What spark plugs fit the 03 R6??? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

What spark plugs fit the 03 R6???

So I had Advanced Auto order the NGK Iridium plugs that’s they said were for my bike. (keep in mind this is my first street bike and I’ve only had it a month now) Went today after work and picked them up and it was a challenge getting to the spark plugs being my first time. Once I finally got to them and loosened one up I couldn’t get it out so I put electrical tape on my socket and still couldn’t get it. Finally I got the tip of it with needle nose pliers and opened the new ones just to find out they gave me the wrong damn plugs the threads were WAYYY too big. So I put it all back together and took them back and they told me they couldn’t get the plugs that I need but told me a part number for NGK which is 6482. I looked them up on amazon and it says those fit my bike. Just for shits and giggles I pulled up another NGK plug with the part number being 2360. It says those ALSO fit but in the picture the threads only look to be about 1/4 the length of most spark plugs.. So can anyone tell me which NGK Iridium plug I need to order for my 03 R6? And any tips on how to get the spark plugs out of the 2 ends would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:41 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Garage
Looks like you need the NGK CR10EK iridium plugs.

Ive found its easiest to use a magnet to pull the plugs out if you dont have a spark plug socket.

The spark plug socket, which you can purchase at any auto parts store, comes in 2 sizes and it has a rubber insert that pops onto the top of the plug and it locks on which allows you to pull it out with the socket/extension.

I run these same plugs in my 2005 R6.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:45 PM

Garage
You mentioned the 6482 part # above. Those should be the correct plugs. They are CR10EIX plugs. Iridium and should last a long time.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:42 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6
Re: What spark plugs fit the 03 R6???

No need to waste your money on iridium plugs unless the manual specifically calls for them (which I doubt it).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Flyers28 I’m pretty sure they came from the factory with Iridium plugs
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:58 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Not according to the service manual. Service manual just says CR10EK, or CR9EK. But to each their own. If you want to spend more for a spark plug on a street bike then by all means, I just thought I'd bring to attention that Iridium plugs are not what is mandatory.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:25 PM

Garage
Flyer you are absolutely right.

I went ahead and upgraded my plugs after i bought the bike not running with 19k on the OD. I hadnt a clue when they were changed last and i was already upgrading some bolt on stuff and decided to go ahead and get iridium plugs before i had mine put on the dyno.

Iridium plugs arent necessary nor did they come factory.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:55 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

the CR10EIX has been out of production for years. NGK doesn't even list them on their website. and when they did it said fits 2005 R6 only.

but to answer the question cr10ek is the standard plug. a cr9ek is hotter and will fit also. but you don't really want a hotter plug. you want the cooler plug to draw heat out of the combustion chamber.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 03-29-2019 at 05:06 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:07 AM

Garage
To each their own. You can still get the iridium CR10EIX plugs off ebay and other sources if you so choose. But like i already stated, its not necessary and they didnt come factory. Good to know they dont make them anymore.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:22 AM

Garage
The CR10EK and the CR10EIX plugs are the exact same plug, except the EIX is iridium. Any bike that calls for a CR9EK/CR10EK will fit the CR10EIX as well. The difference in iridium plugs isnt much, but they are supposed to reduce chance of fouling and burn more efficiently. You arent going to notice any gains switching your spark plugs.

Sorry for any confusion, but i believe i already stated the CR10EX is what it calls for, and getting the iridium plugs is not necessary. Heres a link to a thread on this exact question with some useful information.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PrepareForTakeOff; 03-30-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in