Engine braking on the streets? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Garage
Engine braking on the streets?

I see alot of posts where riders are removing engine breaking from their bikes. Is this just a track only thing, or do you guys ride like that on the streets?

I tried this once but, it was way to terrifying, especially taking corners/curves where the bike just wants to accelerate. Never mind if you come in too hot. What says you guys?

Edit: fat fingered the title.

Last edited by R3R6_Toddler; 04-09-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Re: Engine braking on the streets?

subb.

I would be interested in knowing this too. I would think its for track use. I would immagine there is nothing worse for a racer than to down shift and have waaaay to much engine brake. I can almost stop with out hitting the brakes to much. When I let off the throttle, the engine brakes are awesome on my 17. hahahaha.

Last edited by Manchild; 04-10-2019 at 06:50 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:28 AM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2005 R6

Engine breaking for me is great on the streets. I wouldn't want to ride without it. Track use is a different story
Manchild likes this.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:54 AM
No i cant wheelie officer

Bike: 07 r6r
Garage

I turned down the engine braking on mine and I feel like I actually have more control when stopping now, that’s just my personal opinion don’t take that as fact but when I turned it down it felt a lot better and I only do street.

“Officer i swear to you this bike cant go over 100mph”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckeR6 View Post
I turned down the engine braking on mine and I feel like I actually have more control when stopping now, that’s just my personal opinion don’t take that as fact but when I turned it down it felt a lot better and I only do street.
How much did you turn it down?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:24 AM
No i cant wheelie officer

Bike: 07 r6r
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3R6_Toddler View Post
How much did you turn it down?
Not sure how to measure it but I sent out my Ecu to vcyclenut and told him to take off a good bit. He did not disappoint with the flash.

“Officer i swear to you this bike cant go over 100mph”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Engines are for going.
Brakes are for stopping.
Just my 2c.

I have seen too many times someone depend on engine braking, then miss a gear or hit a false neutral and end part of the scenery.
On the track, of course, but the same applies to the street.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:51 PM
My R6 eats me.

I Like engine braking i can be a bit scary at first but if you can control your throttle application, know the sounds/feel/rpm, etc. of which gear your in and don't down shift inside the turn :p. I down shift, what feels like, 50 feet before a turn maybe apply light brakes if the engine didn't slow me down enough find the speed I want for the turn and hold at that rpm till the apex of the turn and then accelerate and since the bikes in a lower gear it accelerates way smoother. I don't ride track yet but I'm going for it this summer I feel like engine braking who be an advantage on the track. Also my theory, most people crash because they use they're brakes in turns or slick areas but if you use your engine its more of a steady stopping force so you wont lose traction.

Every step I take to improve myself, improves my vision and my goal ends up being two more steps away.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:42 PM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Ford View Post
I Like engine braking i can be a bit scary at first but if you can control your throttle application, know the sounds/feel/rpm, etc. of which gear your in and don't down shift inside the turn :p. I down shift, what feels like, 50 feet before a turn maybe apply light brakes if the engine didn't slow me down enough find the speed I want for the turn and hold at that rpm till the apex of the turn and then accelerate and since the bikes in a lower gear it accelerates way smoother. I don't ride track yet but I'm going for it this summer I feel like engine braking who be an advantage on the track. Also my theory, most people crash because they use they're brakes in turns or slick areas but if you use your engine its more of a steady stopping force so you wont lose traction.
if your setting your corner speed before the slowest point of the turn and running neutral throttle, your losing to much time,[not talking long sweepers] brake later and lighter,
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:31 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
if your setting your corner speed before the slowest point of the turn and running neutral throttle, your losing to much time,[not talking long sweepers] brake later and lighter,
^^^This

Watch a real race on TV. If they are not on the gas, they are on the brakes. Never coasting.
TurboBlew likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in