R6 Rebuild Log - Page 7 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 81 (permalink) Unread 07-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Drop a gear and DISAPPEAR

Bike: 99 R6
Yes try the removal of the tank I was gonna say that next was that is sounded like you have a vent line in the tank Kinked or there s hole on top of the tank for a vent as well make sure the hole ain’t blocked or the hose aint kinked. Now if the bike has been flooded it can still fuel foul the plugs!! But if it’s a lean condition then the plugs are fine. These little tiny hole rift where the butterfly meet the carb bodies open i the butter fly and get you one stand of copper wire and shove it in them holes then blow with carb cleaner and air I’ve had good luck doin that too

RESPECT the machine! If you ever hop on your bike and you are 100% comfortable, SELL IT cause you will end up hurting or killing yourself!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 (permalink) Unread 07-07-2019, 02:46 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2002 YZF R6
Re: The Ray - 2001 R6 Rebuild Log

The forum timeout is too short!!! Can this be changed so I don't end up typing shit twice?

Try this again...
If after your bike dies and you turn the key off and back on can you hear the fuel pump run? It shouldn't have to and would indicate that it wasn't able to keep the float bowls filled which at only idle rpms is no good for sure but you have a new one coming so hopefully you're good to go.

Once you get it going and actually get into tuning buy a set of #40 (x4) pilot jets, they really help smooth out the lower end and cruising rpm range. I don't believe they include them in any jet kit but I only bought the factory pro so not sure.
I've never used my choke even in cold weather. I broke off my lever too.

I just cleaned and installed my 2 new pilot screw kits and did a carb clean. Time to go back out and put the carbs back in and attempt a carb sync with some Harbor freight vacuum tester gauges I just bought.

You sound like you may have read this but here it is for reference, the factory pro tuning guide.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good luck!
post #63 of 81 (permalink) Unread 07-07-2019, 09:55 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2002 YZF R6

Also, check out the marketplace here for parts. This guy has a bunch of parts still. I noticed he has a fuel pump for $25, not that you need it anymore lol

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 81 (permalink) Unread 07-20-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Fill it with wires!

Garage

Arg, the forum didn't send me email notices for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounce View Post
Oh drag lol.

I just discovered my prev owner had the rear out of line by quite a bit- think my right side aduster block is the wrong one- after string aligning the wheels the right block is 2 marks or so further in. Bike feels good now, had a tendency to veer before and the chain was too tight- much more comfy, should have checked that months ago...
Glad to hear you got that sorted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAndHEldJEsuS View Post
Yes try the removal of the tank I was gonna say that next was that is sounded like you have a vent line in the tank Kinked or there s hole on top of the tank for a vent as well make sure the hole ainít blocked or the hose aint kinked. Now if the bike has been flooded it can still fuel foul the plugs!! But if itís a lean condition then the plugs are fine. These little tiny hole rift where the butterfly meet the carb bodies open i the butter fly and get you one stand of copper wire and shove it in them holes then blow with carb cleaner and air Iíve had good luck doin that too
I'm not aware of any vent line :-/ I've had the petcock off and the strainer in the tank looks OK. I see the holes in the carb you're talking about, I'm not sure I can reach them with a wire, but I'll try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sped105 View Post
The forum timeout is too short!!! Can this be changed so I don't end up typing shit twice?
I hear that!
Keep having to re-type my messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sped105 View Post
Try this again...
If after your bike dies and you turn the key off and back on can you hear the fuel pump run? It shouldn't have to and would indicate that it wasn't able to keep the float bowls filled which at only idle rpms is no good for sure but you have a new one coming so hopefully you're good to go.

Once you get it going and actually get into tuning buy a set of #40 (x4) pilot jets, they really help smooth out the lower end and cruising rpm range. I don't believe they include them in any jet kit but I only bought the factory pro so not sure.
I've never used my choke even in cold weather. I broke off my lever too.

I just cleaned and installed my 2 new pilot screw kits and did a carb clean. Time to go back out and put the carbs back in and attempt a carb sync with some Harbor freight vacuum tester gauges I just bought.

