2000 Yamaha R6 Rebuild! Frame paint! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

2000 Yamaha R6 Rebuild! Frame paint!

Here's some brief info on me,

To start off, Im just an Asian kid from the projects of Brooklyn, NY. In 2015 I was incarcerated and spent some time in prison on firearm charges, It is nothing that im proud of, but as a kid I always loved bikes anything with a motor, I also had a knack for working with my hands which i guess i developed as a child since i loved legos when I was a toddler.

Anyways.. In 2012 I bought a 2000 R6 which turned out to be a total lemon.

This bike had nothing but problems, it was obvious the bike was dropped but i was only about 19 at the time, and I wanted nothing but to ride. So with the limited amount of funds I had I bought it. There was no battery tray on the subframe, the wiring was all messed up, the fairings were cracked, and painted on at least 4 different times. Not to mention broken tabs everywhere. The rear shock was shot, It was bouncy as F---, there was so many accessories missing on the bike, such as turn signals, mirrors etc etc. The levers were bent, and last but not least the IMFAMOUS 2ND GEAR HICCUP! Fortunately It's not that bad. and another plus was that the bike started up and ran atleast. although when i bought it one of tires had a nail in it and i had to replace the tires which was my first mod on the bike, Brand new Michelin tires.

Unfortunately I dont have pictures of how the bike first looked when i bought it, but basically The only fairings on the bike was the front cowl and the tail. There rest of the bike was naked. I left the fairings at a friends house and his sister ended up throwing it away.

Dec. 2nd 2018 I was released from prison and the bike been stored away in my cousins garage this whole time, and i decided to bring it back to life and this is my Journey. So enjoy. I will be updating this thread as often as possible.

PS: I have no mechanical experience besides from doing my own oil change, brakes and stuff on my car, but i just paid and attention, tried my best to be patient and refer to the factory service manual. So If I can do this Im sure anyone can, dont be afraid!.

Here's how she looked when I got here, i already started tearing her down notice the tank and rear subframe is off

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The tear down begins!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I removed the airbox, carbs, radiator, exhaust and the shifter linkage, disconnected all wires and dropped the motor.

The motor

I labeled every wire with masking tape to know what is what and where it goes

Swingarm and forks came apart, Now it feels super weird because i just had a bike in my living room and now it's gone

Prepping the frame for paint, sprayed it down with purple power degreaser, soapy water and light sanding

Primer

Base, I decided with flat black and a flat clear (rustoleum) because i decided a flat paint would make the actual fairings really shine when i paint it.

Swingarm

After clearcoat and a night of drying i decided to start putting it back together

Even tho i didnt paint the front fork yet, i couldn't help but to get it back together to see how it looks

With the tank on

Forks get paint!

God damnn! the brake pads are non existent!

Handlebar and wiring gets tucked in

jesus christ look at all those wires

Test fit on my Ebay fairings

Oh man she's looking good

Engine goes in!

Originally i was gonna go with an all black scheme with a gold trim, but im really diggin the white!

Installed the new brake pads today, holy sh-- look at the differences!

I just finished up on the wiring today, everythings all plugged, for tommorow i will be cleaning the carbs and keeping you guys updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:19 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Re: 2000 Yamaha R6 Rebuild! Frame paint!

lookin good, keep plugging away at it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in