Does a 2006 R6 make a good frist bike?? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Does a 2006 R6 make a good frist bike??

Hey guys,

For the past few months I have been looking at getting in to riding. I have read tons and tons of information but still have no experience of riding. I know I want to get into a sports bike and of course am very impressed by the R6. I have been told mixed things about getting a 600 cc bike as a first bike. Some say its all about how you ride it other say its too much power no matter what. I wanted to ask your opinion on a total beginner getting a R6 as a first bike. Personality wise whether that matters or not, I am very level headed. What do you guys think?

Oh yea this bike would be for street only at first of course since I will be learning. But with time I might go to the track...maybe. I am a total rookie right now so its hard to predict anything.

DiscoNomad

Last edited by DiscoNomad; 08-29-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:17 PM

I'll say what everyone else will eventually. If you've got little to no experience riding motorcycles, the R6 would be a horrible choice. Most boards I have read suggest starting on a 500c or less. I can't remember many of the model names but i read a lot about the Ninja 250. It's fun, sporty, and you can screw up with out killing yourself.

Also, i'm told that the R6 is not super comfortable for longer rides and is super sensitive to finicky moments like throttle blips and horrible "bouncy" turns. Reason I say told, I am in the process of procuring an R6. I've ridden a couple other bikes for enough time...
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:25 PM

I got the R6 as my first bike and have about a thousand miles on it. I am very glad I got it as my first bike. I think its all up to the maturity of the rider. I know my limitations and stick to them.
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:32 PM

am with LoCo. i bought my 06 r6 as my first bike too. so glad i did. for years i have bought cars and then got board of them soon after. where as with this, it brings a smile everyday. i currently have 6000 miles on her. steep learning curve. but as long as you know your limits and take it steady you should be fine. helps also if you have any friends that have experience. after a little while of you getting used to the bike. go out with them. only if there willing to not piss off straight away. my mates that are quicker tend to stick around me for a while, then every now and then shoot off at there pace. which is fine cos they slow down a little and i catch up.
just be level headed and know your limits
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoNomad
Hey guys,

... I have read tons and tons of information but still have no experience of riding. I know I want to get into a sports bike and of course am very impressed by the R6...

DiscoNomad
Since you have little or no experience riding any type of motorcycle, the R6 would not be a good choice. Now if you told me that you have five (or so) years experience riding a motocrosser, then the R6 would be fine. People on here will post that the R6 was their first bike and they haven't wrecked, etc., but this is of course anecdotal evidence. My 2.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Braves Fo Life!

Bike: Blue 06 R6
Send a message via AIM to Atlanta Braves Baby! Send a message via MSN to Atlanta Braves Baby! Send a message via Yahoo to Atlanta Braves Baby!
my R6 is my firsrt bike. Put 4k miles on it in 2 months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 PM

there are better choices.

you could start on anything.. harley, haybusa, ninja 250, r6.. however its much easier to learn the basics on a smaller/lighter bike (ie ninja 250) and there is MUCH more room for error.

i personally started on my 04 r6 w/ ZERO riding experience ever.. and iv put 16k miles on it in about 5 months and still havent fallen or anything -- in fact iv been to the track twice and placed fairly well.

its all a matter of self control and how serious you are about riding..

you can kill yourself on any motorcycle, a ninja250 will still accelerate faster than pretty much any non-sports car and falling off of a 250 vs falling off a 600 or 1000 is all the same, its just that you will be much more tempted to push a super sport bike (r6,r1,gsxrs, ect) than a little 250 because they can do so much more.

respect the motorcycle and learn about riding, gear, how to handle emergency situations on it.

the only thing about getting a brand new bike w/ no experience is that you probably will drop it (most likely from something stupid too -- forgetting to put the kickstand down or stopping with the handle bars no straight ect.. its common for new riders) and that is lots of $$

dont expect to hop on a 06 r6 and be able to woop on everyone (or anyone for that matter), its 90% about the rider.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 PM

first off you are going to get blasted with the "SEARCH" comment

I started on a 06 R6. I love my bike, you can't get me off it. 4000 miles later only scratch is a small mark from hitting a cone backing out of a parking space. Was it the best choice, no. Doing it over again I would have bought a smaller POS that I did not care about, or a new ninja 250 and sold it at a year old and lost less than the price of new tires on it.

But yeah it can be done

Ryan
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:52 PM

I agree with bruce and loco. It is in the rider, i bought my first bike it was the 06 r6, and I am not gonna lie, it was rather intense to learn on, but I did. I spent 2 weeks just riding in the neighborhood and I laid the bike down twice (very very little damage), that broke my heart and scared the shiyat out of me, but it taught me to respect it. You just have to take it easy if you get the 6 and stay within your limits. I have been riding for 5 months now and only regret buying the R6 when i get my bill for it every month. Take it easy, take the msf, and ride like everyone is out to kill you and you will be ok. I couldn't bring myself to buy a bike i would want to sell 3 months later, that is just me.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Well thank you guys for the sound advise. I will check out the Ninja 250. I did do a search on comments of using the R6 as a first bike but found mostly information about it being a persons first road bike or super bike. None the less I appreciate everyones advise and I will surely take it all into consideration when I move on getting into a bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in