You sound like you may have read this but here it is for reference, the factory pro tuning guide.

Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestions! The new pump is on the bike now, but the battery went dead while it sat... :-/ Charging the battery now.

Newbie with a project.
post #65 of 81 (permalink) Unread 07-20-2019, 12:36 PM
I eat my R6

If its not one thing its another... I have a sympathy job in the shop now- a good friend's bike with clutch issues he's been struggling with for a while. I think its plates binding but we'll see. While setting it up, got the battery out (nearly dead), glanced at the clutch/brake reservoir sight glasses (half empty), and apparently he left his pingle open and the case is probably full of gas (this is the $$$ 0% ethanol gas I gave him). I did a complete brake teardown and overhaul on this bike back in April, I'm placing bets they will be a mess again... bonus, I get to fix his bike outside in the 1,000 degree weather lol we'll see maybe it'll be so bad I put the R6 outside so I can bring his inside for the AC...
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Unread 07-21-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Fill it with wires!

Garage

OK, battery is charged and I tried getting the bike to run some more today.

Tried 2, 2.5, and 3 turns out on the mix screws. 2 and 2.5 were pretty much indistinguishable, the bike would start, idle then idle super high before suddenly bogging down and quitting. At 3 turns the bike just acts rich, and if I engage the choke it dies.

I keep reading threads on how aftermarket exhaust necessitates a jet kit, but using the jet kit I have doesn't seem to do any better... I wouldn't mind buying those #40 jets and trying them, but it feels like an expensive thing to test without really knowing.

Newbie with a project.
post #67 of 81 (permalink) Unread 07-21-2019, 02:39 PM
I eat my R6

float valve(s) leaking? If you turn on the key & run button but do not start does the pump run for a while and then stop?
post #68 of 81 (permalink) Unread 07-23-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Fill it with wires!

Garage

Quote:
float valve(s) leaking? If you turn on the key & run button but do not start does the pump run for a while and then stop?
Maybe.. Turning the ignition on after sitting overnight, the fuel pump will click about a dozen times, but slowly. If it's priming after pulling the carbs it'll go "clickclickclickclickclickclick" but this morning it went "clickclick click click click.. click.... click"

Without some "base tune" to start at and a methodology for determine changes from there, I'm losing hope of getting this bike running. It didn't help that the weather outside today felt like Fall, it feels like I wasted the summer with the bike planted in the garage.

Newbie with a project.
post #69 of 81 (permalink) Unread 07-24-2019, 04:52 AM
I eat my R6

There isn't a "base tune" aside from having OEM jets, af mix at factory spec, good vacuum, clear passages, working fuel pump and floats working right. If those things are present a mechanically correct engine will operate normally and be a candidate for adjustment with jets, AF tweaks and so on.

Your fuel pump sounds pretty reasonable, so that is probably about right. Over the spring that cb750 I did needed new float valves and bowl seals- have you had the bowls off etc? A few years ago I had dirt in my Bandit's fuel line which jammed up the float valves, caused all kinds of mayhem.

Last edited by gpounce; 07-24-2019 at 06:41 AM.
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Unread 08-10-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Fill it with wires!

Garage

Quote:
There isn't a "base tune" aside from having OEM jets, af mix at factory spec, good vacuum, clear passages, working fuel pump and floats working right. If those things are present a mechanically correct engine will operate normally and be a candidate for adjustment with jets, AF tweaks and so on.

Your fuel pump sounds pretty reasonable, so that is probably about right. Over the spring that cb750 I did needed new float valves and bowl seals- have you had the bowls off etc? A few years ago I had dirt in my Bandit's fuel line which jammed up the float valves, caused all kinds of mayhem.
I have the OEM jets and needles, but the bike still doesn't want to idle with them installed. Right now I'm operating with the understanding that the high-flo exhaust is throwing things out of whack.

I've had the carbs entirely apart and cleaned them a couple times now, I'm confident they're clean, but I'll clean them again if I can't make any more headway.

I guess I'm going to go back out today and try setting the carbs back to stock everything and record what the bike startup sounds like.

Newbie with a project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in