Slipper vs. non-slipper clutch? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Slipper vs. non-slipper clutch?

Well let me just start off by mentioning that I have never ridden a bike with a slipper clutch so I have no first-hand experience with them. In fact, the only bike I have ever ridden is my '05 R6. I just did my 3rd trackday this past weekend and I am definitely getting better and more confident out there. I was consistently downshifting to 2nd gear for corners that on my other 2 previous ocassions I would always take in 3rd gear. Needless to say, this involved alot of rev-matching while under heavy braking, which I have been practicing on the streets as well lately. I never used to do brake and rev-match at the same time before until recently, but now its like 2nd nature and now can't imagine not doing it while setting up for corner entry primarily on the track but on the street as well too. I was gearing down fairly aggressively too with the rear end getting squirrely on a few instances, which has me wanting to start practicing "backing it in".

With that said, it has me wondering at how aggressive downshifting feels on a bike with a slipper clutch. Is it alot harder or virtually impossible to get the back end to come around a bit? I'm not sure I would even prefer a bike with a slipper. It would be nice though to be able to switch the feature off, kinda like whats available with the 370z Nissan's synchro-rev match feature. What are your thoughts on this? Does it detract from the overall rider involvement at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800
Re: Slipper vs. non-slipper clutch?

I rarely ever feel the clutch slip on mine when on track because I rev match on every down shift.

If you want to back it in but your slipper is making it tough to break the rear loose, use the rear brake.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Spin it upppp

Bike: 2006 R6 Black

NEVER use the rear brake to break the back end loose on corner entry! Are you crazy? If your going to back it in you ALWAYS have to do it on the clutch. Rear brake should only be used for trail braking and suspension settling. Worst advice ive ever heard ^^^^

Also did you read the post at all? He said he DOES NOT have a slipper and is wanting to know the difference and if it will make it easier.

The answer to that is no, slipper clutches aid in a smooth back in. Your standard clutch makes everything more jerky but will teach you better rev matching. Learning on a slipper can make you a little bit sloppy bc it'll treat you so nicely when you send shifts home. Going back to a standard clutched bike can be an eye opener. Backing it in will come naturally as you pick up speed and get better with the bike on a slipper. Its kinda like putting your knee down. To many people focus on getting the knee down than actually going fast and then you end up on your head.

It is an art to go big on a slide in corner entry. If its for the show then dropping it to first and learning how to release the clutch smoothly will earn you big slides. If its for going fast you wont have a big slide unless you cook the corner and are in a desperate bid to stop the bike. Believe me it'll just happen...

Edit: Be careful on those cold tires, they can come around on you in a heartbeat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnPlayerSpecial; 05-26-2011 at 11:21 PM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPlayerSpecial View Post
NEVER use the rear brake to break the back end loose on corner entry! Are you crazy? If your going to back it in you ALWAYS have to do it on the clutch. Rear brake should only be used for trail braking and suspension settling. Worst advice ive ever heard ^^^^
Well, I don't do it. But the person I witnessed doing it is indeed quite crazy.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 PM
track is legal heroin

Bike: 03 R6

LOL, was he on a track or stunt riding. jesus i couldnt imagine what i would do if the guy ahead of me locked up the rear end with the brake into a turn. personally ive tried both slipper and non. i personally like the no slipper, but im so used to blipping that i do it on my buddys cruiser when i borrow it so there is a bit of difference. ive grown up with a non. what it really comes down to is your preference. and btw imo if its your second track day dont start backing it in. no one really does it on the track. its not supermoto. the corners arent near tight like that unless your track days are on a go kart track(which they may be) instead of spending time backing it in. get your suspension gold valved and do braking exercises. learn how to trail brake correctly. some ppl dont, (me personally i only do into the entrance if i feel im coming in to hot) and some trail brake all the way to the apex. but the last thing you want to do is to start throwing the back end around. your looking for a highside. if you have any kind of a art (advanced rider course) i def recommend taking that
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Spin it upppp

Bike: 2006 R6 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Well, I don't do it. But the person I witnessed doing it is indeed quite crazy.
Well... Let me correct myself... I would NEVER advise a person trying to learn how to slide on entry to use the rear break, especially as a slide activation tool... But once the rear is broken then at that point its safe to feather it as a control but i would never instigate the slide with the rear brake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in