'17 Quick Shifter programming - Page 4 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 10:51 AM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2017 R6
I installed mine the other day with no problems. Hold shifter up, turn ignition on, waited 10-12 seconds and the QS icon came on. My gear indicator showed I was in second gear when I turned the ignition on. Maybe try being in 1st gear, then holding shifter up and turning the ignition on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 04:56 PM
Maui's First 2017 YZF-R6

Bike: 2017 Yamaha YZF-R6
Re: '17 Quick Shifter programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
I installed mine the other day with no problems. Hold shifter up, turn ignition on, waited 10-12 seconds and the QS icon came on. My gear indicator showed I was in second gear when I turned the ignition on. Maybe try being in 1st gear, then holding shifter up and turning the ignition on.
Yes, I went from Neutral to 2nd and kept holding.

2017 Yamaha YZF-R6 Team Yamaha Blue
GYTR Quick Shifter Kit OEM R6 Seat Cowl OEM R6 Tank Pad OEM R6 Radiator Guard OEM R6 Engine Cover Protection Set OEM R6 Rear Stand Hook OEM R1M Rear Seat Cowl OEM R1M Front Carbon Fiber Fender OEM R6 2018 Matte Grey Tail and Undercowl Puig Double Bubble Smoked Windscreen ASV Inventions Levers Techspec Snake Skin Tank Pads SC Project S1 Exhaust MJS Headers Graves Motorsports Block Off Plates EDR Performance ECU Flash EXUP Servo Deleted Sprint Air Filter Graves Motorsports Frame Slider Lightech Front/Rear Axles Slider Driven Racing Blue Endurance Axle Cups Yamaha Brake Lever Guard by Gilles Tooling Gilles Tooling Sprocket Guard JL Designs Fender Eliminator Plug TST Industries Under tail Relocation Kit JL Designs Smoke Integrated LED Tail Light Intelligent Lighting Systems, LLC DRL Mod Matte Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger Carbon Sprocket Cover More Mods Coming Soon
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 06:49 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer172 View Post

yeah I like to do everything I'm able to do on my bikes as well, I did the QS install myself and just a note: it can not be done in 15 min. I know that wasn't your main point just just wanted everyone to know you should plan on about an hour for the install or an hr of labor to have it done for you. 15 min to swap the shift rods and set the lever, etc.. but you also have to completely remove the gas tank from the bike and put it on your work bench (no way around this) removing the fuel line, 2 breather hose hoses, mail electrical plug and I think 1 other if I remember right, and you need a 2nd person to hold the gas tank up while you do these disconnects. Reason you have to remove the gas tank completely is the QS connection you have to get to is tucked away underneath other wires & hoses just on top of the engine. It is hard to find even with the gas tank off the bike. So if you are not comfortable doing this install yourself $80 is a reasonable price to have it done right for you.
I just installed this myself, I ended up unbolting the tank and shifting it to the side slightly. I was able to reach my hand in and connect the quick shifter to the harness. No need to take the tank completely off. I was able to program it pretty quick just by holding the gear shifter up and turning the ignition on, QS light came on after about 8 seconds.
Dayna21 likes this.
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Track Time

Bike: R6, FZ-07, H2, zx-10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmstr06 View Post
I just installed this myself, I ended up unbolting the tank and shifting it to the side slightly. I was able to reach my hand in and connect the quick shifter to the harness. No need to take the tank completely off. I was able to program it pretty quick just by holding the gear shifter up and turning the ignition on, QS light came on after about 8 seconds.
I can see that working if you already knew exactly where your hands had to go to find the connection plug, but if you are searching blind for the first time it would be extremely hard without removing the tank completely, but whatever works for each person doing the install. You are EXTREMELY lucky to get the programming to engage in 8 sec.

my bikes: 2017 R6 on order... 2016 Ninja H2... 2013 Nina zx-10r racebike.. 2016 FZ-07
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I can see that working if you already knew exactly where your hands had to go to find the connection plug, but if you are searching blind for the first time it would be extremely hard without removing the tank completely, but whatever works for each person doing the install. You are EXTREMELY lucky to get the programming to engage in 8 sec.
I had absolutely no idea where the connector was, you can create enough space to get your hand in there with a light and find it. Look at the connector from the quick shifter assembly and you can imagine what the other side of the plug will look like. As far as programming, it couldn't have been easier, I simply just followed the directions that came with it. You do have to have the kill switch on in order for the programming to work. I wonder if people are forgetting that.
Dayna21 likes this.
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Track Time

Bike: R6, FZ-07, H2, zx-10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmstr06 View Post
You do have to have the kill switch on in order for the programming to work. I wonder if people are forgetting that.
So the kill switch in the position so the bike can't/won't start, then turn the key on? I think this is the first time I'm hearing of this. Was that in the instructions?

my bikes: 2017 R6 on order... 2016 Ninja H2... 2013 Nina zx-10r racebike.. 2016 FZ-07
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
So the kill switch in the position so the bike can't/won't start, then turn the key on? I think this is the first time I'm hearing of this. Was that in the instructions?
Kill switch in the position so that the bike will start (sorry I worded that weird on my last reply). The first time I tried to program it I was unaware that I had the kill switch in the on position (so that the bike will not start) and it did not program. I then proceeded to turn the kill switch off (so that the bike will start) and it programmed after about 8ish seconds. This was not in the instructions.
Dayna21 likes this.
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 02:15 PM

I having the same. Won't turn on...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 02:50 PM

So kill switch on, in neutral, hold all the way up to 2nd, then turn the key on, wait 10 sec?

post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodriry View Post
So kill switch on, in neutral, hold all the way up to 2nd, then turn the key on, wait 10 sec?

yes exactly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in