Oil on spark plug threads - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Oil on spark plug threads

So I have some bad news. About like 5 days ago I changed the spark plugs on my 04 r6 and found oil on at least two of the spark plugs and on the spark plug on the right side of the bike where it was most noticeable was wondering what you guys think it might be. I really hope its not the piston rings if you guys know of any other possibilities please let me know Im not sure if it could be a valve cover gasket or maybe even head gaskets it still rides fine I just know that if I leave it alone for much longer it can cause serious damage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:50 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Yea, unfortunately it’s either gonna be rings or the CHG.
Both are relatively inexpensive to buy, but hard to get to and tiresome to replace.
That being said, I’ve done both, and it isn’t necessarily hard if you understand what you’re getting into.

Before we get into that, let me ask you these:
Does it burn white smoke out of the exhaust?
Do you seem to be going through a lot of or are low on coolant?
Does it burn bluish smoke out of the exhaust?
Is there a leak on the sides of the case at all, where the CH meets the crank case?

Have you done an oil change recently? Did you see any “froth” or excessive amounts of cream colored bubbles in the oil?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Re: Oil on spark plug threads

Was the oil on the spark plugs on the terminal or the electrodes?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:29 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

if it's just on the threads then its anti-seize compound. nothing to worry about. not really needed on a NGK plug because it's nickel coated for corrosion resistance but nothing wrong with a little added insurance. you don't want that little thing breaking off in the head.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 03-28-2019 at 02:31 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:53 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Velazquez View Post
So I have some bad news. About like 5 days ago I changed the spark plugs on my 04 r6 and found oil on at least two of the spark plugs and on the spark plug on the right side of the bike where it was most noticeable was wondering what you guys think it might be. I really hope its not the piston rings if you guys know of any other possibilities please let me know Im not sure if it could be a valve cover gasket or maybe even head gaskets it still rides fine I just know that if I leave it alone for much longer it can cause serious damage
Don't worry about it and save money to upgrade to an R1M or something in the future.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:45 PM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W
Depending on where the spark plug has oil, it could be as simple as a valve cover gasket.

2017 #1 Middleweight F40, #3 Formula 40, #5 GTU, #10 Middleweight GP
2016 Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP
2016 Sportsmanship Award, 2015 Crash & Burn Award, 2014 Sportsmanship Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#132 Proudly representing DC-Moto.net,
, and

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Sorry for taking forever to respond I've been really busy with school and work but to avert your questions
Does it burn white smoke out of the exhaust? Only burns white smoke on start up but cleared up after a couple minutes
Do you seem to be going through a lot of or are low on coolant? I am low on coolant but to be honest I haven't added Coolant in ages
Does it burn bluish smoke out of the exhaust? Thank god no blue smoke
Is there a leak on the sides of the case at all, where the CH meets the crank case? I don't see a leak where the ch meets the crank case

Have you done an oil change recently? Did you see any “froth” or excessive amounts of cream colored bubbles in the oil and I did an oil change the week before I changed my spark plugs and it seemed like regular oil no word colors in it but now that you mention it there was a couple bubbles at most but it wasn't a weird color
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNattyR6 View Post
Was the oil on the spark plugs on the terminal or the electrodes?
I'll double check tomorrow but I don't remember seeing oil on the electrodes
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Velazquez View Post
Don't worry about it and save money to upgrade to an R1M or something in the future.

Ha good one if only I had the money I would just buy a v4
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Depending on where the spark plug has oil, it could be as simple as a valve cover gasket.
I'll double check tomorrow and update y'all on where it's at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in