New to Track - 05' R6 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

New to Track - 05' R6

Just did my first moto track day with N2 at Summit Point. Had a blast, and found a lot I need to work on. Mainly body position overall on the bike.

I want to upgrade rear sets to help with that, and then also get rid of cheap brake/clutch levers. I saw the RCS19 which looked awesome but wasn't sure if there were cheaper quality options out there. Any good recommendations for the rear sets?

Anything else I should upgrade while I'm at it? Brake lines, clutch pack, sprocket, clip ons, etc?

I'm also open to buying any of this stuff used, but I didn't see much for my bike in the classifieds.

-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650
Re: New to Track - 05' R6

Most people use Vortex or Woodcraft rearsets. You can usually find spare parts for them at the track WHEN you need them. Your stock clipons are just fine.

Get some good Vesrah track (not race) pads, and some braided brake lines.
Your clutch is fine. When it isn't fine anymore, get another OEM pack.
Your sprockets and chain should be replaced as a set. If it ain't bad, it's ok.

After these basics, the best $$$ to throw at the bike is suspension.

Don't sweat any of this until you get a few more novice days behind you. Your old stock bike is better than you are. I don't know you or your bike, but this is true. See my avitar? It is an '05 R6.

Last edited by FZ1guy; 07-10-2019 at 11:58 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1guy View Post
Most people use Vortex or Woodcraft rearsets. You can usually find spare parts for them at the track WHEN you need them. Your stock clipons are just fine.

Get some good Vesrah track (not race) pads, and some braided brake lines.
Your clutch is fine. When it isn't fine anymore, get another OEM pack.
Your sprockets and chain should be replaced as a set. If it ain't bad, it's ok.

After these basics, the best $$$ to throw at the bike is suspension.

Don't sweat any of this until you get a few more novice days behind you. Your old stock bike is better than you are. I don't know you or your bike, but this is true. See my avitar? It is an '05 R6.
I just did EBC HH's and Motul600 on brakes right before the track day, didn't have any fade but that's because I was braking way before marker 5. But, I don't like how my brake lever feels a tad mushy at the end, even after several full bleeds. I'm thinking maybe getting a new lever/master cylinder + SS lines is the best upgrade besides just more seat time.

Love the RCS19 Corsa Corta, but it's just so damn expensive. Worth it, or are there other cheaper options out there for a better lever feel?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

I used to run the EBC-HH pads. They are good but I like the Vesrah better. The brake lever moves about 3/4" and no more. After that it's about how hard you squeeze, not how far you squeeze. I also have an old R1 master, if that matters.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
My R6 eats me.

It's probably not your brake fluid if you have changed it recently.

It's likely the stock brake lines. You notice significantly less effort to brake and more consistent braking throughout the day.

I had a RCS master cylinder I upgraded to when I was racing, honestly not a huge difference over OEM. Race brake pads also just a small improvement.

I have an extra pair of SS lines if you want them, just pay shipping. I'm parting out my 05 race bike, I just need to post it here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in