2018 Yamaha R6 Crankcase Cover torque specification - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Question 2018 Yamaha R6 Crankcase Cover torque specification

I have a 2018 Yamaha R6 and I am looking for the torque spec for the crankcase cover bolts. They are a 5mm allen head and I would appreciate the help. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 04:51 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: 2018 Yamaha R6 Crankcase Cover torque specification

you don't need it for stuff like that. it's below 10ft/lbs so you probably don't own a torque wrench that goes that low. if you did you'd already know the torque specs because you're a mechanic.
7 to 10ft/lbs is all they are going to be. it's not critical.
do not tighten just one. you need to take them all loose and tighten them little by little working your way around the cover from side to side left side, move to the right. move back to the left but the next one higher. the idea is to do it evenly so it doesn't warp the cover.
keep doing this until you get them all snug. not too hard but enough that you feel they wont vibrate out. that's all you need to do.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Thanks for responding so quickly. I am only replacing the cover that is held on by 2 of the bolts, not the main crankcase cover. Not sure what the correct terminology is for it. I found on line that the torque specs for the " clutch cover " is 8.9 ft/lbs. I couldn't find anything for the " crankcase cover" so was just checking to see if any one might know if it's the same torque spec. Being that it's a brand new bike I wanted to torque the 2 bolts back to specs. Thanks for your help.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 05:46 PM
I eat my R6

Garage

I can't think of any engine cover with just 2 bolts. are you talking about the smog block off covers on the valve cover?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

No. The cover does not just have 2 bolts. It has about 9 bolts but there is a crankcase cover 1 which is the main cover for the crankcase and then there is a crash protection crankcase cover peice that is 2 of those 9 or so bolts. So i am only removing and replacing the two bolts connecting this cover to the main cover. Sorry for the confusion.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

The piece I am referring to is #2 in this diagram. That is what i am replacing. I am looking for the torque specs for those two bolts.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:17 PM
I eat my R6

Garage

oh ok. that's just a protector bolted on with the stator cover bolts. so yeah just snug is good. loosen one of the others in the cover and you can get an idea what it feels like to a good tightness. it's not critical. unless you want to go out and buy a torque wrench that will go down that far. I worked as a mechanic for a while at a yamaha dealer and I never ever put a torque wrench on an engine cover. it's just not that critical. internal engine bolts yes. covers, no.
the new R1 uses aluminum bolts in those covers that the service manual says to replace and not reuse. that's another pile of stupid. there's no reason to replace a bolt that gets so little torque. my point is there are a lot of things in the service manual that are unnecessary.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 11-09-2018 at 08:25 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:48 PM
My R6 eats me.

hi guys i have a 2018 yzf-r6 and currently doing a motor swap. Before putting in my new motor i would like to double check all external bolts for proper torque. Apparently these specs don't exist anywhere on the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:37 AM
I eat my R6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty78 View Post
hi guys i have a 2018 yzf-r6 and currently doing a motor swap. Before putting in my new motor i would like to double check all external bolts for proper torque. Apparently these specs don't exist anywhere on the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
you'll have to purchase a service manual. the 2017 manual should be the same. the real manual from yamaha is about $80 to 90. however your idea is a bad one. don't tighten a big external bolt you see. all you should touch is cover bolts. the case halves always have internal bolts too. if you tighten a big bolt outside of the oil pan for example you can warp the whole block and damage crankshaft bearings.
these engines are sensitive to this stuff. there is even a sequence to loosening all the bolts to the engine cases.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 03-08-2019 at 02:41 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:08 PM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty78 View Post
you'll have to purchase a service manual. the 2017 manual should be the same. the real manual from yamaha is about $80 to 90. however your idea is a bad one. don't tighten a big external bolt you see. all you should touch is cover bolts. the case halves always have internal bolts too. if you tighten a big bolt outside of the oil pan for example you can warp the whole block and damage crankshaft bearings.
these engines are sensitive to this stuff. there is even a sequence to loosening all the bolts to the engine cases.
Thanks I was referring to the covers and smaller stuff that bolted onto the motor. The swap went well today. Doing the exhaust, fluid, and fairings tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in