Valves and manual cct - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Valves and manual cct

Hey all,

I've got a 2012 r6. 2 things, and I'd appreciate the help

I want to check and adjust the valves. I've found only some info on how to do a valve adjustment/clearance. It seems like it'll take some time but its do-able. Anyone ever done this? Instructions and tips w pics too are greatly appreciated

I also wanna mention it has a manual cct installed, dont think that'll affect doing the valves but wanna check...

While I'm gonna do the valves I do wanna adjust if needed the cct installed. There's hardly any info on adjusting manual ccts already installed but all I hear is that it's not complicated to do, does anyone know how to adjust those too,
Which should be done 1st?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:28 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock
Re: Valves and manual cct

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out the above video.

It'll probably be obvious when you answer, but what is "CCT" ?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Cct is cam chain tensioner I should mention lol. And I think I saw that vid, I'll check it thanks. Was also looking 4 details on getting 2 valves, etc.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:22 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Valves or valve shims ?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I myself are curious about obtaining a quality kit.

It appears he's specifying 1.5 to 2.4mm... which based on this...

may be the thickness and not diameter. That chart lists nothing for our model of Yami... but does mention some bit about hardness. <<"K&L shims exceed the maximum of the Apparent Rockwell Hardness “C” scale. Our shims “average” 47.0 compared to the 46.0 maximum. .................>>

So hardness, might be a factor, or maybe even "the" factor, in quality. I'd imagine that the manufacturers use more than one way to express that attribute, however.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

I mean both valves and shims. just doing the valves... checking them and adjusting them.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:05 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

You mean just shims. You don't replace valves unless they got F'd up. Some shops will exchange your old shims for a new shim if you only need a couple.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:51 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

you can screw things up installing a manual CCT too tight. Whats wrong with the stock one??
Adjusting valves isnt hard... just need some good feeler gauges, a rectangle piece of cardboard, and a sharpie. And of course knowing your mm & thousandths of an inch math would help. Oh and dont forget your clearance ranges.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post
You mean just shims. You don't replace valves unless they got F'd up. Some shops will exchange your old shims for a new shim if you only need a couple.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I'm sure my valves aren't fd up lolll...though my gas mileage is garbage and I hear and from reading the manual that means it may be time for a valve check, course may is the key word ha
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
you can screw things up installing a manual CCT too tight. Whats wrong with the stock one??
Adjusting valves isnt hard... just need some good feeler gauges, a rectangle piece of cardboard, and a sharpie. And of course knowing your mm & thousandths of an inch math would help. Oh and dont forget your clearance ranges.

Well my stock one went bad so the manual one was put in.. everyone says the stock ones fail easier

Ok... so it doesn't sound super hard. Just tedious I'm guessing...
good 2 know &#x1f606;&#x1f44d;
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=rgygi1;5742048]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post

Well my stock one went bad so the manual one was put in.. everyone says the stock ones fail easier. And the manual cct is installed already, it just needs 2 be tightened every now and then.
I hear your supposed to tightened it hand tight, start it, see if the ticking goes away, then adjust more if it's not?

Ok... so it doesn't sound super hard. Just tedious I'm guessing...
good 2 know &#x1f606;&#x1f44d;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in