2003 Yamaha R6 synthetic oil or no? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

2003 Yamaha R6 synthetic oil or no?

I have a 2003 Yamaha R6 and this is my first bike. I’m wanting to go ahead and change the oil because I’m not sure when the last owner did but didn’t know if it mattered if I used synthetic oil or if I just needed to use regular oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:06 PM
Forum Moderator

Bike: '03 Sliver R1'06 Raven R6
Re: 2003 Yamaha R6 synthetic oil or no?

It's fine to use. I'd go with 10w40. It's what I always put in my 2006.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Any recommended brand to use?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:50 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I've always used Mobil1 4T 10-40w, but that is up to you. Depending on your climate, you might want different viscosity oil.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:18 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNattyR6 View Post
I've always used Mobil1 4T 10-40w, but that is up to you. Depending on your climate, you might want different viscosity oil.
mobil 1 isn't actually synthetic unfortunately. that's why it's only $10 and $5 over priced. it's only petroleum that has undergone extra refining. yeah it's technically better than regular oil but it's still not a real synthetic oil and definitely lacks all of the benefits of true synthetics. a true synthetic oil is group 4 and group 5 oils. typically the bottle is typically labeled as 100% synthetic if it's real synthetic. real synthetic oil is polyol ester and polyalphaolefin.

anyway, if you want brands what are true synthetic, Yamalube, Motul, Maxima racing, MPT, redline, Bel-Ray, silkolene, amsoil. and many others. just look on the label. if you see ester on it, it's a good, real synthetic oil.
I'm currently running MPT this summer. tests results are not in but it sounds good on paper. although it seems they didn't fill the bottles completely and I need a 5th bottle to fill a 4qt crankcase.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 03-25-2019 at 02:25 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:40 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNattyR6 View Post
mobil 1 isn't actually synthetic unfortunately. that's why it's only $10 and $5 over priced. it's only petroleum that has undergone extra refining. yeah it's technically better than regular oil but it's still not a real synthetic oil and definitely lacks all of the benefits of true synthetics. a true synthetic oil is group 4 and group 5 oils. typically the bottle is typically labeled as 100% synthetic if it's real synthetic. real synthetic oil is polyol ester and polyalphaolefin.

anyway, if you want brands what are true synthetic, Yamalube, Motul, Maxima racing, MPT, redline, Bel-Ray, silkolene, amsoil. and many others. just look on the label. if you see ester on it, it's a good, real synthetic oil.
I'm currently running MPT this summer. tests results are not in but it sounds good on paper. although it seems they didn't fill the bottles completely and I need a 5th bottle to fill a 4qt crankcase.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wow I guess I havent really looks closely enough into oil. That’s good to know, will definitely try one of those brands next oil change. Thanks for the info.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

I wouldnt put too much stock in "ester" vs mineral for normal operating conditions.
You can change mineral oil pretty frequently vs the ester ones and not sacrifice wear or service life especially on a factory built engine.
Also I will state that the so called synthetic Rotella in the blue bottle... is good enough to finish inside the top 10 at the Daytona 200.

Now if you embark on a superbike type engine build...then yes the esters are dramatically better but require frequent service intervals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in