Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

fried my ecu...

5K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Panici 
#1 ·
yep, thats right. i was hooking up my speedo healer and for some stupid reason that i cant explain i hooked the small red wire up backwards and sent 12 volts to the speed sensor instead of the SH. the speed sensor is hooked straight to the ecu so i sent 12 volts where it wasnt supposed to go and fried my ecu. i have no explanation as to why i did this. i am so pissed/upset/mad/sad that words cannot explain how shitty i feel. i feel as if a member of my family just died. :(

and for those of you who will question me, yes, i checked all the fuses. none of the sensors are fused. i checked the fuses, then look up the fault code i was getting (Err 2, then it would blink Err 1 and Err 2) and it said "Internal ECU Malfunction." Then i looked at the colored wiring diagram in the service manual to make sure i didnt miss anything only to find that none of the sensors are fused. my fu<kin ecu is fried.

to add insult to injury i am a mechanic. i should've never done what i did and dont know why i did it.

gunna take it to the shop tomorrow and try to pull a fast one on them but dont think i'm going to get very far. all the electrical mods (integrator and flushies) i installed myself which if i'm not mistaken voids the warranty since there is no proof that i didnt cause it. i'm just going to tell them that i went out to my bike and it wouldnt start and threw this code at me. if they ask about the mods i'm going to say that i had another shop put them on. if they ask for documentation i dont have it and didnt know that it would void the warranty.

I checked out mrcycles.com and the ecu costs $857. i can pay for it, but either way my plans for this weekend to goto deals gap is now shot to shit. anyone who has been watching the thread knows how excited i was about going.

like i said... i feel like a member of my family has just died...

i really hope the dealership will cover it...

SO! now my words to the wise... DOUBLE CHECK, no TRIPLE CHECK that if you wire ANYTHING up on your bike, no matter fused or not, that its hooked up right. or you could end up in my shoes, and trust me, these are some shoes i wouldnt wish on ANYONE!!!

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
Sorry about your loss Seasoned. I hope you get that baby up and running as soon as possible. These things happen man, just let it go. Cheer up lad. :fact :flex:

Good Luck btw :drink

#11 ·
as long as the wires on the main wiring harness are untouched visibly, id say you should be ok for the warranty way out. Maybe go in for an oil change and the concern, if u put some money into the dealer they may help u out a bit more in return.

i dont kno where the wires go into the harness for the healer so i can't think of where it's messed up at. good luck man!

#12 · (Edited)
seasonedfries said:
gunna take it to the shop tomorrow and try to pull a fast one on them but dont think i'm going to get very far.

ReauDog said:
Now we got the f*#king "Moral Police" up in here!
I'm a firm believer in karma so dude don't be an idiot and try to cover up for your wrong doing. :thumbdown

Since it's fried, try opening it up and see if it's something that you can fix like a surface mounted resistor or transistor.

#13 ·
i checked all the fuses. they were all good. and as far as karma goes, i've had the worst luck in the world with anything and only had the best intentions with life an people. i help people all the time so its about time i get my "what goes around comes around" thing to come into effect. so really i dont care what you have to say about me sucking it up, if i can get it done for free, then hell yea i'm gunna get it done for free. you would too, so i dont want to hear it. if it happened to you then you'd be singing a diff story...

on another note, i dropped it off at the dealership and they didnt say anything about the mods affecting the warranty so i might be good. if so i'm going to shoot the mechanic $50 or so for the troubles since i know they dont make shit for money on warranty work.

thanks to those who gave their support. its much appreciated.

#14 ·
seasonedfries said:
i checked all the fuses. they were all good. and as far as karma goes, i've had the worst luck in the world with anything and only had the best intentions with life an people. i help people all the time so its about time i get my "what goes around comes around" thing to come into effect. so really i dont care what you have to say about me sucking it up, if i can get it done for free, then hell yea i'm gunna get it done for free. you would too, so i dont want to hear it. if it happened to you then you'd be singing a diff story...
Well actually you did care since you replied but thats besides the point. We can even have a internet pissing contest but what's that gonna prove. :poke

Do what you got to do with the dealer but if nothing happens I think I saw a oem ecu on superbike plant.

#15 ·
Arnold_R1 said:
I'm a firm believer in karma so dude don't be an idiot and try to cover up for your wrong doing. :thumbdown

Since it's fried, try opening it up and see if it's something that you can fix like a surface mounted resistor or transistor.
I'm a firm believer in keeping money in my pocket

#17 ·
i have actually checked on ebay and i didnt see any... maybe i was looking for the wrong thing... i typed in "2006 R6 ecu" and nothing came up. the one i found for $857 was on mrcycles.com i also checked r6mn for 06's being parted out and didnt come up with much. didnt come up with much here either. but trust me you, i will look harder if the dealership wont take care of it. i'll be posting wanted ads as well. my buddy has a friend from back home who has his own racing team. drag, track, you name it. he said he would talk to him if i needed him to. and if i have to buy a new ecu, i'm going to try and get one of those gytr ones. little bit more money, but hey, if i gotta spend the money i might as well make it worth it.

Arnold, you're right. but in all honesty i really would rather not hear all that crap. just like no one else wants to either. guess we'll just leave it at that. thanks for the heads up though.

Reaudog, thank you, i couldnt have said it better myself

#18 ·
ReauDog said:
I'm a firm believer in keeping money in my pocket
Not me, I like to move my money around; CD's, money market accounts, stock options etc. I'll gross more profit that way! ;)

seasonedfries said:
Arnold, you're right. but in all honesty i really would rather not hear all that crap. just like no one else wants to either. guess we'll just leave it at that. thanks for the heads up though.
I understand your frustration, shiet I'd be pissed too. Don't worry kid, I'm trying to help ya out. Try contacting this guy from Vegas. He seems to carry a lot of oem parts and maybe runs a salvage yard. I didn't bother sorting through all the pages of parts but try contacting him and see if he has one or can get one.

http://stores.ebay.com/allpowersports_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ0QQftidZ1QQtZkm

#19 ·
I have 3 solutions:

Solution the First: New bike :yes

Solution the Second: Get New ECU Clicky
Cheaper at yamaha: $723

Solution the Third: Get racing kit (only $6K) and have race bike <---obvious choice

#20 ·
too bad that ECU you found is for an 05. and if i had $6K to blow i certainly wouldnt spend it on that. i'd rather buy leathers and all the other stuff i need to do track days. and a new bike is definitly out of the question. thanks though.

update: the dealership still hasn't looked at it. if i dont hear something by mid next week i'm going to start diggin in their asses....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.