Will you accept the future of electric bikes? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Helihover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Will you accept the future of electric bikes?

lets face it, at some point gas powered motorcycles will not exist. European emissions regulations are playing a key role in killing engine powered motorcycles in a hurry. companies are scrambling to meet their almost impossible standards. while the rest of the world sits on the sidelines helpless to do anything to save the industry from going all electric powered or dying off instead.
if you have no idea about Euro emissions and what it's doing to the motorcycle industry I urge you to google it. they've already began to ruin yamaha in several ways. they took away the diagnostic feature that allows the owner to self diagnose the bike with the built in ECU acting as a scan tool.

but onto the inevitable. electric motorcycles. I'm just too old to embrace it I guess. I fell in love with motorcycles because of the screaming engines. take all that away and what do you have? I mean you still need earplugs for the wind. so it's going to be too quiet. you're removing 80% of the experience in my opinion. I fell in love with the new R1 because of the crossplane engine sound. and why I like ducati and aprilia bikes too.
who wants to ride a silent motorcycle? NOT ME. it also makes you GAY.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

whats your opinions? (not about me you bastids)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Garage
Re: Will you accept the future of electric bikes?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 04-20-2019 at 06:07 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:59 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

if the demise of fossil fuel powered bikes is inevitable then whether you 'accept it' is irrelevant.

Having said that, despite the changing political climate, I think ICE powered bikes will still be around longer than you and I are alive - though it may be a question of how much youre prepared to pay to be able to keep using it if greenies / politics gets their way and puts the squeeze on by increasing taxes etc.

I cannot see a day where I would rather an electric bike.
yes yes yes they make great power and torque at low rpms etc etc etc lots of benefits.

But bikes as they are can out perform the majority of riders, so more outright performance is more a want / brag (nothing wrong with that, people want what they want) and theres elements of riding an ICE motorcycle, the noises, smells, vibrations etc that, for me, add to the experience and I will forever miss those things if ICE ever became extinct
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:11 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

ICE engines have come a good ways in 30yrs Ive been riding. In the 80s... stock BMW, GSXR, or ZX10 power cost $22,000 just for an engine. It was a big cc, stoker lump that was bolted into a spaghetti frame and required expensive flat slides & nitromethane to get there. Now folks cant ride a bike cause their quickshifter aint working? GTFO with that silliness!

Id say in 10yrs there will be the sunsetting of ICE bikes. Of course range will be the #1 issue. Will Ironbutt have a new class?? Will they be able to use Teslas superchargers to top off? When will there be a charge station riot?? Will we see the wait lines of the 70s come to light for modern EVs?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:17 AM
My R6 eats me.

Garage
I’m not too worried.

I can still go ride a horse if I want.
TurboBlew likes this.

- Black Widow -
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:34 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

I'm looking forward to the eventual changes. I don't buy into the idea that choice is going to be eliminated though. We'll still have it, it just may be more expensive than what is currently referred to as "an alternative fuel source" is all.

As far as ground transportation, all I care about is safety, durability, affordability, endurance/distance, rideability and speed. The primary issues that EVs in general have at the moment are distance, the time it takes to refuel, and the availability of rapid charging stations. The low temperature performance and stability of mass-produced Lithium based batteries may become more of an issue at some point also. All the talk of hydrogen fuel cell tech has seemed to disappear for some reason(s)... which might address the issues of refueling time and distance.

Personally, I find it hugely amusing when one vehicle is able to show up the other, making only 1/4 of the noise. Heavy ass luxury cars are often capable of this. While I wear ear plugs on the highways strictly for the wind noise, I wear them on the streets in order to prevent 45 minutes minimal of near daily abuse of my hearing. For short trips it's tolerable. But for daily traffic commutes, the 75-90 decibel (likely >98 at highway) noise is a bit much. While my helmet might be Snell rated for protecting against skull fracture, it's worthless for reducing sounds.

Re EV bikes...
Does it go? Yes.
Does it go *very* quickly? Yes.

Then what's the problem?

Look at how much progress Formula E has made with the Gen 2...

Granted, it's not going to come close to Formula 1... yet... but comparably and with the help of Governments creating incentives, the EV tech has made more strides in ten years, than "liquid go boom!" tech (a.k.a. petrol) has made in the last thirty. Still, without major breakthroughs in energy-density and power delivery, it may be a lllloooonnnnngggggggggg time yet before we start to see EV in the skies. (aside from home made personal copters and drones)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:00 AM
My R6 eats me.

Yes, especially if they outperform ICE bikes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Garage

well they're going to have to double or triple the range before I would even consider it.
I ride 200 miles minimum on sunday. as of right now they're barely doing 100 miles.

then what's going to happen at a track? run your gas generators to charge up the bike between sessions. it will never get a charge. your day will be over by lunch. what a waste of time when you could just pour in some gas. I just don't see the practically of electric motorcycles. or on any recreational vehicles.

governments are currently starting to mandate electric cars to make sounds like a normal car. I'll sell you guys a soundtrack of my R1

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-18-2019 at 02:32 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:41 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Not a fan of fake noise... or necessarily real for that matter. My vehicle came with this "Sound SymPOSER" system where they pipe engine intake noise directly into the cabin. Once I got used to matching engine sound to RPMs (turbo can ramp quick), that 'POSER system got plugged.

The European Union noise level mandate is in effect for petrol vehicles as well. Pedestrians were reportedly getting hit by vehicles because they were getting too quiet; a result of noise cancellation technology. So they mandate that they must make at least a certain level of noise.

Speaking of noise cancellation, more specifically *active* noise cancelling...

...those things work *really* well. They're engineered to allow speech while cancelling everything else out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:21 PM
My R6 eats me.

yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in